Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Hey Sharon ...the wife and i are looking at Feb for our cruise and trying to narrow down choices of hotels so im basing them alot on your advice of the area...We are looking at the Doubletree...we are pre-cruise for 2 days and want to be close to the water taxi(heard tons of raves about it and a good day excursion) also want to be close to the "cruise" essentials...wine,water,liquor and beer for the hotel stay...what other recommendations would you suggest and restaurants in that area....Thanks for you input and time

Doubletree Gallery One is in the closest proximity to everything that you need. Marriott Beach Place Towers and Ritz Carlton are also next door to CVS and walking distance to liquor store and very close to water taxi. On 17th St, Renaissance, Holiday Inn Convention Center, Extended Stay, Embassy Suites, Hyatt Place, and Hilton Marina are all walking distance to both the water taxi and stores (a mile or less). Once you have a hotel decision I can recommend restaurants.

Hi. Rhodeway Inn & Suites offer day room from 10-6. It's $49 and they will shuttle u for free to the airport. U also get free wifi, use of all their facilities, and a free breakfast. Just ask for one of the newly renovated room. Stayed end of March and it was clean and worth it for the price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree with ctrnh225. Rodeway is not the nicest hotel but it might be the only one that will confirm a day room and it sounds like your family just needs a place to rest for the day.

Thank you so much! I looked at the Rhodeway but other posts state to look elsewhere. If it were just my husband and I the scenario would be much different. There are too many variables with the inlaws along (diabetes, inclimate weather, cranky-ness)... I am thinking that this may be our best option.

And thanks for the review. I will def ask for a renovated room! :D:D

Thank you so much! I looked at the Rhodeway but other posts state to look elsewhere. If it were just my husband and I the scenario would be much different. There are too many variables with the inlaws along (diabetes, inclimate weather, cranky-ness)... I am thinking that this may be our best option.

And thanks for the review. I will def ask for a renovated room! :D:D

Another option is a place called Tranquilo. Just reopen a few months ago and it's #4 on tripadvisor. VERY VERY CLEAN. They don't do day room but u can ask for morning checkin. The highest price is 125. The reviews and pictures r nice. I stayed 2 weeks ago and it's better than the 4 star hotel cause everything brand new and ur 2 blocks from beach. I really didn't want to say it cause it was my little secret....lol

Another option is a place called Tranquilo. Just reopen a few months ago and it's #4 on tripadvisor. VERY VERY CLEAN. They don't do day room but u can ask for morning checkin. The highest price is 125. The reviews and pictures r nice. I stayed 2 weeks ago and it's better than the 4 star hotel cause everything brand new and ur 2 blocks from beach. I really didn't want to say it cause it was my little secret....lol

I will definately look into them. And I will not tell a soul.... lol

I've never heard of it. Tripadvisor will give you more information.

ACK! That doesn't sound good, since you're the Font of All Wisdom when it comes to Ft. Lauderdale!:D

They say they're between the W and the Ritz Carlton. Trip Advisor says 2 1/2 stars or so, which also concerns me, but it's the #4 B&B in Lauderdale.

I think I might just keep looking. Thanks.

We're still debating on where we're parking for our Allure cruise. We like the idea of the port because we can just get in our car and go. We're at the Embassy suites the night before. We're driving to WDW for a few days after our cruise. We're also looking at Park'ngo as they seem to have the best reputation. We just hate waiting for a shuttle.

Anyway, do you pay for parking before or after the cruise at the pier? We've done both in different ports. Google satellite maps aren't really clear, but from everything I've read it's an easy port to navigate.

[quote name='dread_pirate']ACK! That doesn't sound good, since you're the Font of All Wisdom when it comes to Ft. Lauderdale!:D

They say they're between the W and the Ritz Carlton. Trip Advisor says 2 1/2 stars or so, which also concerns me, but it's the #4 B&B in Lauderdale.

I think I might just keep looking. Thanks.[/quote]
Don't worry...it's in a great location and it looks nice and the price is awesome! There are about 100 small inns between Fort Lauderdale and Lauderdale by the Sea and most are unknown by the locals.

