panama canal

halavah

Thinking of taking constellation Cruise from San Diego with stops in Mexico, Cartagena, Columbia, Puntarenas, Costa Rica, and of course Panama. Would like to hear from one who has done this cruise, and any suggestions for same, including sightseeing in each area, and what to look for in gifts. Any help is appreciated.

Thinking of taking constellation Cruise from San Diego with stops in Mexico, Cartagena, Columbia, Puntarenas, Costa Rica, and of course Panama. Would like to hear from one who has done this cruise, and any suggestions for same, including sightseeing in each area, and what to look for in gifts. Any help is appreciated.

You might want to post your question here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89

where you'll find a wealth of information about Panama, the ports, itineraries, all sorts of stuff.

We're planning a cruise through the Panama Canal too..but not until 2011. If I can wait that long. :o

Panama: molas - indian embroidered cloth on cloth paneling depicting wildlife etc. in native design coloration. Small ones (9' x 12') run a few dollars a piece ($2-3 is you buy a few)

Costa Rica: The Ticos are talented craftsman and painters. Glazed ceramic pottery in earth tones and black I've gotten. Jungle wood dishware and such. They intricately paint bird feathers and sell them in little frames (I got a couple of those).

Cartagena: Romance the Stone. Emeralds and especially look for locally crafted filligree goldsmithing (real Colombian artistry in it). This is the one place in the Caribbean where gem and jewelry shopping is justified in its own right IMHO. There's a 'mall' in Boca Grande with reputable jewelers (the ship will likely direct you there). I also bought a wonderful multipanel soft leather brief case there. Great leather goods.

You might also read through some of the roll calls of completed Panama Canal voyages. They helped us with details for our PC transit. Here's the link to our trip in 2007 on Infinity:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=390038

We sailed from San Francisco but the ports of call info will be helpful. When we returned one of our roll call members and now friend, posted a fantastic blog of our trip with photos and video.

If you post questions there, I will answer. I'm sure you will find many other PC roll calls that will have valuable information.

Bonnie

Hello What sailing are you one. My husband and I are on the December 6th sailing and have been looking up the port information on this site. For Costa Rica there is a guide called JJ which seems like a very good choice. He will customize your day for you. At the mexico stops we will hit the beach or do a caterman sailing. Silver is really good in Mexico and they always have hand made crafts that are really nice.

Claudette

Be careful with your statement "of course Panama". I believe all the Connie PC cruises FROM San Diego stop in Panama, but Connie PC cruises TO San Diego merely cruise the Canal with NO stop in Panama.

Thom

Hello What sailing are you one. My husband and I are on the December 6th sailing and have been looking up the port information on this site. For Costa Rica there is a guide called JJ which seems like a very good choice. He will customize your day for you. At the mexico stops we will hit the beach or do a caterman sailing. Silver is really good in Mexico and they always have hand made crafts that are really nice.

Claudette

Haven't booked it yet, but looking at the Dec 6th cruise, Same one that you are on. Would have preferred January but big increase in cost to do that one.

Haven't booked it yet, but looking at the Dec 6th cruise, Same one that you are on. Would have preferred January but big increase in cost to do that one.

It would be great if you could join us. icon10.gif The more the merrier. We loved the itinerary and are in a CS suite hoping to be upgraded to a RS suite. icon14.gifWe got an amazing deal with the resident rates they offered and I had a coupon for being a select member so there was an even bigger discount. We had the CS suite on our Summit TA sailing and it is awesome with the big window to see everything outside without the heat or cold to bother you.

Claudette

Archived