7-night vs. 10-night PG cruise

ellie424

What are your thoughts regarding taking a 7-night Tahiti and Society Islands cruise vs. a 10-night Society Islands and Tuamotus cruise?? FYI - the 10-night visits Huahine, Raiatea, Rangiroa, Bora Bora, Tahaa, and Moorea. Has anyone done both of these itineraries? If so, which do you prefer and why?? :)

I'll take a crack at this, and just give you my reasons for preferring the 10 day cruise. Its pretty simple, really. More time on the ship, more time in between two arduous flights. I have taken both itineraries - two 7 days, and one 10 day. We are taking a second 10 day in June. Lets face it, the flight to Tahiti is long - very long. More than 8 hours. A real ordeal. I want to postpone returning as long as possible! Also, I'd rather be on the ship visiting an island for another few days, instead of prolonging our trip by staying in one of the hotels a few extra days, or coming early for a pre-cruise 2-3 days.

In sum, a 7 day cruise does not seem long enough to justifying the 8 plus hours to and from. Now, thats just me. I'm sure you will get a lot of other opinions.

:D

Ditto what Sue said.

We spend the first couple of days just winding down are not anxious to get back to the rat race. The post-cruises are OK, but the aren't the Paul Gauguin (an they are much more money per diem).

We decided to go with the 7 day cruise, spending two nights at a bed and breakfast in Pape'ete before and four nights in Bora Bora after--partly because this will be our first cruise ever and we didn't know if we might feel claustrophobic on a ship for so long, partly because we couldn't resist the idea of DH's 50th birthday spent flying into Bora Bora and then having our own OTW bungalow complete with glass coffeetable where we can watch and feed the fishies. However, this forum cautions that the island stays are more expensive with less good food and service.

I think if we like this cruise, we will pick a longer one next time. Already I'm counting on catching the Polynesia fever. DH grew up on the Mediterrean sea and is completely at home in the water world; I grew up in the Midwest and tend to gravitate to mountains as opposed to oceans in general. This is be the first water centered vacation I have ever had despite two very enjoyable trips to Kuaii and Mauii (where we also did a fair amount of hiking inland)

The 7-day is a great introduction to the islands. We've done the 7-day 4 times (including a back to back.)

I agree absolutely about maximizing your time--it's just not worth the stress of the flights for too short a period.

And do get to the ship rested; at least spend a night in Papeete beforehand, more if you can (our shortest trip included one night pre-cruise). Our favourite still was our first--a 4 day pre-cruise on Manihi, in a beach bungalow--we reached the ship feeling like natives already!

I haven't done the 10-day, I'm sure it's wonderful. More is definitely better; if we manage to go again we might choose 10 or 11 days, if the 14-night Marquesas itinerary does not seduce us again.

Thank you for your feedback!! We are going with the 10-night cruise for our honeymoon and we can't wait!! We are also going to do a 2-3 night pre-cruise stay and hopefully get to spend some of that time in an overwater bungalow in Moorea. Thanks again!! :)

Oh Ellie, you are going to have such a wonderful time!!! I don't recall if you mentioned what month you are going? Congratulations to you for you wedding and I'm sure you will love the honeymoon.

Kim:)

Thank you so much Kim!! :) My fiance and I will be going on our PG cruise in May 2011. We were able to snatch up one of the coveted Category C aft balcony cabins. We have cabin 767. We can't wait!!!! :D

Thank you so much Kim!! :) My fiance and I will be going on our PG cruise in May 2011. We were able to snatch up one of the coveted Category C aft balcony cabins. We have cabin 767. We can't wait!!!! :D

I am SO excited for you!! The time will fly by and you will be married and on your way to Paradise before you know it. We'd love to see some pictures (wedding too!) when you get back. Keep us posted!:)

Thank you for your feedback!! We are going with the 10-night cruise for our honeymoon and we can't wait!! We are also going to do a 2-3 night pre-cruise stay and hopefully get to spend some of that time in an overwater bungalow in Moorea. Thanks again!! :)

Ellie, that sounds great. We are debating our 25th anniversary trip one year late. The 10 day is what we are considering also.

I think the OTW bungalow sounds great for a night or two.

Kim in IL

• 1 month later...

Our very first cruise ever was on the PG. We chose the 7 day cruise for that reason not knowing what we would encounter or feel about being on board. We were sold from the first day aboard! We tried the Regent's Mariner shortly after the 1st cruise and while the ship itself was larger and more lux, we found the crew on the PG more service oriented and friendly.

I would say that most returning passengers book the PG for the wonderful vacation offered on board and not for the islands themselves(beautiful but somewhat similiar to each other). We are groupies and I wish sometimes that the ship sailed elsewhere(outside of FP).

We will be taking our 5th PG cruise in November and agree with all the other posters. The service and quality of the food aboard ship is hands down better than what you will pay for on land. The service is poor and the cost of food on land is very high. We have done pre and post stays and have always come away feeling that the best value for our money is on the PG.

Archived