Mediterranean Cruise in November - Weather and other questions

I am considering going on the Med. cruise in early November out of Barcelona on the Voyager. The cruise is also going to ports in France and Italy. Can someone give me a good idea of what the weather will be including if it's usually rainy around that time of year? I have never been to Europe and would love to go but am concerned about the weather.

I am considering going on the Med. cruise in early November out of Barcelona on the Voyager. The cruise is also going to ports in France and Italy. Can someone give me a good idea of what the weather will be including if it's usually rainy around that time of year? I have never been to Europe and would love to go but am concerned about the weather.

DH and I did a Med. cruise out of Barcelona in November 2007. We had nine days of beautiful weather. The temperatures were in the upper 60-low 70's...kind of sweater/light jacket weather. I don't know if this is typical, but we were offering thanks to the weather gods!

Must sees

Florence absolutely must see.

I think it takes in a South of France port in which case Monte Carlo is a must see.

Would probably go a day early or stay a day after because Barcelona is a wonderful City.

Capri - A fabulous island

Which leaves Rome which is one of the great cities of the world.

An utterly outstanding itinerary.

We went over Thanksgiving week last year on the Voyager of the Seas. We did get some rain and cold on one day in particular (Livorno/Florence) but the rest of the time the weather was very nice. I think that time of year (Fall) is great because there are less crowds (especially at places like Pompeii, the Coliseum and the Vatican). The weather also appealed to me more than the heat of the summer and the cruise fare prices were much lower than summer as well.

Not sure about must sees, but we took all our excursions through the cruise line and we were very happy with them. Do walk around Ville-France (away from the tourist stuff near the tender) because the town itself is very quaint and every time we turned onto a different street it was like looking at a lovely painting.

In Nice we did a tour of the City and then went to Eze (an ancient walled fortress/town). We climbed all the way to the top, beautiful views.

In Livorno we went into Florence and toured the city then went to Pisa and saw the Leaning Tower.

In Rome we did a city tour, including the Coliseum, the Vatican and St. Peters, Trevi Fountain and more.

In Naples we did Pompeii in the morning then went to Sorrento and then down the Amalfi coast to Positano. Just beautiful.

In Palermo, Sicily we toured the City then went up the mountain to the shrine and then took a panoramic tour down the mountain to Modello on the beach and then we went into a very nice , upscale part of the city for shopping.

The all day trips included lunch and wine and an abundance of good conversations with the people on the excursions with us each time.

We could easily take this same itinerary on a cruise again and do completely different excursions in each port (and we probably will!!!)

Enjoy your trip!

Colleen

You will get lots of people saying how they had the best weather ever on cruises in the Med in late Oct/early November but they were probably very lucky. We sailed on the same cruise in the last week of October last year and had 2 great days, 2 OK days and 3 very rainy and miserable days. You really have to gamble on having hit and miss weather at that time of year in the West Med. If you're happy with that go for it, but don't let anyone tell you that you will be guaranteed great weather. Sorry :)

Your description of your Med cruise is exactly why I love Cruise Critic.

I want to go to those cities, see the sights, meet the people. It will

have to wait until 2011, but I am psyched.

Thank you luvscruising2007, You will absolutely love the trip! We cannot wait to go again. And the food...well, unbelievably good! Have a wonderful trip!

Colleen

I'd highly recommend you check out your CC roll call boards and team up with a group who are seeing the sites via private tours vs ship tours. The rates are less expensive when divided among 3 or 4 couples vs single prices on the ship rates. And, you get to pick where you want to go, when you want to go with the group. To me there's nothing worse than being crammed on a bus with 50 other people...waiting, waiting, waiting. You'll be able to see more and do more in a smaller setting - and, for less money.

I'd highly recommend you check out your CC roll call boards and team up with a group who are seeing the sites via private tours vs ship tours. The rates are less expensive when divided among 3 or 4 couples vs single prices on the ship rates. And, you get to pick where you want to go, when you want to go with the group. To me there's nothing worse than being crammed on a bus with 50 other people...waiting, waiting, waiting. You'll be able to see more and do more in a smaller setting - and, for less money.

