pacific dawn late leaving sydney

nzmatt

hi,

here are some new photos of the dawn taken from opera house...with my new camera they are ok,but i would never go there again to take photos only when it is wet or overcast,the sun was in the way most of the time and the wind picked up...but good.only the p/d was late instead of 4pm she left at 4.45pm.

cheers matt

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

2-2.jpg

6.jpg

Hi,

Waiting to hear reviews from PD passengers that arrived in this morning.....reason...DH was on train with 2 couples that had just disembarked. They said approx 200 passengers were ill in last 4 days of cruise. Complained of extra long queues in buffet, due to staff serving all food individually, said that process took ages. They were glad to get back home. I just hope they were exaggerating.

Wondering if this is why she was a bit late leaving???

Cheers,

Jen

oh dear a bout of gastro???? we went on the 3 day cruise on 31/7/2009,getting on board took 2 hours and the lines at the buffet were long...disembarking was good,maybe that's why the ship was late.

cheers matt

Hi,

Waiting to hear reviews from PD passengers that arrived in this morning.....reason...DH was on train with 2 couples that had just disembarked. They said approx 200 passengers were ill in last 4 days of cruise. Complained of extra long queues in buffet, due to staff serving all food individually, said that process took ages. They were glad to get back home. I just hope they were exaggerating.

Wondering if this is why she was a bit late leaving???

Cheers,

Jen

Sounds like Noro Virus. If only everyone would wash their hands after the bathroom and before they eat these viruses wouldn't occur.

Do they have Sanitizer liquid on Pacific Dawn as you go into the Dining areas?

Jillybean:)

I read that customs were doing a sopt check this morning delaying people leaving. There was also a lunch on board with a tour that was also late starting. This also added to the mix I feel.

that wont go down to good....yes you have hand sanitizers before you go to buffet and palm court.

matt

The people didnt know what the illness was. They just said around 200 quarantined. Thats an awful lot of people. Like I said before....I hope they were exaggerating, but DH said both couples had not met before, and were just chatting together about these last 4 days, so we will have to wait for a review I guess.

Jen

Hi Matt

Your photos are brilliant! You have a natural talent as a photographer and they look amazing :D.

Can I ask a question about your camera? I have a Panasonic Lumiz tz23 (or something like that). It has 10 optical zoom etc. My question is how do I get decent shots in darkened areas such as the showlounge? My son performed in the kids talent show and I could never get a decent shot. Is there a special setting I should use? thanks for any advice you can offer :).

Hi Matt

Your photos are brilliant! You have a natural talent as a photographer and they look amazing :D.

Can I ask a question about your camera? I have a Panasonic Lumiz tz23 (or something like that). It has 10 optical zoom etc. My question is how do I get decent shots in darkened areas such as the showlounge? My son performed in the kids talent show and I could never get a decent shot. Is there a special setting I should use? thanks for any advice you can offer :).[/quote

same here i just have to find out how to fix that problem.....might need to do a one night a week course in taking photos for 3 months...

Hi Matt,

The photos look great. The sun might have been a pain but it has given your photos a nice effect.

Cheers

Clive

thanks i noticed someone taking photos from the roof of the engine casing right above the teen shack were passengers are not allowed?maybe p&o camera guy who knows.

matt

My question is how do I get decent shots in darkened areas such as the showlounge? :).

Hi Rose,

I'm sure Matt wont mind me answering as well.

That is always going to be a problem. You don't have enough power in your flash to throw the light into a dark area when you zoom. The best answer is usually to get closer, but that's not always convenient.

Cheers

Clive

Hi Rose,

That is always going to be a problem. You don't have enough power in your flash to throw the light into a dark area when you zoom. The best answer is usually to get closer, but that's not always convenient.

Cheers

Clive

no problems that sounds about right....

matt

Hi Rose,

Cheers

Clive

Hi Clive

Thanks for that. I'm glad it's not me then ;).

Hi Matt

Can I ask a question about your camera? I have a Panasonic Lumiz tz23 (or something like that). It has 10 optical zoom etc. My question is how do I get decent shots in darkened areas such as the showlounge? My son performed in the kids talent show and I could never get a decent shot. Is there a special setting I should use? thanks for any advice you can offer :).[/quote

same here i just have to find out how to fix that problem.....might need to do a one night a week course in taking photos for 3 months...

Hi Matt

Thanks for the help too...Guess I might need a camera with a bigger zoom :rolleyes:.

Hi everyone,

we disembarked Pacific Dawn yesterday and it is true there was an outbreak of Nurovirus on board.

On the third last day we noticed that the buffet was not letting anyone serve themselves breakfast and the queues were very long. We overheard someone say there were 200 people on quarantine with Gastro.

Then at about 11 am we had an announcement over the PA from the ship's doctor who confirmed the Gastro outbreak (but did not say how many people were quarantined) He said that the ship was implementing code red sanitation procedures and asked everyone to co-operate and be extra vigiant with hand washing to protect themselves.

The procedures we noticed were- no more helping yourself to food or coffee at all (which meant long lines but I think people understood)

-no more serviettes put on the tables for drinks as apparently that can carry germs.

-the staff no longer touched our cruise cards but just looked at our name and number when we ordered drinks.

-the captain also told us of the outbreak at his lunchtime address over the PA system.

-we received a comprehensive letter in our cabin explaining the outbreak and how we could best protect ourselves.

-galley tour was cancelled so they did the morning show as a tour of the galley with the head chef and Zoltina-J instead which was prpbably better for me since I hate crowds anyway!:)

We felt The Dawn's Staff handled the outbreak very impressively. On the last day the Captain announced that the numbers of people affected by Gastro had now significantly reduced, so it sounds like their procedures had proven effective to prevent the spread of the disease.

There were longer than usual lines at the buffet and waiting to get into the Palm Court dining room (more people choosing this option than normal)

but overall it was fine and I think most passengers understood and were supportive.

Hope this answers your questions.

Can I ask a question about your camera? I have a Panasonic Lumiz tz23 (or something like that). It has 10 optical zoom etc. My question is how do I get decent shots in darkened areas such as the showlounge? My son performed in the kids talent show and I could never get a decent shot. Is there a special setting I should use? thanks for any advice you can offer :).

Excellent shots Matt.

Thanks for sharing.

Brossy,

I dont know if this will help with your querie, but here is something I found out with my digital camera.

Took a shot of the Chocaholics buffet which was set out around the pool one evening and the first shot with the flash just gave a black background. Tried again but this time swiched to the setting without the flash .....here are the results.

I also tried in the showlounge without the flash, and it worked great.

CIMG1049.jpg

CIMG1048.jpg

Thank you, Sunbaker for the up-date.

I was a bit worried-

Yes - we need to wash our hands lots, but people don't realize that hand sanitizers "kill 99.99% of Germs" which are bacteria, NOT virus's.

If it killed Virus's they wouldn't have to make vaccines.

It only helps so much - but we need to do everything we can.

We're going to tell our staff not to shake hands this winter.

Yes, there was Hand Sanitiser everywhere on the ship. I also think they should put some in our bathrooms too, as well as the soap.

The Captain did say after the outbreak that he was very sorry he would not be shaking anyone's hands for the rest of the trip and he hoped we understood.

It was the Captains Cocktail Party that night (we were not invited as it was our first cruise :confused: )

Anyway our captain sounded LOVELY. Captain Lorenzo. He was so good at informing us over the PA daily what was going on and was very amusing too.

Archived