Motion Sickness Question

Cruisin Around

Hi All!

Thought I'd turn to my CC friends for a question. Has any of your children ever become sea sick and if so, what did you give them? I actually read on here a while ago that you can give Benedryl for motion sickness to a toddler. We will be traveling with our almost 2.5 year old. We are going to Bermuda from Baltimore and I hear it can be a little choppy for a while. I guess it will probably be ok because he loves to spin and shake his head and that never seems to bother him, but I want to be prepared!

Thanks!

Hi All!

Thought I'd turn to my CC friends for a question. Has any of your children ever become sea sick and if so, what did you give them? I actually read on here a while ago that you can give Benedryl for motion sickness to a toddler. We will be traveling with our almost 2.5 year old. We are going to Bermuda from Baltimore and I hear it can be a little choppy for a while. I guess it will probably be ok because he loves to spin and shake his head and that never seems to bother him, but I want to be prepared!

Thanks!

While my kids never got sick on our Hawaii cruise (but the grownups did!) I think we had Dramamine Jr for our 5 year old (who always gets sick...but strangely didnt)....But believe it or not, green apples work for kids or ginger candy if they will eat it.

Toddlers generally do not suffer from motion sickness, it doesnt start until around age 8 or so according to the medical literature. However, I have heard of some getting queasy from car ridesd etc. You can use Benadryl but Dramamine jr is only for age 6 and up. My DD was 2.5 on our last cruise out in the gulf in the middle of a hurricaine and EVERYONE was sick but her. Check with your child's pediatrician about what you can do but I doubt you will need anything. Good luck!!

Hi All!

Thanks!

Instead of drugs, Benadryl, Dramaminw, etc., our last cruise I purchased Sea Bands (one for hubby and one for myself) at Walmart. I think they were $5.00 USD each.

You place them around your wrist with this ball like thingy to the pressure point on the inside of the wrist.

Neither hubby (who was sea sick 1st cruise) nor I suffered at all!!

I went down to the Dr's office on Deck 1 and had the nurse show me the correct way to wear it.

With the Sea Band you have no drug effects.

Call your ped just to double check. :D Most of the "kid formula" anti-nausea meds are not formulated for a toddler.

I know that if my youngest really needed it, I was ready to give her children's formula benedryl (for her weight, it was 3 quarters of a teaspoon or less) But even that is formulated for 6 year olds and up...so you would need the ok from your ped. :)

Also, some swear by ginger pops.

Toddlers generally do not suffer from motion sickness, it doesnt start until around age 8 or so according to the medical literature. However, I have heard of some getting queasy from car ridesd etc. You can use Benadryl but Dramamine jr is only for age 6 and up. My DD was 2.5 on our last cruise out in the gulf in the middle of a hurricaine and EVERYONE was sick but her. Check with your child's pediatrician about what you can do but I doubt you will need anything. Good luck!!

I called my ped about our upcoming cruise (DD will be 2) and he shared the same information with me. He said it was very unlikely that a toddler would suffer from sea sickness. I was going to pack a sea band for her just to be safe as I think she would be way too young for any medications.

I bought some homeopathic meds from Whole Foods. There were 2 motion sickness types... one that was helped with fresh air and one that was helped by laying down. I asked the person in the supplements dept and she said if we were on a boat to buy the ones that are relieved by fresh air. My 8 year old and I took them for the 1st 2 days on the ship. My 8 year old was really feeling it on the 1st evening. We had to leave the dining room a few times to take him out on deck to get some air. By the middle of the day on our first full day (at sea) he was fine. I was fine by that night.

I bought Bonine and never used it cause I didn't want my son to feel groggy. I brought benedryl for my little guy (4) just in case but he didn't seem to care about the motion at all!

I used ginger for my children. You can get ginger in many different forms including candy which most children won't like the taste of. You may try gingerale but unless it's real ginger it may not work. I also gave him 1/2 a chewable bonine when he was sitiing on the tender and it was very rough. Check with you pedi before giving that. Ckeck the TV show Myth Busters as they did a show on seas sickness remedies which is where I learned about ginger. Good luck:)

Archived