3rd person in a cabin...

cforge

Hi

Does anyone have any info about the 3d person in the cabin. I seem to recall that the 3rd person only pays air. And also that there were specific rooms set aside for this. I've tried to find it on their website but to no avail. We did the 10 night last August; best vacation of our lives. Looking to do another perhaps next year. Thinking our son may join us.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I believe that all sailings are now 3rd person free (less airfare and port taxes).

Look at the deck plans on the pgcruises.com website. Those cabins marked with a little dot can accommodate a 3rd person. As I recall, on deck four that would be all cabins ending in 2 or 8 (418, 422, 428, 432, 438).

I am happy to see that the PG flu has claimed another victim (we are booked for number 7 next June)!

I would also recommend that you get a copy of Emdee's PG tips...very useful info on all aspects of sailing on the PG!

Just found this:

http://www.pgcruises.com/ship/ms-paul-gauguin/deckplans

Triple Occupancy staterooms Loveseat convertible beds are available in the following staterooms:

All Categories OS, GS, A and B Category C: 12 staterooms (those ending in 6 and 8 – with the exception of 7006 and 766)

Category D: 5 staterooms (those ending in 6 and 8)

Category E: 11 staterooms (those ending in 5, 6 and 8 – with the exception of 415, which can accommodate a rollaway bed)

Note: Loveseat beds are slightly smaller than a standard twin bed, but can comfortably accommodate an average size adult.

Edited by MotuIslander

Hi Cforge,

This is Emdee's DD. I thought I would respond since every time I go with her I end up being the third person.

I don't remember what we pay regarding the surcharges but the airfare for the third person last year was $1450.

Also, the bed is from the loveseat and isn't very large(no room to toss and turn). It is actually one of the smallest sofabeds I have slept on during all our cruises. Comfort wise it is just all right but paradise makes up for that. With it open there isn't a lot of room to move around that bed since you lose your sitting room and the table ends up near the corner beside the vanity/dressing table area.

Having a third person in the cabin I suggest getting a E or F because of the ledge near the window. That ledge is a crucial space to store items since you lose the table and space around the sofa due to the bed.

Also, there is one cabin I can recommend not getting 426 since there is pipe going down between this cabin and 428 that water flows down. It happens at weird times and makes quiet a sound. If you walk by these cabins you will see a closet door, which I believe is where the pipe is located.

• 6 months later...

Thanks for this informative post from last year - there is just a chance that we may be sailing PG again in December 2013 .. fingers crossed.

Last time we were a couple but this time, we'd likely be going for a Cat B stateroom, 3 pax including our 17 year old.

Which, if any, of those B verandah staterooms might offer the sofa bed option?

I think we'd prefer a sofabed to a rollaway which would take up space during the day ... ??

Thanks in eager anticipation!

May have answered my own question by looking at the deck plan .. always a good idea but I am so excited I turned to Cruise Cruise first :D

Anyway it looks as if all Cat B staterooms have what's called the 'loveseat' and the three pax capability .. is this a fancy way of describing the sofabed?

And what do people think of Cat B? Last time we were C, which was also fine ...

Fingers crossed ...

Hi astrocat,

I went on category B for the first time this year and loved it so much that I am thinking of upgrading from my usual E!

I chose the one nearest the pool on the opposite side of the pool bar since my knee was hurt. I liked the location because of its proximity to the elevators, pool and pool bar. Being on the other side of the bar and not behind it there was no noise from the bar. On the other hand it meant I could come back from my excursions and place my standing drink order (juice of half a lime with half a teaspoon of coarse salt) and I would other go back in ten and pick it up or more often than not they would bring it to our cabin before I had a chance to go back!

The size is a bit larger than the regular cabins as well. You have a linen room on one side and a cabin on the other. I think three would fit in nicely and the proximity to the pool, le grill and la palette is also great. I think my DD would love it too.

The extra space would help when you are three. We are used to travelling together but I always find the pg a bit tight for three but didn't find the D which we have been on much better.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Emdee

Very useful, thanks Emdee. So looking at deckplan, you were 818 or 817?

I have got the bit between my teeth now .. just a tad confused about the PG website. On the deckplan page, it says "Triple Occupancy staterooms Loveseat convertible beds are available in the following staterooms: All Categories OS, GS, A and B "

But on the stateroom page, it says "B Veranda Staterooms can accommodate a third guest by adding a roll-away."

So, do the B verandahs have loveseats, sofabeds, or rollaways?!

