Dreams in PV

travelgirlie

Can you snorkel at Dreams PV? (we have our own equipment). If not, do you know if the ocean at Marival Resort is good for snorkeling?

Thanks in advance!

Dreams is not a great beach for snorkelling BUT I did see quite a few people snorkelling once they got past the breakers. The water is certainly clear enough, just because of the waves.

Marival and the resorts in Nuevo are not at all snorkelling beaches, the water is not as clear as Dreams PV and I think the waves are larger.

Can you snorkel at Dreams PV? (we have our own equipment). If not, do you know if the ocean at Marival Resort is good for snorkeling?

Thanks in advance!

For what it's worth, here is a quote from the J&S web page.

Q: I'VE ONLY BEEN SNORKELING IN THE CARIBBEAN. IS PUERTO VALLARTA SIMILAR?

A: Well, no. The Caribbean is a very special place with living soft coral reefs and dazzlingly blue water with incredible visibility, made that much brighter by the white sand underneath reflecting the sunlight. Puerto Vallarta has no coral reefs, and the water is greenish instead of blue. The visibility is affected at certain times of the year by runoff and plankton blooms, and the sand is golden rather than white. That said, there is a lot of marine life to see here, and it is different species than the Caribbean. Along with lots of brightly colored tropical fish, you may see manta rays, eagle rays, moray eels, seahorses, puffer fish, starfish, and if you're really lucky maybe even dolphins, seabirds, sea turtles, or whales.

Q: WHICH TOUR OFFERS THE BEST SNORKELING?

A: The Marietas Islands and Los Arcos are probably a little better for fish life, while Colomitos and Majahuitas offer different species, eels, and spotted eagle rays.

The whole page is here:

http://www.puertovallartatours.net/snorkeling.htm

How far of a taxi ride is it from the cruise pier to Dreams PV? I am looking for a relaxing, clean place for my family to sit by the pool and relax. It sounds like Dreams would fit the bill.

It's about a twenty minute ride. It think it fits what you are looking for.

Wow, you guys are moving quickly! I had to back up a whole page to see my post and make sure I was on the right thread. :)

Thanks mpbmark and jimbo. I think that's the info I needed to know. We were considering doing the ship's tour at Mismaloya which is around $85/pp, but if it turns out to be a rainy day it would be a bummer. If it turns out to be a nice day we could do Dreams at the last minute. Usually we book all ship tours and plan everything ahead, but this a more laid back cruise since I know we're going during an iffy weather time. We're big divers and snorklers and since the Mex Riv is not the Caribbean (as pps have stated) we're only snorkeling in Cabo, so the rest is weather dependent.

Teri

Next Cruise: #23, Carnival Splendor, Mexico, Sept 2009

Wow, you guys are moving quickly! I had to back up a whole page to see my post and make sure I was on the right thread. :)

Thanks mpbmark and jimbo. I think that's the info I needed to know. We were considering doing the ship's tour at Mismaloya which is around $85/pp, but if it turns out to be a rainy day it would be a bummer. If it turns out to be a nice day we could do Dreams at the last minute. Usually we book all ship tours and plan everything ahead, but this a more laid back cruise since I know we're going during an iffy weather time. We're big divers and snorklers and since the Mex Riv is not the Caribbean (as pps have stated) we're only snorkeling in Cabo, so the rest is weather dependent.

Teri

Next Cruise: #23, Carnival Splendor, Mexico, Sept 2009

Sounds like you are all set. Have a GREAT cruise.

Jimbo,

Thanks. I just got an email from Dreams and it was the same as pps have stated. No need for reservation, $45 for 6 hours, and 150 pecos for taxi. Now, however, my dh says he may want to go to Mismaloya. Once he found out that was the setting for Night of Iguana, he's really into going there. I don't care...beach 1 vs beach 2 vs work. No brainer!

Jimbo,

Thanks. I just got an email from Dreams and it was the same as pps have stated. No need for reservation, $45 for 6 hours, and 150 pecos for taxi. Now, however, my dh says he may want to go to Mismaloya. Once he found out that was the setting for Night of Iguana, he's really into going there. I don't care...beach 1 vs beach 2 vs work. No brainer!

Totally understand and agree with the beach vs work comment. Don't think you can go wrong there. I am sure it will be more enjoyable having your spouse join you. Think of me when you sitting there enjoying it having a cold one...

Jimbo,

Glad things have been sort of settled. Remember, a bad day at any beach is still better than your best day at work. :)

We are planning on going to Dreams in PV and looking forward to it.

