Invergordon

Trece

We have a dear Scottish friend picking us up at Invergordon pier & taking us out & about for the day when we arrive on September 1. I don't believe she has any familiarity with the port since she's not from the immediate area. Does anyone know how close she will be able to get, or park her vehicle, or some identifiable place for us to meet? Any assistance would be much appreciated! :D

If I remember Invergordon correctly when we docked there, it is just off the A9, which leads up to Tain (if you're interested in touring a distillery).

The dock is quite simple, a single building and it seemed that taxis and coaches were able to drive directly on the dock and were quite close to the ship's gangway.

You'll enjoy your day there - especially if you wish to sample a wee dram!

We were there a few weeks ago and they were repairing the dock so there was only limited access. The dock is an old oil transfer dock with a long narrow dock going out and then a building at the end. The tour buses were permitted out as were taxis but I am not sure of private vehicles. People were not allowed to walk on the dock. The town had a shuttle bus from the ship to a large souvenir shop near town. I would suggest an alternative place to meet if they cannot drive out on the dock. The souvenir shop is near the church and a small park. Actually Invergordon is so small it is hard to get lost.

I have attached a picture of the dock if it attached successfully.

2105466138_gbn041.jpg.4238ebbfcf46a39fcab8ec7015b177d2.jpg

I vote for the long, skinny dock (see pix below) but it will only handle a single cruise ship, so if there were two ships in port, that could explain the alternate docking area. As RetiredFL says, it is a small town, and your ship will be visible to anyone approaching the waterfront, wherever it docks. On the possibility that there will be two ships in port, you may want to describe your ship to your friends.

IMGP0115.jpg.0320e532660c3e2abe235a17e092ee08.jpg

IMGP0123.jpg.45f55105544e9ee27786b6bd68347d47.jpg

I vote for the long, skinny dock (see pix below) but it will only handle a single cruise ship, so if there were two ships in port, that could explain the alternate docking area. As RetiredFL says, it is a small town, and your ship will be visible to anyone approaching the waterfront, wherever it docks. On the possibility that there will be two ships in port, you may want to describe your ship to your friends.

Your photos look like where we docked

The photo from RETIREDFL looked like a very long pier

It is not a big town so should be easy find a cruise ship;)

Lyn

LHT28 is right. I forgot there was a German ship docked also and they were right next to the souvenir area where the free shuttle bus takes you from the long pier.

I am not sure which is the preferred docking location and if we were #1 or number 2.

The town of Invergordon is trying very hard to be tourist friendly so I am sure asking around from the locals will tell which ship is docked where.

If you go to: http://www.invergordon.info/welcome-g.asp there are maps and also a provisional cruise ship schedule that may help.

Archived