PG Past Cruisers: Any Mold or Mildew Odors?

happybeachbum

We are in the process of choosing a cruise for our 30th anniversary.

I have terrible sensitivities to inside water damage mold spores. (Lucky me)

Anyway, I once commented on CC about a mold or mildew problem we encountered on a ship, and someone warned never to take a PG cruise! I think he was referring to the marina area of the ship?

Have any past cruisers experienced any moldy, musty smells or noticed water damage stains on walls or carpeting?

Thank you!

There are definitely some mouldy odors in the nooks and crannies on the PG. However they are due for a refurb - major one in Jan 2012 do maybe that will be alleviated.

Because this ship is in the south pacific even new carpet picks this up. I dont think its the Marina - as that area is quite self contained and the mouldy odors were on the stairway.

I think it was better this year than past years but that is no consolation for you.

We are in the process of choosing a cruise for our 30th anniversary.

I have terrible sensitivities to inside water damage mold spores. (Lucky me)

Anyway, I once commented on CC about a mold or mildew problem we encountered on a ship, and someone warned never to take a PG cruise! I think he was referring to the marina area of the ship?

Have any past cruisers experienced any moldy, musty smells or noticed water damage stains on walls or carpeting?

Thank you!

We traveled on the P.G last month and saw no evidence, or smell, of mold or mildew. There were a few stains on the carpet here and there but overall it wasn't an issue at all, at least for us.

This year was my sixth trip on board. While I love the pG and dont have any problem with the mouldy odours ( just a whiff here or a whiff there) someone who is seriously allergic to mould spores could have a problem.

Didn't notice any moldy or musty smells (and I'm part canine :D:D) but there are unsightly water and stain marks throughout the carpets. These were apparent in both public and private areas. As Emdee mentioned, PG is scheduled for a drydock in Jan 2012. Carpets will be replaced and all will look great. But there may still be underlying mold issues that are less easily tackled.

Maybe call PG and ask them about the state of the nation. I'm sure they would be forthright if you mentioned your health sensitivities.

As a fairly frequent traveller to the tropics (mostly biz, UNFORTUNATELY!) I can confidently say that from Hawaii to Malaysia, and Samoa to Singapore... including coastal California... anyone living along the coast lives/deals with humidity issues. Damp Rid in closets is a life saver!

If you are VERY sensitive to mold/spore, and seeing how French Polynesia is so close to the equator, you will never be "free" from mold concerns (even the local shops/restaurants have enough mold issues to cause concern for someone with a serious mold concern.) For the average person, you may not even notice it.

Having said all this... I can't imagine a greater shame in life than NOT visiting this beautiful region!... unless the mold issue creates SIGNIFICANT distress, this is a truly GORGEOUS part of the planet not to be missed. If however, you're significantly impaired, then I would consider drier climates and beautiful cathedrals!... perhaps the Vatican?

Realize though... any ship... even those cruising the Med, might have mold issues. Where there's water....???

Best of luck! Please keep us posted - always interested in what everyone chooses.

The Vatican? .....well, it's pretty old, might be moldy......

There's a wonderful itinerary on Azamara Journey, 11/27/11. Considering that, and possibly Seadream? Seadream is getting on in age, so hopefully there is immaculate upkeep/cleaning of air ducts, etc.

.....Also, on Seadream, if I do react to indoor air, I can sleep under the stars, as they transition the Bali outdoor lounge beds into sleep beds for those pax requesting an outdoor bed for the night!

Also, 767drvr., I was a 767 (among other makes & models) f/a for 24 years. Yep, the best o/n's were in the Caribbean! But not too many of those to be had, being based in PIT!

Also, 767drvr., I was a 767 (among other makes & models) f/a for 24 years. Yep, the best o/n's were in the Caribbean! But not too many of those to be had, being based in PIT!

Well my dear hbb... if you loved the Caribbean... you must put this cruise on your bucket list! Trust me!! Here's a link from our cruise (with pics!) if interested... life's short, enjoy it while you're vertical I say! :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1152411

Best Wishes! We had a BLAST!

Well my dear hbb... if you loved the Caribbean... you must put this cruise on your bucket list! Trust me!! Here's a link from our cruise (with pics!) if interested... life's short, enjoy it while you're vertical I say! :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1152411

Best Wishes! We had a BLAST!

It was a while back, but I enjoyed all the posts about your trip! It sure was last minute! Did you passride? I used to vow that I would take this cruise only if I could passride. No longer. We were nonrev on our last two trips, and it was a lesson in Murphy's Law. It would create too much stress pre-cruise; I need to know I'll make it before the ship leaves! Peace of mind is a must when traveling such a distance! Maybe I'll chance it on the way back.......:p

It sure was last minute! Did you passride? I used to vow that I would take this cruise only if I could passride. No longer. We were nonrev on our last two trips, and it was a lesson in Murphy's Law. It would create too much stress pre-cruise; I need to know I'll make it before the ship leaves! Peace of mind is a must when traveling such a distance! Maybe I'll chance it on the way back.......:p

We bought the air. I'm with you about the stress. On vacation I want to R-E-L-A-X... have heard of way too many horror stories. Actually, my wife all but refuses to nonrev after her last experience. :( I remind her that life is an adventure and all that and she just "grrrrs" back! :)

Archived