Upsell to garden villa???

CruisinFromCT

Hey CC people!

has anyone ever gotten an upsell to the Garden Villa? If so, how much has been offered?

If it's a big secret, sorry for asking! I've booked an AB penthouse which is beautiful to begin with, but I have the blind hope that the fairy will waive her magic wand my way!:D

Hey CC people!

has anyone ever gotten an upsell to the Garden Villa? If so, how much has been offered?

If it's a big secret, sorry for asking! I've booked an AB penthouse which is beautiful to begin with, but I have the blind hope that the fairy will waive her magic wand my way!:D

Yes it does happen. It happened to us on our February Mexican Riveria cruise on the Star. :eek::D Originally 2 couples were booked. One in a Mini and the other in an Aft BA. We both got upsells to AC's then we went for the GV. We did have a 3rd couple that decided to go once we got the offer of the GV. The total was about 3k per couple, an AMAZING price. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the fairy calls us for our Panama Canal trip on the Star.

PS I like your avatar pic

Yes it does happen. It happened to us on our February Mexican Riveria cruise on the Star. :eek::D Originally 2 couples were booked. One in a Mini and the other in an Aft BA. We both got upsells to AC's then we went for the GV. We did have a 3rd couple that decided to go once we got the offer of the GV. The total was about 3k per couple, an AMAZING price. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the fairy calls us for our Panama Canal trip on the Star.

PS I like your avatar pic

I'm not going to hold my breath, but I would love it! I was upgraded to an AB and I've only sailed ABs since!

LOVE PEYTON, want to see them play again!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

$400???

man, you gave me renewed hope!

Yes, only $400, but it was a repositioning cruise, so the fares were lower all the way around.

If you never sail in less than an AB since the first upsell, wait until you get upsold to a GV... We always used to sail in two inside rooms when we took the kids. I doubt that will fly anymore.

Hey CC people!

Don't hope, just call them. Wait until you're three to four weeks out.

Peter

Not true!! I have called them several times myself, twice successfully. Now, if you booked thru a TA, they certainly will not accept the call.

Peter

Then you are the lucky one. No one else has reported any success in getting an upsell by calling in. Upgrades yes, but not upsells!!

PE

We were upsold to the Garden Villa on the Star last April. We had an AB and the connecting minisuite, and paid only $400 more to upsell to the GV.

I don't want to throw a math question at you but, what was the rack rate for the GV? and how much did you pay for the mini + AB suite?

With our upsell to the GV ,they took what we paid for our 2 AC suites + we added a 3rd couple, we had to add about $300 over what we had already paid. So after all was done we paid about 35% of the rack rate, and would do it again. Like ImADaneFan says we waiting to do it again.

I don't want to throw a math question at you but, what was the rack rate for the GV? and how much did you pay for the mini + AB suite?

With our upsell to the GV ,they took what we paid for our 2 AC suites + we added a 3rd couple, we had to add about $300 over what we had already paid. So after all was done we paid about 35% of the rack rate, and would do it again. Like ImADaneFan says we waiting to do it again.

We are looking at a repo cruise this fall on short notice. Rate is $2900ish for Owner's Suite and $6500ish for the GV. HUGE difference.

I would totally call and ask for an upsell! You have nothing to lose. Like someone suggested -- wait till you are about 3 weeks out. Then go for it. A $400 difference is a HUGE savings compared to the "normal" GV price, which can be as much as $10,000 for a week per person. :eek:

Katherine

I watched a show on cruising and the couple that was staying in the garden villa on the cruise they filmed openly admitted that they negotiated a much lower rate than published. Not sure if they called or were called, but still, it does leave one hope. Does anyone know if they upsell at the ship on departure day like Celebrity? When we cruised Celebrity they posted signs on what suites were still available and had a chart that dictated the price...for instance from a balcony cabin to the penthouse....$x amount. It made getting to the port earlier a good idea. The prices were very reasonable.

We paid a bit less than 40% of what they were being advertised for at that time. The advertised price had come down quite a bit by then from what they were initially asking.

FWIW, I initiated the call to get the upsell.

