Interpreter

kcluvsdavid

Hi Slyster and Etoile

Etoile, you are right, we use BSL. When we went to Florida for 2 weeks and we went on 3 days Disney Cruise and they did email me about 4 weeks before we went on holiday. They were offered us an interpreter but they did asked us which prefer bsl or asl. I told them didn't matter.

But we had a fantastic two interpreter but they were asl which I cannot follow it, lucky they did lipread for me. My husband can use asl sign.

Now, I got email that Dreams Unlimited cannot guarantee for an interpreter for med. disney cruise. They asked me if I write again within 90 days to find out about an interpreter. I am really surprised as Barcelona in Span might have plenty an interpreter with BSL? Just wonder.

Sylster - can you find out what Disney Law? Wjat worry me that if no interpreter for med. cruise, how we know about fire drill etc. as it is for 10 days.

DCL email me and said that an interpreter are not allowed outside/apart from ship, only inside i understand that but in Europe as 3 of us are deaf and excursion maybe difficult for us? We were looking at private hire care but turn out very expensive?

Disney Cruise excursion will be announcement by next month. I have to be patience and see what their organise.

When I booked Disney Wonder Cruise last April and they offer us an interpreter and minicom etc which I didn't know that they have it. Now I ask for med. cruise and they don't know if it will have an interpreter - look like another way round!!

Scottishwee35

I

Sure, I will check for you. It may take a little time to find out who handles their reasonable accomodations. Is Dreams Unlimited the name of the travel agency? I plan on calling Disney cruises.

I will ask about BSL interpreters, fire drills, and equipment for the room. I will call on Monday and find out whatever I can. I am assuming it would be a long distance call for you which could be very expensive. That's why I don't mind calling for you...smile. You will hear back from me by the middle of next week okay?

By the way, my name is Sarah...smile. I will be back in touch. Etoile, thanks for the info too!

I can answer that question actually! ALL cruise lines provide "accommodation kits" for deaf passengers. These include things like door knocker, flashing light for alarm and fire alarm, etc. So if you are in your room, you will see the light for the fire alarm. If you are not in your room, you will probably notice everybody running around and that will tell you something is wrong!

There is a muster drill usually on your first day, when you practice getting to the lifeboats. I would suggest you tell the staff (like at the front desk) that you are deaf and ask what time the muster drill is. Ask if somebody can come and let you know when it starts. They are used to this because many older passengers are hard of hearing and your room steward will come and make sure you get out of the room for the practice event.

When I booked Disney Wonder Cruise last April and they offer us an interpreter and minicom etc which I didn't know that they have it. Now I ask for med. cruise and they don't know if it will have an interpreter - look like another way round!!

I know the answer to this. Was your last Disney Wonder cruise from the U.S.? If a ship stops in the U.S., they must provide services for you according to U.S. law. But if the ship doesn't stop in the U.S., like a Mediterranean cruise wouldn't stop in the U.S., then they are not required to do anything if they don't want to! They will provide easy things like minicom (called TTY in the U.S.) but interpreters are harder to provide so they might not do it.

And for paying yourself for your interpreter...yes, it would be very expensive! If Disney says "no we can't do it off the ship" I would ask again. Maybe ask for the manager or someone higher up. And here is a catch: ask them "well what should I do?" Maybe that will make them realize they should provide it for you!

Nice to meet you too Sarah, I have lots of good information, I have interpreted on a cruise before...it's lots of fun!

Sure, I will check for you. It may take a little time to find out who handles their reasonable accomodations. Is Dreams Unlimited the name of the travel agency? I plan on calling Disney cruises.

I will ask about BSL interpreters, fire drills, and equipment for the room. I will call on Monday and find out whatever I can. I am assuming it would be a long distance call for you which could be very expensive. That's why I don't mind calling for you...smile. You will hear back from me by the middle of next week okay?

By the way, my name is Sarah...smile. I will be back in touch. Etoile, thanks for the info too!

Hi Sarah

Yes, I booked with dreams unlimited as they did very good at first one then I booked again with them.

Oh no, if you phone, it will cost you expensive, why not email? save your money. As I am not very good english to email back to dcl that why I need someone help me to get strong point.

Deborah - Scottishwee35

I know the answer to this. Was your last Disney Wonder cruise from the U.S.? If a ship stops in the U.S., they must provide services for you according to U.S. law. But if the ship doesn't stop in the U.S., like a Mediterranean cruise wouldn't stop in the U.S., then they are not required to do anything if they don't want to! They will provide easy things like minicom (called TTY in the U.S.) but interpreters are harder to provide so they might not do it.

And for paying yourself for your interpreter...yes, it would be very expensive! If Disney says "no we can't do it off the ship" I would ask again. Maybe ask for the manager or someone higher up. And here is a catch: ask them "well what should I do?" Maybe that will make them realize they should provide it for you!

Nice to meet you too Sarah, I have lots of good information, I have interpreted on a cruise before...it's lots of fun!

Could be, yes we went to Florida for Disney Wonder cruise as it was their country US.

Because the Disney Magic Cruise is coming to Barcelona for three months and I think it might be difficult for them to get an interpreter from USA. Mabye that why as it would be problem. I don't know if we are only deaf to booking at med. crusie?

Yes, interpreter is expensive but I wonder if we pay their excursion, if one of interpreter come with us to tour? Just wonder.

Yes, it was fun as I think interpreter love work on Cruise? do they? As last April, two interpreter was fantastic and it was lovely to meet them.

Deborah - Scottishwee35

• 3 months later...

hi etoile and slyster

let you know that my family are very happy last night:D

As I got email from Dreams Unlimited to tell us that Disney Cruise Line contact us today to advise that a sign language interpreter will be onboard the ship when you sail on July 18, 2007.

As they were asking if ASL is okay, if not, contact back. We said noooooo we are happy to have ASL as they were fantastic last year with shows/theatre, total different from our country.

As we have not write a letter to ask for an interpreter, just out of blue, got email.

Thump up DCL

Scottishwee35:)

• 2 years later...

Hi

I was reading through and realised that it was two years ago....:p

We had fantastic two interpreters on Disney Cruise and they did came back with us last year at Panama Canal Disney Cruise...

However, if we need trip and if we need interpreter, we had to pay for them... but during out it was worthing...

Now we have booking the Baltic for next year but we are struggle with money as it is credit crunch and the exchange rate go downhill which we have to pay out another 2,000 pounds... sound not good news for us...

We have not cancel it yet... (well I hope not) as it was awesome...

my english friend send me email about Royal Carbbiean which we never been..

It is about batlic cruise as it is pounds rate and lots cheaper than Disney but it is my heart that I love Disney too much...

My husband thought why not try Jewel on the Seas and I worry about the kids.... they will be 10 and 13...

I am looking for feedback for this cruise ....

thanks for help

Scottishwee35

Hello....I have never cruised the baltic, but if you want to save money on interpreters, you can request it from Royal Caribbean. Here's the link to the Royal Carribean page that talks about requesting reasonable accomodations:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/hearingImpairment.do

Archived