Speaking French

Irish 7

I brought one when I was there...never used it. I don't know any French at all, and I found that 1) most everyone with whom I needed to interact spoke English, and 2) even when I attempted to use a French phrase from the book, my utter lack of knowledge about the French language meant that they didn't understand me anyway. So unless you already have a passable working knowledge of the language, I wouldn't bother.

It's not at all necessary, but knowing a bit of French helps once in a while. Learn how to say please and thank you, and to ask how much something costs, and you'll be fine.

LOL Wendy that's about all I could say in French that they could understand! ;) The problem with attempting to speak in a foreign language to the locals is that they might respond BACK to you in that language. And then what? :o

I hope so, Wendy...because I have a terrible feeling that my efforts to speak it sound like fingernails on a chalkboard to them. Try as I might, I just cannot get my mouth to make those lovely, lyrical sounds I hear coming from French-speakers. I always feel like I'm choking!

I'm much better at speaking Italian - now THAT'S a language I can get my tongue around! I'm of Italian descent and before my first visit to Italy many years ago, I took a few classes to learn to get by (I was going places where people just don't speak English). I can roll Italian out like I was born with a canoli in my pocket. But French? I really think they'd prefer it if I don't mangle their beautiful language. :p

I agree with Wendy. Whenever we travel overseas I try to learn some basic phrases of the language spoken in that country. I have had really good experience with Language C.D.'s, I need to hear the words spoken and repeat alot. I don't speak a word of french and I did okay in Paris with some basic phrases. I even managed to learn a little Russian when we took a river boat from St. Petersburg to Moscow, and it was invaluable. I find the locals always appreciate if you are at least trying to speak their language a little even if it is just to learn to ask in their language if they speak English rather than just assuming they should speak our language. I think the C.D.'s I have in French are the Pimsleur series, that I bought at Barnes & Noble. Good Luck & have fun!! GG

I hope so, Wendy...because I have a terrible feeling that my efforts to speak it sound like fingernails on a chalkboard to them. Try as I might, I just cannot get my mouth to make those lovely, lyrical sounds I hear coming from French-speakers. I always feel like I'm choking!

I'm much better at speaking Italian - now THAT'S a language I can get my tongue around! I'm of Italian descent and before my first visit to Italy many years ago, I took a few classes to learn to get by (I was going places where people just don't speak English). I can roll Italian out like I was born with a canoli in my pocket. But French? I really think they'd prefer it if I don't mangle their beautiful language. :p

Just pretend you're in Paris, strolling down the Champs Elysee, and shrug a lot!

to learn the basics (please, thank you, etc.) in Tahitian (rather than or in addition to) French. Your effort will be rewarded. Tahitian is a beautiful language and if you seek out assistance with pronounciation from a local, not too difficult to speak a few phrases.

Like many cultures annexed by other countries, the local language was discouraged and French (only) taught/used for many years. This has changed in recent times and the Tahitians are please to share their language/culture.

Mauruuru

to learn the basics (please, thank you, etc.) in Tahitian (rather than or in addition to) French. Your effort will be rewarded. Tahitian is a beautiful language and if you seek out assistance with pronounciation from a local, not too difficult to speak a few phrases.

Like many cultures annexed by other countries, the local language was discouraged and French (only) taught/used for many years. This has changed in recent times and the Tahitians are please to share their language/culture.

Mauruuru

I think that's a FABULOUS idea! Here's a great link I found: http://www.tahititravel.com/language.html

Speaking of Italian, that just reminded me of another idea for learning foreign languages for travel. Our local Junior College offers w/e courses specifically for travel to France, Italy, etc. I took one for Italian, and it was great, they give you handouts with the common phrases that are helpful for traveling to other countries (that you can take with you), that you can take with you. I may try to do one for French for a refresher course before my PG cruise. GG

Archived