Cheap breakfast in SF

bam59

We are staying at the Hyatt in Fisherman's Wharf for several days prior to our cruise. Is there anyplace close to the hotel where we can get a cheap but noy greasy breakfast? Thanks

We are staying at the Hyatt in Fisherman's Wharf for several days prior to our cruise. Is there anyplace close to the hotel where we can get a cheap but noy greasy breakfast? Thanks

The Hyatt has a lovely breakfast menu. You can also join their frequent stay program (free, do it right on the internet) and ask if you can be upgraded to club level upon check in - then your breakfast will be free. Upgrades and best rooms go to customers (a benefit of booking directly through hotels, not internet agencies.)

Other option: Buena Vista Cafe! With or without its famous Irish coffees, breakfast is a highlight location is superb. http://www.yelp.com/biz/buena-vista-cafe-san-francisco

Hello,

I agree that the Buena Vista Cafe is an excellent choice. This restaurant is located at North Point and Hyde Streets in San Francisco, which is about a nice 10 minute walk from Fisherman's Wharf. Across the street is where you catch the Hyde Street Cable Car.

The restaurant has a back room which is a little more private and quiet. But if you have breakfast in the main room, do not be surprised to share a table which is part of the fun of this famous place.

And for lunch or dinner don't forget that there is an Inn and Out Burger close to Fisherman's Wharf and your hotel.

I read about a place right across the street called Hollywood Cafe that received good reviews. Only drawback is that it is cash only.

Curious about eating at the Hyatt restaurant since it read more like a sports bar restaurant with all the tv's....kinda like it peace and quiet with the small of coffee in the air first thing in the morning...not necessarily tv with my breakfast. Has anyone eaten in the restaurant in the morning? Also heard it was a buffet...

If you are in SF for several days, then on at least one head up to the Union Square area (on the cable care, of course!) and go to Sears for breakfast. No, it is not part of the store chain, but a San Francisco breakfast tradition. The pancakes are superb and the fresh fruit cup is pure California at its best!

Fishermans Wharf is one area in SF that abounds with Pickpockets. So please be alert. I have been reading too much about Barcelona Pickpockets -- they are mult-generational professionals in Barcelona. We are headed there on a Med Cruise.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm really looking forward to my visit to San Francisco I'll be that blonde girl walking around with the deer in the headlite look. :)

Fishermans Wharf is one area in SF that abounds with Pickpockets. So please be alert. I have been reading too much about Barcelona Pickpockets -- they are mult-generational professionals in Barcelona. We are headed there on a Med Cruise.

Thank you for your advise. As with everytime we travel, we use extra procautions with all of our personal items, on or off us.

Bam59,

Remember that the Fisherman's Wharf area of San Francisco is touristy but not overly so. In order to see a bit of San Francisco's night life or places to walk around after dark without worrying about your safety, have a taxi take you to the corner of Chestnut and Fillmore. From here you can walk down Chestnut Street which has some great restaurants, movie theaters, bars with music. Then walk up to Union Street where there is more of the same especially an interesting San Francisco place called Perry's.

The taxi should not be more than $15 each way from and to your hotel as you are not going very far.

Another idea is to walk from your hotel along Columbus to the North Beach area (this used to be heavily Italian..."Norta Becha") where there are some excellent Italian restaurants, and the Church of Saint Peter and Paul on Washington Square. This is where Joe Dimaggio and Marilyn Monroe got married.

Remember that the Fisherman's Wharf area of San Francisco is touristy but not overly so.

Really??! I always think of the Wharf as the MOST touristy part of San Francisco...the area that is pretty much 100% geared towards tourists! Sleazy electronics shops and cheap t-shirts...it's like Times Square on the Bay! Add to that Ghirardelli Square, the "Earthquake" gift shop, RainForest Cafe, Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum, the Wax Museum....I think it's the LEAST San-Francisco-like area in all of San Francisco!

Having said that, it's a good base location for a couple day stay...as long as one is sure to venture OUT of that area and, as Fredr mentioned, head up Colombus...or take the F streetcar around to the Ferry Building for a walk around the local/organic marketplace...mmmmmm wish I was there now! http://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/merchant_list.php

Have to agree with the Safeway recommendation for breakfast...if the OP wants cheap and not greasy, I think a walk to Safeway is the way to go!

Phoenix,

I did say that Fisherman's Wharf is touristy. It is my opinion that it is not so touristy as to completely ruin a visit.

Belle,

You need to consult a map of San Francisco because I do not know where your ship will dock. The Church is on the north side of Washington Square. It is not very far, as these are short blocks but the best way is to walk on Columbus Avenue. Ask any well dressed San Francisan and they will direct you.

I have not used a taxi in San Francisco for a very long time so i do not know the answer to this question.

Phoenix,

I did say that Fisherman's Wharf is touristy. It is my opinion that it is not so touristy as to completely ruin a visit.

Belle,

You need to consult a map of San Francisco because I do not know where your ship will dock. The Church is on the north side of Washington Square. It is not very far, as these are short blocks but the best way is to walk on Columbus Avenue. Ask any well dressed San Francisan and they will direct you.

I have not used a taxi in San Francisco for a very long time so i do not know the answer to this question.

you could go to Chinatown..there s alot of cafes that serve

a variety of foods for cheap..

as well as carry outs..there s these bun s stuffed with chicken

or BBQ pork..

I LOVE Chinatown. Yummy diim sum. However, on a cruise day I would suggest either the Ferry Bulding or Union Square. I bet you could make a breakfast out of little snacks at the Ferry Building, (They have local merchants.) and they have Blue Bottle coffee whch is supposed to be great. As someone said you are having lunch on ship, so don't need much. The Beuna Vista is great, but not sure if it meets the "cheap" requirement. However, I don't thiink it is outrageous, and the location is cool, and is so quittesentially San Francisco scenery wise.

Archived