Upsell to garden villa???

CruisinFromCT

Anybody have any idea why she would not be able to pull up my reservation and I had to be directed to my PCC?

Because you were calling the main NCL number. If you google for it, you can find the NCL upsell number, or reaccommodation desk. If you realize that it's a 1-800 number, that might help in your search.

If they take your incoming call, bonus. If not, there's always hope they'll call you.

I started my conversation with " I'm not sure if I'm supposed to call you, but..."

Rachel

Then you are the lucky one. No one else has reported any success in getting an upsell by calling in. Upgrades yes' date=' but not upsells!!

PE[/quote']

We had our T/A call in a few weeks in advance for the 'upgrade'. We decided to take fate into our own hands and pay the difference (about $5,000 additional + already paid for AB Suite and Mini-suite, all said just over $13K for the MR).

Just go for the once in a lifetime experience! You won't regret it. Personally, I feel the GV should be exempt from upsells. There is not another room like it on ANY cruise ship and should maintain it's exclusivity.

Anybody have any idea why she would not be able to pull up my reservation and I had to be directed to my PCC?

Because you were calling the main NCL number. If you google for it, you can find the NCL upsell number, or reaccommodation desk. If you realize that it's a 1-800 number, that might help in your search.

If they take your incoming call, bonus. If not, there's always hope they'll call you.

I started my conversation with " I'm not sure if I'm supposed to call you, but..."

Rachel

(Hi Rachel!)

I tried SeattleMothers advise for our cruise (the same one she was on) and googled the 1-800 number.

It was easy to talk to the "Reassignment" desk and the ladies there were very helpful. They told me the cost of an upsell, but it was a bit too steep for me at the time.

When the cabin I wanted came available a few weeks before sailing, I called the main NCL number and told them I would upsell if I could keep my $400.00 OBC. They put me on hold for a few minutes and when they came back on the line I was told, "no problem" and I went from an AF to an AE for $200.00 more total.

From a mini suite to a full suite and now I can't go back!! We are booked on a Western Med in November in an AC and a few weeks out I'll call the reassignment desk to check on an upsell too!

Rachel

Hi SM or Rachel :)

I see that you are going on the overnighter in Sept. on the Star. We are going to be on board with you and see that you have been on the Star before so any tips on what we shouldn't miss while we're on? Should we set up a meet and greet? lol...jk We also live in Seattle.

We will be in an aft balcony this time since only a short time on board wanted to see if we would like to book a balcony in the future. Although my sign on indicates we only cruise in suites... have only been on one cruise (Pearl) before this one.;)

Could you email me as I have a couple of questions for you? My email is brighton_gurl@live.com I am booked also for another trip on the Pearl in Jan this time to eastern Carribean.

Thank you. :)

We have cruised in the GV for more than 50% off the rack rate when we were called by the Fairy. We were originally in an A4 and my DH upgraded us by negotiating when they called. I tried to do it on a subsequent cruise and it didn't work. Guess he is a better sails man:D

But. it was a great experience and if you can ever do it is worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is some info from another CruiseCritter

I can not guarantee this information is 100% accurate.

When it gets closer to sailing (MUCH closer) ... some pax can get a call from NCL (some

call it the Upsell Fairy). NCL will offer them an Upsell to a higher category stateroom for

a pretty good reduced price.

Some things to remember ...

1) You can NOT request a call from the Upsell Desk. There is seemingly no game plan ..

it's just the luck of the draw. I've seen new NCL cruisers offered these Upsells and many

veteran NCL cruisers have not heard from the Upsell Desk.

2) These Upsell offers can occur as close to sailing as the day before you leave home.

3) You will be given no time to decide to accept the Upsell. It is a "decision on the

spot". I always have a figure in the back of my mind as to what I would accecpt as far as

an Upsell.

4) This is NOT the same thing as an Upgrade. An Upsell is just that .. you will pay a

little more money. Upgrades are pretty much unheard of (except in rare circumstances). An

Upgrade is usually considered as "free".

5) You can always request an Upsell from NCL ... but that is NOT the same as a phone call

generated by NCL. Your request will be based on the pervading prices on that day thru NCL.

6) A call from the UpSell Fairy can be an EXCELLENT deal ... especially if it takes you

from an AF or below to an AE or above. Most folks get offered a Penthouse Suite or above

for great pricing.

7) There is no difference on whether you booked directly thru NCL or thru an agent.

I'm an agent ... I was called for two couples last year ... one of which was my DH and me.

The offer was from two AEs to two ABs for both couples. I was called as the TA ... the

UpSell Fairy had not yet realized that I was one of the passengers. BTW: I accepted the

Upsell offer for both staterooms .. it was an incredible deal.

