Debit Cards

Sophiesmom2

Can someone tell me when they pre-auth or "hold" your account if you use a debit card? Is it at the beginning of the cruise for an "estimated" bill for the cruise or is it daily for what you have actually spent & charged to your S&S?

Thanks for your help!

I believe multiple times thru the trip.

Once when you check in and they approve the minimum

Then throught the cruise as your balance reaches the pre-approved limt

Then of course at the end of the cruise when your final bill is tallied.

So,,end of the day, your actual charges may only be $500, the holds could tie up another $500 to $1000 depending completely on your banking institution.

So,,end of the day, your actual charges may only be $500, the holds could tie up another $500 to $1000 depending completely on your banking institution.

Thanks klfrodo...do you know what the minimum amount is? I'm just trying to budget. :-)

For a 7 day cruise, I think it's like $250 per person.

That right there for 2 people would be a "hold" of $500

Let's say you never come close to that $500 during the cruise.

Now, let's say it's the last night and your total on board charges are $300.

DEPENDING on your financial institution the $300 will be deducted from your account BUT it could be up to a week or so before the original $500 hold is removed. So you could be sitting at home after your vacation is over with $500 in your checking account that you have no access to until the hold is removed.

Again, it's completely up to your financial institution and how they work.

A way around this would be to put a low limit credit card on your account just to open it.

Then on the last night, give them your debit card to pay off the bill. No charges would go against the credit card and no "holds" placed against your bank account.

Can I add additional credit cards to my Sail & Sign account?

Guest Services throughout your cruise will be able to assist you with any changes required to your account, including references, additional credit cards or cash deposits and setting spending limits.

How is my credit card charged?

During embarkation, when your credit card is swiped, an initial approval of $50 is obtained. Throughout the voyage incremental holds will be obtained. This will reduce the amount of available credit on the credit card or restrict the availability of cash in the checking /debit account. Authorization hold releases to your account is entirely up to your issuing bank.

All charges will be automatically billed at the end of the voyage. On the final morning of the cruise, a statement detailing all purchases made with your Sail & Sign card will be delivered to your stateroom. If you put down a cash deposit and there is an overpayment at the end of the cruise, you will receive the overpayment in the form of a check, attached to the detailed statement on the final morning of the cruise.

Cash Deposit:

U.S. Currency and Traveler's Checks are accepted as a form of deposit to open a Sail & Sign Account at the start of the cruise. As the guest approaches the deposit limit, the Information Desk will notify the guest that additional money must be deposited. "Recommended" deposits per duration of the voyage are as follows:

2-4 day cruises: $100 deposit pp

5-8 day cruises: $200 deposit pp

9+ day cruises: $350 deposit pp

^ thx for the excellent info. I can now manage my debit card better, good thing for me is that my financial institution releases holds after three business days. Some banks hold them for up to thirty days.

Do they? I have used my debit card for sail & sign before and as a sort of insurance policy, prior to the cruise, I purposely transferred all of my money except $300 to my savings because my debit card number (not the actual card) had once been stolen (NOT BY CRUISE PERSONNEL) and the person spent $1100 from my account before the bank caught it. I got the money back eventually, but it was a nightmare. I was too scared to leave all my money in my account at that time. I have since gotten a credit card and use that for sail and sign now.

Debit cards do not work the same way as Credit Cards. Credit cards use an authorization hold until the transaction is completed, such as on Cruise, hotel stays, car rental, or anything that doesn't have a defined start and end. At the start the transaction the credit card it authorized for some specific amount. That amount is held until, but not charged until the transaction is complete. This is called a "Booking". At the end of the transaction (or trip) the card is then re-booked with the ending amount and the transaction is closed making the charge final. This is why you only see one transaction on you monthly statement.

Debit cards cannot do this. When the transaction happens the money immediately comes out of your account. For this purpose they will treat it just like cash. At the end of the cruise they can credit the money back to your account put you will see two transactions on your statement, the initial debit and the credit back. Hope this helps.

Archived