Driving in England

kwk1955

Can anyone tell me about the roads in England? Besides driving on the left side of the road, that is ! :D

Are the roads such as M4 or M5 highways? Toll roads? Should we try to stay on those, or off?

What about the ones such as A36 ?

Thanks very much for the info - still working on the itinerary and details for the trip for my son and daughter-in-law. :) :)

Here you find some impressions of my driving in UK:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/08/heathrow-uk-southampton-uk-from.html

I survived... and no scratches on the car... Uff...

But I lost weight... all my blood, sweat and tears should be in the car seat...

Regards,

HeinBloed

Don't know if this has already been mentioned as I haven't read every bit of the thread so sorry if I'm repeating anyone.. One major thing to bear in mind is when refueling, the hoses on the pumps are a different colour to those that people from the US are used to.

Green Hose/Pump = Unleaded

Black Hose/Pump = Diesel

Do not get those mixed up or it will cost you a lot of money with the car hire company.

Don't know if this has already been mentioned as I haven't read every bit of the thread so sorry if I'm repeating anyone.. One major thing to bear in mind is when refueling, the hoses on the pumps are a different colour to those that people from the US are used to.

Black Hose/Pump = Diesel

Do not get those mixed up or it will cost you a lot of money with the car hire company.

Normally it would not fit into your tank...

Different shapes.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Normally it would not fit into your tank...

Different shapes.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Unfortunately, that all too often isn't the case. There are still plenty of people here who fill their tanks with either petrol or diesel when it should be the other way round.

Not all garages have the newer nozzles.. I know as I have to pay for the mistakes our drivers at work still make..!!

Black Hose/Pump = Diesel

...and just to confuse you, sometimes the diesel pumps are yellow!

Simon

Here you find some impressions of my driving in UK:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/08/heathrow-uk-southampton-uk-from.html

I survived... and no scratches on the car... Uff...

But I lost weight... all my blood, sweat and tears should be in the car seat...

Regards,

HeinBloed

On that page HeinBloed, you ask what does the yellow circle mean on the blue motorway sign. These are permanent diversion (umleitung!) signs. If the motorway is closed(gesperrt) due to an accident (unfall) or something, the signs will say 'For Salisbury, follow O', or whatever. If you look on the photo of the electric sign for the QM2, you can see each dock gate has a coloured symbol. If you follow the symbol, you should get to the right gate.

Simon

Archived