[quote name='BND']We're still debating on where we're parking for our Allure cruise. We like the idea of the port because we can just get in our car and go. We're at the Embassy suites the night before. We're driving to WDW for a few days after our cruise. We're also looking at Park'ngo as they seem to have the best reputation. We just hate waiting for a shuttle.

Anyway, do you pay for parking before or after the cruise at the pier? We've done both in different ports. Google satellite maps aren't really clear, but from everything I've read it's an easy port to navigate.[/quote]
You pay $15 per day as you drive out.

[quote name='Ctrinh225']I just wanna say thank u....Sharon...for ur suggestion about Thai Spice. It was delish and a great atmosphere. Was a littler expensive (my fault for ordering too much. Lol)
But so worth it!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD[/quote]
I'm glad you liked Thai Spice. It's one of our favorite neighborhood restaurants, and one of the longest established Thai restaurants in Fort Lauderdale. It's busy every night of the week. They just added a cocktail lounge too. It can get expensive but of course it depends what you order. One of their famous dishes is the delicious Dreaming Chicken for only $18 and it is enough for 2. Edited by royalcruz

[quote name='lauri62fl']I have a question for anyone. I notice many people fly into Fort Lauderdale instead of Miami for POM departures. Is it cheaper? Safer? And is there a reliable shuttle to POM from FLL airport?[/quote]
Sometimes it is cheaper to FLL, sometimes it is cheaper to MIA. Neither is considered unsafe. A lot of people take SAS shuttles from FLL to POM. You have to reserve online, and they do not pick up in the evenings. There are also shuttles that you can just ask for at the airport. Taxis cost about $80 for the carload.

I am between two hotels for our pre and post cruise stay. We (DH, DD17 and myself) will be staying three nights before and one night after. We will not have a car. I have friend that lives in Pompano Beach that has a car and a very nice very big boat:D She lives in a one bedroom condo so no room for the three of us to stay there. I am looking at pier 66 for $101.00 per night for a garden room AKA not in the tower. The other one is at the Holiday Inn on 17th for $172.00 a night. Pier 66 has some pretty bad reviews but a great price. This will be the weekend before Easter so prices are very high everywhere. I am still searching, but these are the lowest prices I have so far. DH works for the government so I am able to get the government price at some hotels.

[quote name='goldgirl2']I am between two hotels for our pre and post cruise stay. We (DH, DD17 and myself) will be staying three nights before and one night after. We will not have a car. I have friend that lives in Pompano Beach that has a car and a very nice very big boat:D She lives in a one bedroom condo so no room for the three of us to stay there. I am looking at pier 66 for $101.00 per night for a garden room AKA not in the tower. The other one is at the Holiday Inn on 17th for $172.00 a night. Pier 66 has some pretty bad reviews but a great price. This will be the weekend before Easter so prices are very high everywhere. I am still searching, but these are the lowest prices I have so far. DH works for the government so I am able to get the government price at some hotels.[/QUOTE]

If u wanted to stay close to ur friend. There's a brand new Ft. Laud Marriot Pompano Beach Resort and Spa.

[quote name='Ctrinh225']Another option is a place called Tranquilo. Just reopen a few months ago and it's #4 on tripadvisor. VERY VERY CLEAN. They don't do day room but u can ask for morning checkin. The highest price is 125. The reviews and pictures r nice. I stayed 2 weeks ago and it's better than the 4 star hotel cause everything brand new and ur 2 blocks from beach. I really didn't want to say it cause it was my little secret....lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD[/QUOTE]

Hi there, I just booked the Ocean Gate hotel which I believe is associated with the Tranquilo.? There is a group called North Villages ( I think) described as small boutique hotels close to beach and shops. Trip Advisor consensus is clean, modern a bit funky. The pics look decent. Sort of 60's buildings that have been renovated. No breakfast but free parking and got it for$165 the weekend of Feb 14 when everything is sky high.
Anyone' stayed at these properties,?.

