Drift Snorkel

ducklite

I am a strong swimmer but novice snorkeler. The description of the drift snorkels say they are suggested for experienced snorkelers. Why is this?

Also, which island is the better one to take a drift snorkel excursion from?

The only other must-do for us is Dr. Poole's dolphin watching. Is it better to go in the morning or afternoon?

One week in FP is harder to plan than three weeks in Europe was. :(

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Because of the current. Can't tell you the best island.

I didn't know you had a choice for Dr. Poole's excursion, but I would choose morning. Bring your towel and snorkel gear, because despite what the excursion description says, he may let you get in the water with the dolphins; not the spinner dolphins though. This was a great excursion, and he is very personable.

Thanks! It sounds like they are more concerned with swimming ability than snorkeling ability then. I am not worried about the swimming part--I'm assuming we are in life jackets anyhow?

I though I had read someone's trip review that they had a choice of morning or afternoon with Dr. Poole, maybe I was wrong.

Three years ago I did the drift snorkeling in Rangiroa; two groups of about five each went together, holding hands. We didn't wear a life vest, but looking at the description today, I see that a snorkeling life vest is required. I don't consider myself an experienced snorkeler at all, and even though I was a little nervous, it was a great time. The best snorkeling, however, was the drift snorkel we did with Bruno Fabre in the coral gardens off Taha'a. http://www.tahaa.net

I'd highly recommend contacting Katy from Yaka plongee. She'll personalize your excursion to your ability and comfort level. We paid the same as the excursion from the ship but we were able to experience so much more.

The drift snorkel on Rangiora and Tahaa/Raiatea are different

Rangiora has strong current and you should wear a vest.

On Tahaa/Raiatea the current is strong but there isn't much room between you and the sharp coral with you having very little control to avoid. There is not enough room to wear a vest as it would possibly snag on the coral.

If you are over weight or you do not have fins (strongly recommended) to help maneuver in tight coral areas ............ don't take this tour. I suggest wearing water gloves as well, just in case you need to extend your hand to push off rock/coral formations.

I've taken the drift snorkel at least 5 times (several times with Bruno) ............ every time I go there are a few who get cut up on the coral ......... ouch!

Edited by Tikiintahiti

The drift snorkel on Rangiora and Tahaa/Raiatea are different

Rangiora has strong current and you should wear a vest.

On Tahaa/Raiatea the current is strong but there isn't much room between you and the sharp coral with you having very little control to avoid. There is not enough room to wear a vest as it would possibly snag on the coral.

If you are over weight or you do not have fins (strongly recommended) to help maneuver in tight coral areas ............ don't take this tour. I suggest wearing water gloves as well, just in case you need to extend your hand to push off rock/coral formations.

I've taken the drift snorkel at least 5 times (several times with Bruno) ............ every time I go there are a few who get cut up on the coral ......... ouch!

This is exactly the kind of info I needed. We are not overweight and are both athletic. My husband is certified in swift water rescue and I swim laps daily in the warmer weather, and we both strength train and run year round.

Does PG provide fins?

It sounds like Rangiora would be the better choice for us, we would rather see a little less but not take the chance of being cut up by the coral. No problem with wearing a vest, it would be our preference anyhow. We will both have water shoes and rash guard shirts as well.

Your knowledge has been very helpful!

Been there and am a serious diver and snorkeler. Depending on the tide and time the pass can be downright scary. Bore waves 2 to 4 ft...and 2-3 kts speed ( stronger than anyone can swim against.) You need a very high level of confidence in deep rough water

You let go and your in for the ride of your life. The second visit, the current was too strong and we cancelled....strong and rough enough to scare me.

On Rangaroa, it is a deep channel...80 ft and what they do not say is at the tide change is that is dinner time for thousands of fish and hundreds of large sharks Grey and Black tip and Hammer Heads and a few White tip reef shark.

You get swept over and through them but they are pretty focused on fish not people. I mention this because if you have never been or around sharks..lots of em... this might freak you out.

I was talking a Captain a few weeks back and he told me the current coming into Rangiora can be very fast. He recalled one entry where he gave the ship all she had and was doing about 4 knots net meaning the current was about 9-10 knots. This isn't the norm but it can be very fast depending on the tide.

People usually don't know there are hammerhead sharks in the channel which can be very aggressive .....

For the seasoned diver it isn't a big issue but as you mentioned for those that haven't been in this type of situation it can be very scary.

Edited by Tikiintahiti

Ugh. Not sure Ragiora is going to work for us then. Any other options for those of us with plenty of confidence (particularly while wearing a life vest) but little to no snorkeling experience who aren't necessarily in love with the idea of swimming with sharks while they are feeding?