8) What NCL is trying to do is fill the higher category staterooms. It's kinda like

dominoes ... they fill the upper staterooms and then offer Upsells to lower staterooms to

move them up a little higher.

9) NEVER book a lower category in hopes of getting a call from UpSell Fairy. They are

sporatic at best. Always be happy with what you booked when you booked. (but you can still

keep you fingers crossed, if you want to

Here is some info from another CruiseCritter

I can not guarantee this information is 100% accurate.

When it gets closer to sailing (MUCH closer) ... some pax can get a call from NCL (some

call it the Upsell Fairy). NCL will offer them an Upsell to a higher category stateroom for

a pretty good reduced price.

Some things to remember ...

1) You can NOT request a call from the Upsell Desk. There is seemingly no game plan ..

it's just the luck of the draw. I've seen new NCL cruisers offered these Upsells and many

veteran NCL cruisers have not heard from the Upsell Desk.

2) These Upsell offers can occur as close to sailing as the day before you leave home.

3) You will be given no time to decide to accept the Upsell. It is a "decision on the

spot". I always have a figure in the back of my mind as to what I would accecpt as far as

an Upsell.

4) This is NOT the same thing as an Upgrade. An Upsell is just that .. you will pay a

little more money. Upgrades are pretty much unheard of (except in rare circumstances). An

Upgrade is usually considered as "free".

5) You can always request an Upsell from NCL ... but that is NOT the same as a phone call

generated by NCL. Your request will be based on the pervading prices on that day thru NCL.

6) A call from the UpSell Fairy can be an EXCELLENT deal ... especially if it takes you

from an AF or below to an AE or above. Most folks get offered a Penthouse Suite or above

for great pricing.

7) There is no difference on whether you booked directly thru NCL or thru an agent.

I'm an agent ... I was called for two couples last year ... one of which was my DH and me.

The offer was from two AEs to two ABs for both couples. I was called as the TA ... the

UpSell Fairy had not yet realized that I was one of the passengers. BTW: I accepted the

Upsell offer for both staterooms .. it was an incredible deal.

8) What NCL is trying to do is fill the higher category staterooms. It's kinda like

dominoes ... they fill the upper staterooms and then offer Upsells to lower staterooms to

move them up a little higher.

9) NEVER book a lower category in hopes of getting a call from UpSell Fairy. They are

sporatic at best. Always be happy with what you booked when you booked. (but you can still

keep you fingers crossed, if you want to

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but the two upsells that I called for and negotiated were pretty good deals. The first was from a balcony to a penthouse for $200 each and the second was a balcony to a penthoulse for $150 each. I seriously doubt that had I received a "phone call" that I would have received a much better deal.

Peter

I enjoyed reading your posts tonight. Will be candid about this.. I can afford an AD or AE.... would die and go to heaven to be in an AB. There are no AD and AEs available on the Dawn ~ Oct 25th sailing. I am all paid for in a mini-suite (aka ~ deluxe balcony). Still excited.. have not been on a cruise since the Celebrty Solstice last year; that is one beautiful ship. Very classy. Looking forward to this cruise being casual attire. We are all so fortunate to cruise even if it is a cat. N.:D

Forgot. I am a cruise freak for the aft balcony's on the fan tail. Would love to be in one of those GVs. I have an importannt question... On NCLs website.... there is a button to explore the suites. The screen it popps up is a yellowish-gold... with music playing.... anyone familiar with that? It shows one would assume the GV pool... or is that something that does not exist on the ship or a big secret. It shows a courtyard private pool. Kind of large pool... this is a ship (NCL Dawn)... hmmmm.. well someone please tell me that really exists on the ship? I look at the deck plans and cannot even find it. Does anyone know what I am referring too? Any comments would help. This cruise is a spur of the moment thing for me. Just came up with the idea last weekend.. Think they will sell the ABs out? How does the upgrade fairy approach you? I would love the fairy to upsell me to an AB. Dioes she do it up to the day of embarkation?

Thanks, Tim

My husband and I got an upsell to the GV in January for only $400 as well we couldn't believe it and had it all to ourselves, it was awesome! We were in an Owners Suite and i just happened to call my travel agent when i saw online that the GV had not been booked yet it was about 4 - 6 weeks out and she called NCL and we got it for $400. So it does happen!

Understood. However, not everyone has been successful dealing directly with NCL when it comes to upsells. There are been many conflicting posts here on CC about whether NCL will even deal with you when you're calling about upsells. Apparently, at one point so many people were calling that they were overwhelmed and decided to stop taking calls. The policy became "Don't call us; we'll call you". However, it seems that you (and a few others) have been able to deal directly with them, which is great. I'm just not sure whether that's dependable, meaning NCL's policy seems to shift unpredictably at times.

