Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

We will be staying on Las Olas Blvd. Can we call ahead and order wine from Total Wine and stop to pick it up in a taxi on the way to the pier? Or should my husband take a taxi to Total the day before?

Does your cruise leave on Sunday? I believe you would have to wait until after 12 noon to pick up the wine. You can pre-order and pick it up on the way to the ship.

We are doing a transatlantic from Southhampton to Fort Lauderdale in November 2013. We plan to drive to Florida and stay a few days in Ft. Lauderdale before flying out of Miami to the UK. We are flying out of Miami for several reasons, i.e. direct flight and less air time, cost and timing. We are looking for options to leave the car in Fort Lauderdale(for 25 or 26 days) so it will be there when we disembark and also for getting from Fort Lauderdale (probably from a hotel or wherever we leave the car) to the Miami airport. Any advice on parking options and transport to the Miami airport would be appreciated.

Fairfield Inn and Homewood Suites offer cruise parking for 30 days. Cambria Suites offers 15 days parking and then charges for daily parking after that. Larry's Limos goes to Miami airport and will cost about the same as a taxi. It should cost less than $100.

My family is sailing on Allure the end of this month. We are looking for a day room upon our return on May 5th since our flight doesn't leave FLL until 7:00 p.m. I understand Embassy Suites has day rooms. Has anyone used their day rooms? What was the cost for the day room? Or, I'll take any other recommendations.

Thanks in advance....

Just call the hotel about the sunday brunch. There isn't much within walking distance, but Galleria Mall is about a mile away and there are a few casual restaurants about a half mile away (south on A1A). Shooters and Chart House are less than a mile away if you go north and turn left on 30th St.

Thank you for the information! :)

Thanks so much for the information, I will check out those hotels and the car service. If anyone else has additional suggestions, I would appreciate all input.

Fairfield Inn and Homewood Suites offer cruise parking for 30 days. Cambria Suites offers 15 days parking and then charges for daily parking after that. Larry's Limos goes to Miami airport and will cost about the same as a taxi. It should cost less than $100.

We are sailing on 11/10 on the NCL Star out of Miami. To save some money we are flying into FLL on 11/8. We are looking for a Hotel that offers pick-up at FLL but also has transporation to the Miami pier. Are there any that do this?

What are your thoughts, Embassy Suites or Rennaisance Hotel in FLL?

I'm traveling with my husband and three children, ages 3, 8, and 14 going out on the Allure.

Renaissance is a more formal business hotel. Embassy Suites has a more fun ambiance for the family. Both are near casual restaurants, as there have been a lot of new additions to the area.

We are sailing on 11/10 on the NCL Star out of Miami. To save some money we are flying into FLL on 11/8. We are looking for a Hotel that offers pick-up at FLL but also has transporation to the Miami pier. Are there any that do this?

There are a few that will arrange transportation but you have to pay for it. It might be cheaper to just stay where you want in Fort Lauderdale and hire SAS to get you to Miami. Most of the airport area hotels have free FLL airport shuttles.

I just came back from liberty of the seas. I also stayed at embassy suites for one night. In my opinion, the hotel is a bit dated and needs a good cleaning. Yes, it's a good spot with everything around it but the beds were horrible and the rooms were dark. The open atrium was nice and the shuttle $8 per person was quick and convenient. After the cruise, our flights didn't leave till 6 pm. So we went to book a "day room" at Rhode way inn and suites. It was actually clean, they gave us free buffets and a free shuttle ride to the airport and all for just $49. Also, free wifi and the use of their clean pool. We also tried the Thai restaurant ( Coco) behind embassy suites. It was a hit and miss but very expensive. I hope this info helps. Happy sails!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just came back from liberty of the seas. I also stayed at embassy suites for one night. In my opinion, the hotel is a bit dated and needs a good cleaning. Yes, it's a good spot with everything around it but the beds were horrible and the rooms were dark. The open atrium was nice and the shuttle $8 per person was quick and convenient. After the cruise, our flights didn't leave till 6 pm. So we went to book a "day room" at Rhode way inn and suites. It was actually clean, they gave us free buffets and a free shuttle ride to the airport and all for just $49. Also, free wifi and the use of their clean pool. We also tried the Thai restaurant ( Coco) behind embassy suites. It was a hit and miss but very expensive. I hope this info helps. Happy sails!!

Please let us know about the free buffet at Rodeway Inn, and if you were able to book the day room in advance. If you stay on 17th St again and would like Thai Food, Siam House is in the plaza east of Embassy Suites...it doesn't have the ambiance/nice decor or the great selection of Thai/Japanese tapas of Coco Asian Bistro, but most entrees are under $20 and it's not bad. :)

In July my best friend (28) and I (29) are getting into Fort Lauderdale Saturday morning and cruising on a Sunday. Looking for an inexpensive hotel that is in an active location. Seeing as how we are spending the whole day in Fort Lauderdale we need suggestions on what to do. We are thinking of going to the beach during the day and then something that evening. We are walkers so if we could find a hotel with a lot around it that would be great but we have no problem taking a taxi. So recommendations on where to eat, stay, and what to do would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hey Vacationoholic :) me and my buddy are doing the same thing. We're getting in sat. night and staying at the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina Hotel. It's pricy and not my first choice but me and my friend are splitting the room and b/c there are 4 couples going also and they are staying there. There's the Comfort Inn down the street that has a better rate. Comfort Suites Airport Fort Lauderdale. These places are close to everything if that helps.