I have nothing against private tours, if that is what you prefer, great. But please don't give a blanket statement about ships tours. I have been on many Cruise Ship Excursions in Northern Europe and the Med. I have never been "crammed" on a bus. As far as waiting, waiting, not necessarily true.

My experiences have been very positive. Yes it costs more, but it aso includes a tour guide, driver and usually lunch and often wine. But most importantly for me, the people I have met on some of my excursions from my ship have sometimes become friends, and you can't buy that. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Private tours are probably nice and cheaper, but why denigrate the ship tours??

Colleen

nice to found that thread.

we are thinking about to switch the cruises from splendour out of venice to the greek in switching to the voyager out of barcelona.

we are thinking about the weather and which region is better for a little bit relaxing on the pool when coming back from excursions.

If you're talking about late October the Splendour cruise out of Venice takes you further south and should have the better pool weather, although nothing is guaranteed at that time of year. The ports of call on the Splendour cruise are also closer to any sightseeing which would give you a better opportunity to see something in the morning and be back on the ship for some time by the pool in the afternoon.

If you're talking about late October the Splendour cruise out of Venice takes you further south and should have the better pool weather, although nothing is guaranteed at that time of year. The ports of call on the Splendour cruise are also closer to any sightseeing which would give you a better opportunity to see something in the morning and be back on the ship for some time by the pool in the afternoon.

thank you thats a good side to see.

we are faster back on the ship to relax.

lets see what the flight will cost

If you're lucky, you'll have decent weather, but there is just as much chance for miserable weather.

We get to see the daily forecasts for the whole of Europe during the news, and after October 15, I am not going to the South of France/ Italy anymore. I like to have nice weather :)

We went over Thanksgiving week last year on the Voyager of the Seas. We did get some rain and cold on one day in particular (Livorno/Florence) but the rest of the time the weather was very nice. I think that time of year (Fall) is great because there are less crowds (especially at places like Pompeii, the Coliseum and the Vatican). The weather also appealed to me more than the heat of the summer and the cruise fare prices were much lower than summer as well.

We are cruising Thanksgiving week on the Voyager this year. Would you recommend a lightweight waterproof jacket with a hood then? Some have mentioned a sweater but that won't really help with rain. What type of shoes would you recommend? Do you think I would look out of place if I wore jeans?

I'm trying to pack light but make sure my bases are covered as well.

Thanks in advance!

You will get lots of people saying how they had the best weather ever on cruises in the Med in late Oct/early November but they were probably very lucky. We sailed on the same cruise in the last week of October last year and had 2 great days, 2 OK days and 3 very rainy and miserable days. You really have to gamble on having hit and miss weather at that time of year in the West Med. If you're happy with that go for it, but don't let anyone tell you that you will be guaranteed great weather. Sorry :)

Bobal, thanks for your honesty. What time of year do you feel is the best as far as weather not being too hot/rainy and less crowds?

We are cruising Thanksgiving week on the Voyager this year. Would you recommend a lightweight waterproof jacket with a hood then? Some have mentioned a sweater but that won't really help with rain. What type of shoes would you recommend? Do you think I would look out of place if I wore jeans?

I'm trying to pack light but make sure my bases are covered as well.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Rebecca,

Yes, a waterproof jacket and hood would be best. Bring a scarf and gloves for the wind when it gets cold. Jeans are perfect. Comfortable shoes are best for all the walking at the sites. Nice tennis shoes or a pair of flats work best. Remember socks, it is November after all. Pack one of those inexpensive, small umbrellas that fit in your purse or pocket. I used mine at least once. You never know when it might rain.

Packing light is key when going to Europe, casual dress is the norm on excursions. If going to the Vatican/St.Peters or any other Churches, check out the dress codes. Mainly they don't allow a lot of skin showing and I believe shorts are a no no.

Have a great time, you will love it.