Tks

Astrocat

PS I dont want to confuse you with my NZ friend, Emgee!! Perhaps you are related?? :D

Edited by astrocat

Hi astro,

We were in 817

Since DD wasn't with us don't know about the triple. We I'd have a loveseat.

Suggest you call or email them and ask.

We had a rollaway once on another line and it was awful so know what you men.

My NZ relations have a different moniker....sorry. The name Emdee is from my initials!

Our daughter has slept in both the sofa bed and fold up bed. Both are doable. She had a slight preference for the sofa bed. The steward close and open both each day if you want which makes for more room. To be honest, any of the cabins can be made for 3 since all they have to do is move the sofa bed to another cabin which they did for us once. The cabin with 3 is small but well worth it according to our daughter who went 3x with us!

• 1 year later...

Didn't want to start a thread and found this...

We are considering PG for a cruise in March and I just called to ask a few questions and was told the 3rd person only pays taxes ($170) and air (if needed). I was surprised so decided to stop by and ask a couple questions :D

1. The 3rd person would still be 'all inclusive' right? Is there an age limit for it? I'll be 21 by then and started to wonder if the cabin will be too tight given the price. I've stayed in the same cabin with my parents though and wouldn't mind sharing some space for that price :p It's supposed to be a family trip, after all ;)

2. Would it be worth paying some $2000 for each 1st and 2nd passengers and get a cat B for the extra space? One could 'consider' this difference as the price for the 3rd, but I'm not sure if the extra square footage would be worth the cost...any insights?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Ricardo,

A third person in a fourth deck cabin is very tight but doable is you are used to sharing with the parents. My daughter has been sharing with us for many years and only gets her own if the single supp is reasonable. If you are used to sharing you will know how to make this work.

The third person In the B is very comfortable. In a B you are also close to the pool bar and pool deck which is great.

Anyway next time we are returning to the 4th deck.

Hi Ricardo,

A third person in a fourth deck cabin is very tight but doable is you are used to sharing with the parents. My daughter has been sharing with us for many years and only gets her own if the single supp is reasonable. If you are used to sharing you will know how to make this work.

The third person In the B is very comfortable. In a B you are also close to the pool bar and pool deck which is great.

Anyway next time we are returning to the 4th deck.

Emdee,

Thanks for the response!

It seems to me (from pictures and the little plan on the website) that cats F-C are smaller (at least the sitting area/my sleeping area) than the staterooms we've been in the past, but I'll try to look further into it and compare. It does sound tempting to share the smaller one since this will be a 'quick' trip during my spring break :eek: and we can use the price difference on flights, tours, etc. What I mean is that for this trip anything would be a 'bonus' since we weren't originally planning something so cool and different for us. Needless to say I'm excited :D

Merry Christmas!

All those cabins would be the same size!

You will likely only use your cabin to sleep. Deck 4 is by reception and so its a nice spot to wait if your family needs the cabin to wait.

Go for it. You won't be sorry. Yes the bed is small and uncomfortable but you will be in paradise.

The B is only a tiny bit bigger than a C, or an E for that matter. Lovely location, not sure it's worth it. The difference in size is that the cabin is probably about a foot wider or so. That's all. Perhaps Cruiserdreamer1 can say if there was a difference for them. I would weigh the upgrade cost against the cost of getting your own cabin, with no balcony (balconies aren't worth it on this ship, in my opinion.) I believe they have no single supplement on some cabins on deck 4 or 3.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Thank you for the responses :) we'll check the costs for two oceanviews as well then ;)

Just one more question (since I'm already here :D ) : what do you guys think of the flight/transfer option? I would fly from Orlando (so probably get a flight to LAX separately) but my parents would come from Brazil. I think it wouldn't be worth for them (they can fly LAN via Santiago and Easter Island) because they don't have specific dates and can come earlier, but wouldn't it be best/safer if I do it with PG and fly in the day the cruise starts? I have classes on Thursday so was thinking about flying into LAX on Friday morning/afternoon (no class!) and getting the flight to Papeete that night.

YOu will need to find out whether you can separate one person out of the reservation.

Which airline flies Santiago to Papeete?

The limiting factor about papeete is that only two airlines fly into it. Even air NZ is now bode shared.

YOu will need to find out whether you can separate one person out of the reservation.

Which airline flies Santiago to Papeete?

The limiting factor about papeete is that only two airlines fly into it. Even air NZ is now bode shared.

From what they told me on the phone any combination can be made. The 3rd person's flight was more expensive, so maybe they'll charge that. As far as I know LAN flies several times daily from Sao Paulo to Santiago and Santiago to Easter Island, then they fly once a week to Papeete from Easter Island.