Tell me about handling your own luggage on debarkation

How does this process work? Do you just keep all of your luggage with you instead of having it outside your cabin by midnight? I would rather do this than stand around waiting on my luggage so I could go home. Thanks in advance!

<MARQUEE>icon_smile.gifShelia icon_smile.gif</MARQUEE>

Sailing the Mariner in.......

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<font color="#003399" face="Benguiat Bk BT">Carnival Destiny 2002</font>

I was thinking the same thing, Shelia. Just don't know if I will be too tired after vacation to pull my luggage around. Staying at Ron Jon's on Sunday so it should be easy to get from ship to cab. Are you flying home on Sunday?

Jacki

Sovereign July 2000

Sovereign August 2000

Imagination July 2001

Sovereign August 2001

Paradies June 2002

Pride August 2002

Sensation March 2003

Enchantment May 2003

Sovereign October 2003

Sensation January 2004

Mariner May 2004

Hi Jacki! We are driving home on Sunday (8 1/2 hour drive) so we wanted to start back early. This will be the first time that we'll be away from our son for 8 nights and I'm going to want to see him. (He's still my baby at 15!) I've also heard horror stories about waiting forever for your luggage. Most of our luggage is on wheels so it won't be bad for us to carry.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

HEY ALL- I HAVE ALSO DONE THIS AND IT WORKS GREAT. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS, YOU HAVE TO LIMIT YOUR BAGS AND THIS IS TOUGH ON A 7 DAY CRUISE. IF YOU CAN USE ONE LARGE ROLLER BAG, A BACKPACK, MAYBE ONE ADDITIONAL SMALL ROLLER BAG (ALCOHOL BAG) THEN YOU CAN JUST WALK RIGHT OFFicon_smile.gif

TIM

Tropicale 10-7-00

Sovereign Of The Seas 5-6-01

Triumph 9-1-01

Explorer Of The Seas 8-31-2002

Carnival Pride 4-12-2003

Mariner Of The Seas 11-16-2003 (Innagural Cruise)

Carnival Fantasy 1-29-2004

Mariner Of The Seas 3-28-2004

community.webshots.com/user/skyking518

We're thinking of this also. However, we have read that you are not allowed to roll your suitcases on escalators, they must be carried. I would also assume the elevators will be crowded on the last day and wheeling our luggage down stairs is not that appealing.

We've never had a long wait for our luggage. At the time it may have seemed like forever, but in reality it was probably 5-10 minutes tops.

Hmmm! I guess I'll have to do some research to find out how many bags you are limited to, etc. I have a bad back and can't carry anything heavy so this idea might be out the door. Thanks everyone for your replies.

We just got off Navigator and we let RCI handle our luggage as normal on debarkation (this was Miami.) It worked like a charm. We had red tags and were called at 8:40am. Our bags appeared on the carousel as we approached it 15 minutes later. I pulled them off and a porter was right there at my shoulder. He loaded them on his cart and put them in the taxi - $5 tip. We pulled out of the seaport at 9:00am sharp.

Yes, it cost me $5 but I would have been slower taking them myself, not too mention the risk of straining something.

KruzinKiwi

Now Sheila, I know how many clothes you're planning to wear. You're never going to be able to manage all those suitcases. icon_wink.gif

And it is true about not being allowed to take wheeled suitcases on the escalators. We were made to pick up our wheeled carry-on suitcases last time.

Beth

As we always have to wait for our color at debarkation, we get the bags at the pier. We never had to wait for them to come, and, being cheap, and having rolling cases, the two of us can handle them for any length cruise. Nancy

Beth, you are sooooo right...LOL! I spoke with DH last night about this and he said he wasn't carrying anything off the ship even if he had to enjoy the ship the whole day. He knows he would get stuck with all of my luggage. icon_wink.gif He then asked me, "How much luggage are you planning on taking anyway?" My response was, "All of it!" icon_biggrin.gif

We just disembarked from Port Canaveral, and yes, you cannot roll luggage on escalators. What we saw was the RCI person directing "large" luggage onto the elevators. So if you carried off you would pretty quick, I think, getting out of there. As it was not how long we waited to get our luggage...it was the damn long line waiting to get into luggage area. That was the pits.

Kim

Dawn Princess

Regal Princess

Grand Princess

Mercury - Celebrity

Windward - NCL

Monarch of the Seas

Voyager of the Seas

Sovereign of the Seas

We were on the Mariner several weeks ago, and had absolutely no problem with debarkation. Our luggage was left outside the room the night before.

My family waited in the internet cafe on deck 8, which was a nice change from the other busy areas on the ship. Once our color (orange)was called at 9:40, we walked though customs and went to the baggage claim area. Our bags were already waiting in the luggage claim area. We zipped by customs with porter taking our bags to curbside. None of our bags were checked by US Customs.

The whole thing from the time our color was called to the time we were on the curb with our bags took about 15-20 minutes tops.

I never thought it could be so easy!

Archived