Jimbo,

I could be wrong here but I don't think there is anything left of the setting from the movie. We never made it down to Mismaloya in Feb,I wanted to but the conciegne at Dreams kinda downplayed it...not alot to do or see that would take up an entire day :confused:

IMO--You have great pools, and food on board your ship: If you want to hang at a beach, and enjoy some food and drink, you can do it for a lot less by going to Los Muretos beach, and find a palapa in front of one of the hotels in PV. All beaches in Mexico are public, so go and have fun with the locals for a lot less $$.

IMO--You have great pools, and food on board your ship: If you want to hang at a beach, and enjoy some food and drink, you can do it for a lot less by going to Los Muretos beach, and find a palapa in front of one of the hotels in PV. All beaches in Mexico are public, so go and have fun with the locals for a lot less $$.

Beach at Dreams is private, no public access unless you come over the rocks or swim in, not saying it isn't public just *kinda hard to get to*

I LOVE Los Muretos beach and we have stayed at Playa Los Arcos and are returning there in Oct but the beach at Dreams was much nicer and it was nice to have a just few select vendors.

oh my gosh sitting here reading about Dreams is killing me. I wish that I were there right now. My husband and I will be in there is a little over 3 weeks. :)

Dominique & Andrew

Us too! Our cruise leaves in 4 weeks from today and we'll be there on our PV stop. I am so excited about PV! :p

~Lisa

We are also thinking of going to Dreams for the day next March. How was the food? Was it just a buffet or can you order off of a menu? Any type of Mexican food?

Thanks!

It was buffet, mostly Mexican and pretty good. Waiter service for drinks.

We are also thinking of going to Dreams for the day next March. How was the food? Was it just a buffet or can you order off of a menu? Any type of Mexican food?

Thanks!

There was a restaurant opened for lunch just off the adult pool beside the new tower, I think it was called The Seaside Grill or Oceania....it was open for lunch daily and it was a nice sit down restaurant. I ate seafood there 4 out of 7 lunches :eek:

Warning the below is totally food related might be boring for some.......

The last three days we did discover just how good the buffet was, we didn't eat much of the already prepared foods (we never do at buffets) but we did make the most amazing salads out of the mesclun, beets, corn, red onion, beans, cheeses, carrots, every veg and fruit known to man and then topped it off with fresh seafood or grilled chicken and then went to the ladies who were frying the fresh made tortillas for tacos, topas and other yummy delights, and had her give us a freshly made deep fried corn tortilla and crumbled that over the entire salad for the best croutons ever .

The best gucamole evr had and salsa were our salad dressings....We would take those to the pool and eat them along with a cold beer...OMG K ...I am drooling as I remember those salads.

Jimbo did you try the homemade coconut ice cream?? My husband made a sundae out of that with chocolate sauce.....I stoled it from him:D

There was a restaurant opened for lunch just off the adult pool beside the new tower, I think it was called The Seaside Grill or Oceania....it was open for lunch daily and it was a nice sit down restaurant. I ate seafood there 4 out of 7 lunches :eek:

The last three days we did discover just how good the buffet was, we didn't eat much of the already prepared foods (we never do at buffets) but we did make the most amazing salads out of the mesclun, beets, corn, red onion, beans, cheeses, carrots, every veg and fruit known to man and then topped it off with fresh seafood or grilled chicken and then went to the ladies who were frying the fresh made tortillas for tacos, topas and other yummy delights, and had her give us a freshly made deep fried corn tortilla and crumbled that over the entire salad for the best croutons ever .

The best gucamole evr had and salsa were our salad dressings....We would take those to the pool and eat them along with a cold beer...OMG K ...I am drooling as I remember those salads.

Jimbo did you try the homemade coconut ice cream?? My husband made a sundae out of that with chocolate sauce.....I stoled it from him:D

OK SOLD, you got me now. We were trying to decide between Marival and Dreams for the day for my husband and I and two sons. This sounds perfect! Thank you.

OK SOLD, you got me now. We were trying to decide between Marival and Dreams for the day for my husband and I and two sons. This sounds perfect! Thank you.

We have stayed at Marival twice and Dreams once ..... Dreams wins hands down :)

I could be wrong here but I don't think there is anything left of the setting from the movie.

I think you're right. I've heard that the original set was a restaurant, but it's now closed off to the public. That's ok. The hotel, La Jolla de Mismaloya, was rate #3 on Travel Channel's best Mexican resorts, so it's a bit of an icon itself and it will be cool to be the general area of the movie. I have to admit, I'll be thinking of Dreams because it looks really great, but as I said earlier, either one is better than being at my desk!

YES, totally outstanding. Maybe the richest ice cream I have ever had.

It's a really nice resort. You will not be disappointed.

Isn't this true at most Mexican Riviera ports? I am looking forward to saving $$$ and doing a beach/palapa/food thing on our own while my wife barters with the locals for some goods at areas that have less traffic, maybe off the beaten path closer to town. Just being lazy on a beach without much money sounds great to me.

• 1 month later...

Archived