How bad is a cabin below the galley ?

funinthe sun

I just booked our family of 5 on the Dream for Nov 09. Our cabins are on deck 2 , 1 interior,1 cove balcony across from one another. Many of (almost all )of these well-talked about "cove" cabins appear to be just below the galley. I have just been reading how awful any cabins under the galley are,, very noisy all through the night. Did I make a big mistaake ? I realize this is a brand new ship and not much can be said, but has anyone recently traveled on a newer (more sound proofed) ship out there that can advise me . We're not light sleepers but the negative comments regarding these staterooms being so loud has me a bit worried. Thanks for any help you can offer.

We were on the Conquest in October 2006. My MIL paid for the cruise which was VERY sweet. However, we were practically in the engine room. I could have sworn there was a bowling alley above us. It was a rough week indeed, but we managed to enjoy it with little sleep. MIL paid for the first 3 cruises, now we are paying for them and have a balcony on the Legend in October!

I'm thinking that would be tough. Heck we got a cabin once near the elevator. OMG that dinging all night long about drove me crazy.

Yep. We had a cabin very close to the elevators on the Victory. Not only did we hear the dinging all night, but also people talking all hours as they got on and off the elevator. We will never had a cabin by the elevators ever again.

Thanks for all the input so far

I'm hoping that with all the trouble Carnival went to to design these "COVE" balcony staterooms they will have taken the noise factor from the galley into account . Still not sure what to do.

I welcolm any other opinions

I can't help but think that with each new ship CCL tries to work out more and more kinks. We have never experienced the elevator noise issue on Legend nor on an RCCL cruise. (Not sure if that is our family's ability to sleep through anything or the ship's construction.)

Worse case scenario, take the lighter than air earplugs you can get at Walmart for $3 and have an extra bedtime adult beverage...IMHO, a noisy cruise on a new ship beats an excellent day at the office :p

Carry a small fan for white noise, or you can request one from the pursers desk if you find that you need it.

WE have never been under the galley as far as I know but have been right next tothe elevators , however we could hear the ding but never effected us sleeping. I guess it really depend on how lightly you sleep.

We got put there on a GTY on our first cruise and I was really nervous about it. BUT we didn't hear a peep all week. So we booked the same location our 2nd cruise, and again, didn't hear one sound all week. We love it there now and have the location booked again for our upcoming cruise.

OMG I've been in a cabin that sounded like we were under a bowling alley also... But the worst part, the crew only bowled at 5:30 every morning, that is the only time we heard it, but we heard it every morning. DH & I considered it our wake up call, so we hit the balcony to watch the sun rise. :D There was no going back to sleep after the bowling stopped.

Another thing you could do to minimize the sound is keep your balcony door open a bit -- with the balcony so close to the water, I'm sure the sound of the ship cutting through the waves would mask a lot of the noise from above. If you do want to have your door open, bring a bungee cord or two to tie it in the position you want.

Our "usual" spot on a ship is on the deck below the galley and Main Dining Room and we have never had any noise issues with it.

Great, thanks LHP...I feel better now...we booked on the main deck under the galley on the Triumph for January. My niece is getting married on the ship :D

We have been on the main level on the fantansy...but we were never under the galley.

I just booked our family of 5 on the Dream for Nov 09. Our cabins are on deck 2 , 1 interior,1 cove balcony across from one another. Many of (almost all )of these well-talked about "cove" cabins appear to be just below the galley. I have just been reading how awful any cabins under the galley are,, very noisy all through the night. Did I make a big mistaake ? I realize this is a brand new ship and not much can be said, but has anyone recently traveled on a newer (more sound proofed) ship out there that can advise me . We're not light sleepers but the negative comments regarding these staterooms being so loud has me a bit worried. Thanks for any help you can offer.

If you don't mind hearing "yo-ho, yo-ho a pirate's life for me" during the night, you should be golden.

Carry a small fan for white noise, or you can request one from the pursers desk if you find that you need it.

This is an EXCELLENT idea! I travel a lot of work and never know what kind of noise and such I will have in a given hotel room. I d/l a "noise" app for my iPhone and it really has been a god send. I highly recommend if you have a iPhone. There are several apps that have timers so they shut off after a certain amount of time.

The one I got even has "ocean" noises and such...so might be idea on the cruise.

Archived