PS. I see you're from CT. We're from RI hope your a Patriots fan! lol jk

Please let us know about the free buffet at Rodeway Inn, and if you were able to book the day room in advance. If you stay on 17th St again and would like Thai Food, Siam House is in the plaza east of Embassy Suites...it doesn't have the ambiance/nice decor or the great selection of Thai/Japanese tapas of Coco Asian Bistro, but most entrees are under $20 and it's not bad. :)

I'm gonna clarify. Sorry. It was the free breakfast buffets. And yes u can book a day room in advance. It's only $49 from 10-6 but came at 8 am and they had a room ready. When we came they had people going out to the cruise ports on the free shuttle.

Hi there!!!

We have just booked the Carnival Freedom for Feb 8 - 16th, 2014.

We will be flying on on the 6th (Thursday) as we are coming from Calgary, Alberta.

We have cruised before, but out of Miami.

We will be two couples, and wondering a good place to stay. Is there anything close to the cruise port?

When we cruised from Miami in November, we stayed at the Holiday Inn downtown across from Bayside Market place. What to do in Ft. Lauderdale on the Friday?

We won't be renting a car, so would like things to do within walking distance of the hotel or a short cab ride.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!

I'm gonna clarify. Sorry. It was the free breakfast buffets. And yes u can book a day room in advance. It's only $49 from 10-6 but came at 8 am and they had a room ready. When we came they had people going out to the cruise ports on the free shuttle.

Ctrinh, Thanks for reporting back. It's rare that someone reports having been able to book a day room in advance.

Hi there!!!

We have just booked the Carnival Freedom for Feb 8 - 16th, 2014.

We will be flying on on the 6th (Thursday) as we are coming from Calgary, Alberta.

We have cruised before, but out of Miami.

We will be two couples, and wondering a good place to stay. Is there anything close to the cruise port?

When we cruised from Miami in November, we stayed at the Holiday Inn downtown across from Bayside Market place. What to do in Ft. Lauderdale on the Friday?

We won't be renting a car, so would like things to do within walking distance of the hotel or a short cab ride.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!

I would suggest looking at Riverside Hotel. It's in the middle of the downtown shopping and dining district, and just about 3 miles from the port. If you want to be close to the port in an active area, some hotels are Embassy Suites, Holiday Inn Convention Center, Hyatt Place north, Hilton Marina, and Renaissance. The beach is also active and close to the port. Some of the hotels closest to the action: Ritz Carlton, Westin, W, Hilton, Marriott Beach Place, Courtyard, Bahia Mar, Alhambra Resort.

Ctrinh, Thanks for reporting back. It's rare that someone reports having been able to book a day room in advance.

No. Thank u! U really helped me before my cruise. It's rare when a person give sooooo much advice....ur truly generous and genuine!!

I would suggest looking at Riverside Hotel. It's in the middle of the downtown shopping and dining district, and just about 3 miles from the port. If you want to be close to the port in an active area, some hotels are Embassy Suites, Holiday Inn Convention Center, Hyatt Place north, Hilton Marina, and Renaissance. The beach is also active and close to the port. Some of the hotels closest to the action: Ritz Carlton, Westin, W, Hilton, Marriott Beach Place, Courtyard, Bahia Mar, Alhambra Resort.

THANK YOU!!!

I will check these out!!

Happy Cruising!!

Just booked Crowne Plaza in Fort Lauderdale for cruise in November on Priceline. Got room for $90 and rate on hotel site was $218. Read reviews and seems that is okay and meets the needs of a one nite stay pre-cruise. Anyone have any knowledge or thoughts?

Just booked Crowne Plaza in Fort Lauderdale for cruise in November on Priceline. Got room for $90 and rate on hotel site was $218. Read reviews and seems that is okay and meets the needs of a one nite stay pre-cruise. Anyone have any knowledge or thoughts?

Nice price! The hotel was just built in the last couple of yrs. If you are a good walker and arriving earlier in the day walk left on US1 down to SE 17th St and turn right. This is where there are a few shops and a bunch of restuarants(it's about a mile walk to the busy area). Or if you arrive in the evening and just want a simple dinner, Anthony's Coal-fired Pizza is a block away and has good pizza, salad, and wings (not fried).

What are your thoughts, Embassy Suites or Rennaisance Hotel in FLL?

I'm traveling with my husband and three children, ages 3, 8, and 14 going out on the Allure.

I've stayed at both locations and prefer Embassy Suites. The Rennaissance is located the closest to the port area but only by a couple of minutes. There's a pharmacy across the street but you are crossing major traffic to get there! Having young children for this part would make me nervous (crossing as adults was nerve wracking at times)

We found that everything we wanted to do was up near the Embassy Suites which is a very family friendly hotel. The complimentary happy hour and breakfast make it a huge value over the Renaissance. Not only in value but in overall atmosphere. Anything you might want or need is right in the same plaza like setting at this hotel.

My only regret in choosing Embassy Suites over the Renaissance is that I didn't do it sooner!

Thanks for the advice on heading down to 17th. I guess depending on the weather in November it is a great option for something to do. Will be arriving in the afternoon so am hoping to have some time to walk around

November weather is usually beautiful.

If you want a great beachfront hotel and money is not an issue, this place is really nice. We spent the day today at Boca Beach Club. It is part of the Hilton Waldorf Astoria family, and is the beach hotel at Boca Raton Resort. It's less than an hour north of Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale. It's nicer than anything in Fort Lauderdale and it's just a few years old. We've enjoyed excellent meals at several restaurants at the resort, including lunch at the beach club today.