They have a special number for "re accommodation" that is even how they answer the phone.

I think the common misconception is that you can dial directly into the "upsell" desk and begin negotiating... This is not the best approach.

I have found much better results calling my PCC, telling her what I want regarding an upsell, and having HER initiate the communication with the upsell folks while I wait on hold.

More often than not she will come back with an offer from them, and if it is attractive enough, we will bite, and otherwise , we pass.

In any event, we utilize our PCC's connections internally to get us access to the upsell department.

That is not simply not true. I called when I was still 6 weeks out and got an upsell from an AB to an AD. It is more expensive the further out you call but you can do it, you just need the number.

You went from an AB to an AD???? Wouldn't that be going down a few categories???? Usually ABs are higher than ADs.

This will be my first cruise with NCL and I'm so tempted to call to see if I can get an upsell/upgrade... I see everyone talking about moving from AB's to AD's and I wondering if I should even bother calling. I'm in an inside cabin because a window is no fun to me if I can't open it. HOWEVER, I would loveeeeeeeeeeee to surprise my hubby (it's our 4th anniversary) and get a balcony cabin.

Is this too much too ask? Do passengers who book inside ever get upgraded/upsold to balconies? I could afford to pay a little more, but not the $1000+ difference that I would have had to pay if I booked it outright.

Any thoughts?

This will be my first cruise with NCL and I'm so tempted to call to see if I can get an upsell/upgrade... I see everyone talking about moving from AB's to AD's and I wondering if I should even bother calling. I'm in an inside cabin because a window is no fun to me if I can't open it. HOWEVER, I would loveeeeeeeeeeee to surprise my hubby (it's our 4th anniversary) and get a balcony cabin.

Is this too much too ask? Do passengers who book inside ever get upgraded/upsold to balconies? I could afford to pay a little more, but not the $1000+ difference that I would have had to pay if I booked it outright.

Any thoughts?

It doesn't hurt to ask but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Since you're a month away, if they have the cabins, you may get a good deal on an upsell.

Good luck and have a great cruise regardless! :D

It doesn't hurt to ask but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Since you're a month away, if they have the cabins, you may get a good deal on an upsell.

Good luck and have a great cruise regardless! :D

Thank-you :o Trust me, I plan to enjoy my cruise, I don't care if I have to sleep in the kitchen. I need this vacation!

• 5 months later...

Party of 6. 2-1/2 months in advance of sailing, I asked large internet travel co TA to call reaccomodation desk to deal for an upsell. Total price for 6 people, all in, little under $14,000.

Only problem--we had very good service, but not great. Had a feeling service staff was aware that we were paying 25% of rack rate, LOL.;) Example: Had better service on Gem in an AD suite.

Great cruise! Would do it again.

This has been such an interesting thread.

We are sailing in Dec, booked into an AB and AF ( connecting) with parents and 2 small kids, and booked through a TA. Reading from the posts, it seems like we will not be able to call directly to the Upsell desk since we are not booked directly with NCL - Do you agree? Also, does the TA get the call for the upsell? If so, does SHE make the decision OR does the Upsell person give them the chance to contact us before saying yes or no?

Thanks for your answers.

It sounds like many of you are really experienced with calling for an upsell. What excatly do you say when you call? People have mentioned they left a message.......Can you please tell me what you say? Thanks!

"Hi.... I'm book on the ___________ cruise, and I was wondering about the possibility of an upsell?"

This has been such an interesting thread.

We are sailing in Dec, booked into an AB and AF ( connecting) with parents and 2 small kids, and booked through a TA. Reading from the posts, it seems like we will not be able to call directly to the Upsell desk since we are not booked directly with NCL - Do you agree? Also, does the TA get the call for the upsell? If so, does SHE make the decision OR does the Upsell person give them the chance to contact us before saying yes or no?

Thanks for your answers.

Arrangements need to be finalized through the travel agent. But I found the upsell desk was perfectly willing to talk directly to me first. I called them. We discussed availability, agreed on a price, and then we brought the TA into a 3-way call to finalize it. (My TA had essentially sworn that upsells didn't exist, and wanted me to pay the full listed price).

Arrangements need to be finalized through the travel agent. But I found the upsell desk was perfectly willing to talk directly to me first. I called them. We discussed availability, agreed on a price, and then we brought the TA into a 3-way call to finalize it. (My TA had essentially sworn that upsells didn't exist, and wanted me to pay the full listed price).

Thanks for your reply.

Archived