[quote name='Commieri']Hi there, I just booked the Ocean Gate hotel which I believe is associated with the Tranquilo.? There is a group called North Villages ( I think) described as small boutique hotels close to beach and shops. Trip Advisor consensus is clean, modern a bit funky. The pics look decent. Sort of 60's buildings that have been renovated. No breakfast but free parking and got it for$165 the weekend of Feb 14 when everything is sky high.
Anyone' stayed at these properties,?.[/QUOTE]

That's great for that price and on Valentine weekend. We will be back in early November for our cruise and we booked Tranquilo again..for 127/nite. Our last stay 2 weeks ago was wonderful!!

Hi Sharon or anyone who an help me,
We will be in Ft Lauderdale for 3/4 nights next year in April disembarking off the Queen Victoria and boarding another cruise ship doing the transatlantic to Southampton. We have timeshare and thought we will try and use it for the days we have in Ft Lauderdale. They have offered us a choice of 2 and not sure whether they are in a good location to do sightseeing, shopping, restuarants etc. We will be hiring a car for those few days. The 2 resorts are COCONUT BAY RESORT on 919 N Birth Road and FORT LAUDERDALE BEACH RESORT on 909 Breakers Avenue. If anyone knows these resorts I would be most grateful if you could let me know which is better (if any) as my experience with timeshare has not been very good. My husband feels we should scrap the time share and rather book a hotel for those few days. If we do go with the hotel option it would appear from this forum that we should be looking for hotels around the SE 17 Street ....any advise will help. Many thanks

[quote name='Stellenbosch']Hi Sharon or anyone who an help me,
We will be in Ft Lauderdale for 3/4 nights next year in April disembarking off the Queen Victoria and boarding another cruise ship doing the transatlantic to Southampton. We have timeshare and thought we will try and use it for the days we have in Ft Lauderdale. They have offered us a choice of 2 and not sure whether they are in a good location to do sightseeing, shopping, restuarants etc. We will be hiring a car for those few days. The 2 resorts are COCONUT BAY RESORT on 919 N Birth Road and FORT LAUDERDALE BEACH RESORT on 909 Breakers Avenue. If anyone knows these resorts I would be most grateful if you could let me know which is better (if any) as my experience with timeshare has not been very good. My husband feels we should scrap the time share and rather book a hotel for those few days. If we do go with the hotel option it would appear from this forum that we should be looking for hotels around the SE 17 Street ....any advise will help. Many thanks[/quote]

I'm not personally knowledgeable about the two resorts you mentioned, but they are (in my neighborhood) near the beach and 15 minutes from the port. 17th street would be closer to the port and airport.
Jim

[quote name='capriccio']Here's a new program that might work for you; this is from the Fort Lauderdale city press release:

[I]Fort Lauderdale partnership combines airport Sun Trolley service and baggage storage

FORT LAUDERDALE, FL - Fort Lauderdale visitors can make every minute count, thanks to a new airport transportation and baggage storage service that aims to provide convenient access to area attractions and businesses.

With the Fort Lauderdale Excursion, visitors who have a few extra hours to spare can securely store their baggage at the airport and enjoy hassle-free transportation on the Sun Trolley or Water Taxi to explore the City's best cultural attractions, sites, dining, shopping and entertainment.

The service is ideal for tourists and business travelers who have a few hours to spare before scheduled departures.

The Fort Lauderdale Excursion includes luggage storage at Bags To Go Enterprises, located at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, Sun Trolley transportation between the airport and downtown, an all-day ticket for the Sun Trolley and/or Water Taxi, sightseeing opportunities and an array of special offers and discounts.

The excursion is available daily from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Friday through Sunday. The last departure from downtown is at 3:30 p.m. The downtown drop off and pick up point is located at the Fort Lauderdale History Center near area attractions and Las Olas Boulevard.

The price for the one day Sun Trolley excursion is $19.95 per person. A combo package that includes the Sun Trolley and Water Taxi is available for $29.95 per person.