By the way, I live in the DFW area as well.

Colleen

Bobal, thanks for your honesty. What time of year do you feel is the best as far as weather not being too hot/rainy and less crowds?

I would say the last few weeks in September. By then the European schools have gone back, the weather has cooled down (but not too much - and not much chance of rain) and the crowds have thinned out. September in the Med is a lovely time, and even into the first couple of weeks in October, just not too late into October :)

Your description of your Med cruise is exactly why I love Cruise Critic.

I want to go to those cities, see the sights, meet the people. It will

have to wait until 2011, but I am psyched.

Me, too! My husband and I cant wait for the itinerary's to come out for 2011 so we can book. This is our dream cruise!

Hi Rebecca,

Yes, a waterproof jacket and hood would be best. Bring a scarf and gloves for the wind when it gets cold. Jeans are perfect. Comfortable shoes are best for all the walking at the sites. Nice tennis shoes or a pair of flats work best. Remember socks, it is November after all. Pack one of those inexpensive, small umbrellas that fit in your purse or pocket. I used mine at least once. You never know when it might rain.

Packing light is key when going to Europe, casual dress is the norm on excursions. If going to the Vatican/St.Peters or any other Churches, check out the dress codes. Mainly they don't allow a lot of skin showing and I believe shorts are a no no.

Have a great time, you will love it.

By the way, I live in the DFW area as well.

Colleen

Thank you so much, Colleen!! Would you say the weather is similar to here in November too then? :)

Thank you so much, Colleen!! Would you say the weather is similar to here in November too then? :)

Yes, Rebecca. You know how some Thanksgivings it can be really nice and sunny and people are out in their flip flops again? And then at other Thanksgivings it can be cold, windy and rainy? Same thing. Be prepared for any kind of weather between 50-70 degrees. (The average temperature in Barcelona in November is 61 degrees). There were times I carried my jacket all day or left it on the excursion bus and never wore it. One day was very rainy and cold, wore jacket, hood, scarf and gloves while outside. Most days were sunny and in the 60's.

About two weeks prior to sailing start watching the weather in your ports on weather.com. This will give you a better idea. Just before you leave, you will get reports for a week out. Our reports a week out showed rain for most ports. We were lucky and had very little rain. Overall the weather was nice.

I wish I was going again this Thanksgiving. We have such great memories of our trip.

Colleen

WE did Splendour from Venice in Nov. '07 and the weather was fine [maybe even great] for a that itinerary. We flew into Frankfurt and did a little touring there before flying on to Venice. It was pretty cool in Germany, but my light jacket with a wool sweater underneath was fine. Had a pair of gloves and that is the only place I used them. Venice was 60ish and the light jacket was fine. Dubrovnik was similar. Kusadasi was 80is and by the end of the day, I was leaving the jacket in the bus. Santorini was cool and windy. The light Jacket would have been great, but motivated by the warmth the day before in Turkey, I left it on board. Take your jacket. Corfu was light jacket weather also.

For sightseeing, the Novemebr weather was fine [and school was in session]. Don't plan on too much beach time, however. But Splendour does have a covered pool.

We did the Voyager Med Cruise the second week of November 2008. We had great weather for 6 of the 7 days. Temps at high were low to mid 70s and lows in the 50s. We were told by our tour guides that we were lucky, because it had rained a lot over the previous 2 weeks.

Also, we had a party of 8, and we did private tours with romeinlimo, which i would recommend if you have a big enough group. With a party of 8, prices were about the same as if we would have done the ships tours. We did the ship tours in Nice & Sicily, and they were nice also.

Be advised, we had six very smooth days of sailing, and then on the sea day from Sicily to Barcelona, the seas were very rough, which caught everyone off guard, due to the six previous smooth days. I would say a good 1/3rd to 1/2 the ship was sick. I was on the Mariner through Hurricane Hanna, and it was rougher that last day on the Med then going through the Hurricane. The crew said that it was pretty normal for November. It was a great trip though and we greatly enjoyed it!

Archived