Help!! Gem or Jewel-Leave a Day Apart from NYC

bdklein

I am looking to book either the Gem or Jewel in out of NYC in April 2011, during Easter break. It will be two connecting Oceanview rooms (no balcony-worried about the kids) rooms for Dad (44), Wife (39), and 2 girls (11 and 8 at time of travel). The cruises leave a day apart. I know the Gem is newer, but newer isn't always better. The prices are about the same. Any recommendations on which is a better choice for the family as a whole? The price is about the same for both. Thanks in advance for any and all information.

I tend to pick a cruise more for the itinerary than for the ship itself. I've not sailed on the Gem, and will not be on the Jewel until November, but it might help others to make suggestions if you indicate the ports for each cruise?

I tend to pick a cruise more for the itinerary than for the ship itself. I've not sailed on the Gem, and will not be on the Jewel until November, but it might help others to make suggestions if you indicate the ports for each cruise?

Thanks, but itinerary is exactly the same. So it boils down to which ship is better, and which ship would have connecting staterooms on the better deck (if that is even true).

Having sailed on both, twice each..... go with Gem.

Jewel is a nice ship...but Gem is nicer, and has great upgrades in the buffet (Action Stations) restaurant including banquette seating which makes the whole buffet experience just a little more civilized.

Having sailed on both, twice each..... go with Gem.

Jewel is a nice ship...but Gem is nicer, and has great upgrades in the buffet (Action Stations) restaurant including banquette seating which makes the whole buffet experience just a little more civilized.

Thanks for the input. Prior to this message I did book the Gem, primarily due to the fact that it is a newer ship and the fact that my wife preferred to go from a Saturday to a Saturday as opposed to a Sunday.

We have done the Gem (loved it) and are booked on the Jewel in October. They are almost the same ship from what I can tell of deck plans and pictures but the Gem is newer and some more upgrades. I would be curious what people (who have sailed both) thought of them. Is there really a difference? Why did you like one better than the other? Did it feel like you were on the same ship?

Thanks!

We have done the Gem (loved it) and are booked on the Jewel in October. They are almost the same ship from what I can tell of deck plans and pictures but the Gem is newer and some more upgrades. I would be curious what people (who have sailed both) thought of them. Is there really a difference? Why did you like one better than the other? Did it feel like you were on the same ship?

Thanks!

I've been on both...the Gem more recently than the Jewel. I'd be more than happy go on either...there are more similarities than differences. If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to make a decision, I guess I'd say the Gem, just because it's newer.

Archived