So since we booked our mini suite thru an online TA....can they call for an "upsell"??? :confused:

Yes, absolutely. In fact, when I made my final payment for my upcoming cruise, I asked my TA specifically about potential upsells. She told me that I should call her 2 to 3 weeks before sailing and she would inquire for me, adding that she (and the travel agency, in general) has had good luck with obtaining upsells for their clients.

Yes, absolutely. In fact, when I made my final payment for my upcoming cruise, I asked my TA specifically about potential upsells. She told me that I should call her 2 to 3 weeks before sailing and she would inquire for me, adding that she (and the travel agency, in general) has had good luck with obtaining upsells for their clients.

The reason I book direct with NCL cruises is that I want to be the one doing the negotiating, not a TA. On both of my successful upsells, I was able to counter-offer and eventually book the upsell at about 60% of their first offer. I don't want to have to trust anyone else but myself to make the call and do the negotiating.

Peter

The reason I book direct with NCL cruises is that I want to be the one doing the negotiating, not a TA. On both of my successful upsells, I was able to counter-offer and eventually book the upsell at about 60% of their first offer. I don't want to have to trust anyone else but myself to make the call and do the negotiating.

Peter

Understood. However, not everyone has been successful dealing directly with NCL when it comes to upsells. There are been many conflicting posts here on CC about whether NCL will even deal with you when you're calling about upsells. Apparently, at one point so many people were calling that they were overwhelmed and decided to stop taking calls. The policy became "Don't call us; we'll call you". However, it seems that you (and a few others) have been able to deal directly with them, which is great. I'm just not sure whether that's dependable, meaning NCL's policy seems to shift unpredictably at times.

We paid a bit less than 40% of what they were being advertised for at that time. The advertised price had come down quite a bit by then from what they were initially asking.

FWIW, I initiated the call to get the upsell.

You called? that is great news! I booked (and have always booked) directly with them -- I don't know who to call though!

You called? that is great news! I booked (and have always booked) directly with them -- I don't know who to call though!

Wait until about two to three weeks out and then call the general NCL number. Tell whomever answers the name of the ship you are sailing and the sailing date and then ask to speak to the upsell desk.

Peter

Wait until about two to three weeks out and then call the general NCL number. Tell whomever answers the name of the ship you are sailing and the sailing date and then ask to speak to the upsell desk.

I just tried this. The person answering the phone said she "could not access my reservation". She said she would have to transfer me to my PCC to answer my questions about upsell. I booked directly with NCL. Anybody have any idea why she would not be able to pull up my reservation and I had to be directed to my PCC?

Anybody have any idea why she would not be able to pull up my reservation and I had to be directed to my PCC?

As I understand it, the upsell desk is not supposed to respond to incoming requests. Their function is on the outbound side...they call the passenger or travel agent to offer an upsell, not the other way around.

I watched a show on cruising and the couple that was staying in the garden villa on the cruise they filmed openly admitted that they negotiated a much lower rate than published. Not sure if they called or were called, but still, it does leave one hope. Does anyone know if they upsell at the ship on departure day like Celebrity? When we cruised Celebrity they posted signs on what suites were still available and had a chart that dictated the price...for instance from a balcony cabin to the penthouse....$x amount. It made getting to the port earlier a good idea. The prices were very reasonable.

NCL, as you can see, has a very active upsell program. The upsells are generally all worked out in advance so sailings can be full. Sometimes there are a few insides left after all is said and done but even those are often cleared out in fire sale fashion before sailing.

That said, I was on the Jewel (I think it was) and received an invitation to "tour" one of the GV's. Apparently one of them was unoccupied and when I went up there, there were quite a few people (mainly suites - I may have been invited because of latitudes level?) touring the villa. I have no idea how much they were asking but they were open to offers. Also don't know if anyone "bit".

Another time, one of the suites was vacant and they offered that at bingo. As I recall it was not for the full 7 nights, but still a nice enticement to the pot.;)

Maybe someone else will pipe in who has actually paid for an upsell at the pier - never read about here yet.

Archived