The ticket price includes admission to several attractions, including the Historic Stranahan House, Fort Lauderdale History Center and the Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale.

For more information, visit [URL="http://www.suntrolley.com"]www.suntrolley.com[/URL] or call 954-761-3543.[/I][/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Has anyone recently done this? When I go to Sun Trollys web site it doesn't have anything about it. Was thinking when I first saw it there was info about the program and partnership with Bags to Go.
When you go here:
[url]http://bagstogo.net/services.php?lc=3[/url]
Then click on the Sun Trolly Icon under tours and transfers you get this:
[url]https://www.blacktie-southflorida.com/online_sales/rsvp_ticket_purchase.cfm?rsvpid=2068[/url]
Which is why I am wondering if this is still offered.

If anyone has any other options for luggage storage for the day in Fort Lauderdale would appreciate any suggestions. Our sail date is getting closer. We are sailing Princess and flying Spirit and they don't offer the EZ Check service or we would do that and just get a shuttle to wherever for the day.
We don't really want to do any of the cruise excursions, they are only offering two which we have done before and still get you to the airport too early. Our flight doesn't leave till 8:30PM. Also there will be 10-12 of us so car rental is not really a option.
[/FONT] Edited by gracie65

[quote name='jimgo140']I'm not personally knowledgeable about the two resorts you mentioned, but they are (in my neighborhood) near the beach and 15 minutes from the port. 17th street would be closer to the port and airport.
Jim[/QUOTE]

Hi Jim
Thank you for responding. I am glad to hear that our resorts are in your area. Just wondering would we need a car to get to E Las Olas boulevard area or are we close enough to a water taxi to sightsee the Intracoastal waterway. Can you walk around E Sunrise Boulevard and do shopping and go to restuarants?

[quote name='Stellenbosch']Hi Jim
Thank you for responding. I am glad to hear that our resorts are in your area. Just wondering would we need a car to get to E Las Olas boulevard area or are we close enough to a water taxi to sightsee the Intracoastal waterway. Can you walk around E Sunrise Boulevard and do shopping and go to restuarants?[/quote]

If you're good walkers, you could walk, eat, and shop on Sunrise. It would be at least a mile to cross the drawbridge to get there, though. There are many outstanding restaurants, bars, etc. along A1A between Las Olas and Sunrise (a strip about a mile and a half long). You could catch the water taxi at many places along the intra-coastal paralleling that strip. You could get to Las Olas shopping and night life area via water taxi, but I wouldn't recommend walking that far. Otherwise, rent a car; or get a taxi.

Hi Jim
Thank you so much for your help. It makes us feel so much better with our decision to stay at our Timeshare as it appears to have and be near everything we are looking for. We are walkers and so the Galleria Mall and the water taxi is all in our reach. Thank you again for your help, much appreciated.

[quote name='Stellenbosch']Hi Sharon or anyone who an help me,
We will be in Ft Lauderdale for 3/4 nights next year in April disembarking off the Queen Victoria and boarding another cruise ship doing the transatlantic to Southampton. We have timeshare and thought we will try and use it for the days we have in Ft Lauderdale. They have offered us a choice of 2 and not sure whether they are in a good location to do sightseeing, shopping, restuarants etc. We will be hiring a car for those few days. The 2 resorts are COCONUT BAY RESORT on 919 N Birth Road and FORT LAUDERDALE BEACH RESORT on 909 Breakers Avenue. If anyone knows these resorts I would be most grateful if you could let me know which is better (if any) as my experience with timeshare has not been very good. My husband feels we should scrap the time share and rather book a hotel for those few days. If we do go with the hotel option it would appear from this forum that we should be looking for hotels around the SE 17 Street ....any advise will help. Many thanks[/quote]
Hi. I just got back from a vacation and it looks like Jimgo is giving you very solid advice. If you are hiring a car, that will be a much more convenient way to get around than the water taxi, but you could do the water taxi just for the fun and tour of the waterways. The closest stop is at Gallery One.