Immunizations for Carribean?

bianks

I'm doing the Miami - NYC NCL Jewel Cruise in April, which travels to Cozumel, Belize City, Roatan, Aruba, Tortola and Curacao.

Does anyone know what immunizations are advised or where I could find this out?

On another note, if anyone has done this cruise leg before, I'd love to chat so sing out!

I'm doing the Miami - NYC NCL Jewel Cruise in April, which travels to Cozumel, Belize City, Roatan, Aruba, Tortola and Curacao.

Does anyone know what immunizations are advised or where I could find this out?

I would imagine they advise the same immunizations as here in the US. I can't imagine any disease you could pick in those places that you couldn't get here at home, so just make sure you're current on all the ones the CDC recommends for here.

I think for some places, immunizations are recommended for extended stays. No immunization is necessary for a couple hours at each port.

Your best immunization is to try to stay healthy prior to boarding. Take your vitamins, eat well, get enough sleep and exercise...boost your immune system the healthy way. :)

As a side note: if you are a blood donor, visiting some of these ports may prohibit you from donating any blood for at least one year.

By then swine flu vac. should be available.

BG

You don't want the swine flu vaccine. Do yourself a favor and read up on it. It's experimental and is full of additives which have not been tested.

Remember what happened in 1976.

You don't want the swine flu vaccine. Do yourself a favor and read up on it. It's experimental and is full of additives which have not been tested.

i will follow my doctor's advice who told me to get it because of many reasons--this needs to be determined by your individual condition based on a professionals advice.

BG

Funny, I was really considering the Jewel in March of 2010. Roatan, is listed on the CDC as a risk of Malaria and suggest anti-malaria medication. The other ports suggest using bug spray to avoid dengue. Also, you are not allowed to donate blood for 1 year after visiting Roatan. Reading up on it makes me leary of visiting and bring my children with me.

Hi there, I had a doctor appt last week and we discussed this very thing. He DID recommend to have a current tetanus shot, watch drinking the water (including ice cubes!), and I always get a flu shot. (I WILL check about the swine flu one though before I get it (thanks for the heads-up surfgirl!) Have a great cruise!

I thought testing was going on now. It hasn't been released yet.

i will follow my doctor's advice who told me to get it because of many reasons--this needs to be determined by your individual condition based on a professionals advice.

BG

Don't confuse the issue by giving good advice and using common sense.

Don't confuse the issue by giving good advise and using common sense.

Are you saying my doctor nor I have common sense??? To get the vaccination will be an individual call. Just like getting

a malaria pill is an individual call--how does common sense play into my docotor's advise?

My doctor did mean when the testing is complete--which is expected mid--October==I am thinking that the probability of catching swine flu is probably higher than malaria in the western caribbean under current conditions and projected conditions during the coming flu season.(????}

Big Green

Correct.

It is projected to have been released for awhile when the OP cruises in April

Also I read somewhere that Australia is way out ahead of releasing a vaccine,

maybe the Op who is from Australia and can shed some light on that.

BG

Are you saying my doctor nor I have common sense??? To get the vaccination will be an individual call. Just like getting

a malaria pill is an individual call--how does common sense play into my docotor's advise?

My doctor did mean when the testing is complete--which is expected mid--October==I am thinking that the probability of catching swine flu is probably higher than malaria in the western caribbean under current conditions and projected conditions during the coming flu season.(????}

Big Green

NO...I meant just the opposite!

No immunizations are required for these countries. Check with your Doctor for recommendations tho.

Hepatitis A & B would probably be wise to have. And a current tetanus shot.

Travel to Roatan will prevent you from donating blood for 1 year even tho you were only there a few hours. Take mosquito repellant with you, just in case.

BG

Is that the same doctor that prescribed Vioxx for you? :D

I thought testing was going on now. It hasn't been released yet.

This post is not meant to be argumentative. If you want to be a guinea pig, then that is your God given right. I am posting this for those of you who want to take charge of your own body and don't want to risk becoming another victim.

I urge people to research the H1N1 vaccine before agreeing to get one. There have been many cases of FDA approved drugs which have been found out to cause death. The swine flu vaccine of 1976 caused paralysis and death. You need to be proactive about your own health.

The U.S. has already bought the vaccine. It's being fast tracked and has not been tested for safety or effectiveness in humans.

Do you know what is in it?

- squalene. It's linked with Gulf War Syndrome-- and arthritis, seizures, multiple sclerosis, lupis, nuero-psychiatric problems.. and more.

- thimerasol-- which is mercury.

- live virus

-formaldehyde

- adjutants-- (if you don't know what they are and how hazardous they are, please Google)

and much more... see:

http://eldib.wordpress.com/2009/07/25/list-of-components-of-glaxo-h1n1-vaccine/

and

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/08/04/Squalene-The-Swine-Flu-Vaccines-Dirty-Little-Secret-Exposed.aspx

In fact, the vaccine could actually increase your risk of death from the very flu it is supposed to protect you from because it alters (or suppresses) your immune system response.

So, go ahead, roll up your sleeve. So many did that in 1976 and suffered the consequences. Doctors still don't know why people died and were paralyzed from that vaccine.

Ever wonder why they just passed laws to protect big pharma against liabilities or death associated with this new vaccine?

Archived