Ugh. Not sure Ragiora is going to work for us then. Any other options for those of us with plenty of confidence (particularly while wearing a life vest) but little to no snorkeling experience who aren't necessarily in love with the idea of swimming with sharks while they are feeding?

I would get in a pool a bunch, I use a wet suit top instead of a "snorkel vest" which in truth was designed to be a life jacket and flaot you on your back face up. Wearing one in front is not good. Wearing a 1/8" shorty wet suit or a surfers vest is just as good and you float like a cork... really try it. It is what I wear. The water will be anouf 80 to 82 F that's cold enough for a wet suit after 20 min. I use them in Hawaii, in fact tomorrow here in Kona

Rangaroa...you have to be critter confortable because you are entering another world you have not been to I last dove and snorkeled Rangaroa 2005 and they had a severe coral bleach which killed off a lot of stuff. I was with Jean Michel Costeau so I think my info was accurate. The Coral at that time looked not great Bora too is pretty devoid as is any lagoon.

Coral a filter feeder does not do well near sand and sandy places.

All your passes in the reef are going to attract big fish.".pelagic" they are called and range ffrom Marlin and Swordfish to , well, Sharks. That's where the feed... that's a fact of life.

If you want to avoid sharks in Polynesia , do not get in the water they live there and keep the place healthy...they are a good thing .

They do not look for people like in Jaws.... that is myth. Unless your trying to feed a shark or someone is your going to you will be fine. ( Feeding any wild thing teaches it you are food related. Like feeding birds to bears, it can have unintended results.. Do not assume the people doing the feeding know any more than you... If the did they wouldn't...it is against the law here in Hawaii)

I would suggest snorkeling the north side on Moorea inside the reef as a good alternative. Keep away from the passes and the outter face of the reefs and your chances of seeing a shark are vastly reduced... That area is the most placid place I know..over west of Cooks bay are very nice areas by the intercontental hotel... good wave runner tours

Do some research, look for pictures, get in the water play with some gear talk to some dive shops... get informed and information breed knowledge and that creates confidence......

Your going to inner space.....prepare its fun and safe...you can do it

Rangiroa has the "Aquarium" close to the tender dock that is very calm and is a great snorkeling experience for beginners. Clear deep water and tons of fish.

In truth this is not a very great place... If you have never seen coral or fish in warm clear water... it might seem stunning. There are much nicer places but if that's all you got... make the best of it.

North side of Moorea still has my vote for the region and Fakarava takes the cake.. almost as good as Fiji and Palau

My experience with boat guys who spoke French mostly was not that great either. The go for abou3 30 min in the water... ho hum

Agree .......... just stay away from the bay openings and the outer reef.

The black tip sharks will let you tickle their belly as long as they aren't feeding.

Between the motus on Moorea is a good spot to snorkel, a day use at the Hilton Moorea has good snorkeling.

The Aquarium on Rangi is good and safe as mentioned by Twin.

I am not worried about fast currents. As I said, I am a strong swimmer and my husband is certified in swift water rescue.

I am also not worried about sea life except that I have the common sense to not want to be around sharks at feeding time.

When you offered Moorea as an alternative... Is this a shore excursion? If not, how it get there? Offering options like the Cooks is irrelevant as we are taking a seven day typical itinerary.

Thanks for your time.

I should add that I do not want to spend the money on any wet suit or other gear that we will use for a day or so in Tahiti and most likely never again. Our vacation plans for the foreseeable future after this trip take us to primarily urban areas in Europe, San Francisco, LA, Australia, and maybe Antarctica.

Well, for what it's worth, I don't think there's any comparison between Rangiora drift snorkel and the Coral Gardens drift snorkel. My husband and I, both past 65 years did the Coral Garden ( the best experience of our lives) with no problem. We are not nearly as fit as you seem to be--my husband is overweight and I do a little Zumba. However, my children and grandchildren are awesome swimmers, so I guess it's in the genes.:)--17 mile Na Pali swim, Catalina swim, Tahoe Swim, etc. And, yes, PG supplies fins.

My experience was with the drift snorkel in Tahaa....my wife and I had no issues whatsoever. While It is possible to run into the coral, if you can swim reasonably well, see 6 feet in front of you, any pay attention to what the guides say, you should have no issues at all. Wearing gloves is sensible idea. We enjoyed this excursion quite a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The excursion write-up states, "It is recommended for experienced snorkelers who are extremely comfortable in the water, as snorkeling is done over very shallow water. Novice/beginner snorkelers are strongly encouraged to participate in the Snorkel and Black Pearl Farm Adventure."

Every time I have done the drift snorkel there is always one or two people who get cut up, nothing major but still a good OUCH!

That means some people don't either read the dis-claimer for they think they are a better snorkeler than they actually are.

Yes, goo water gloves are very helpful. If you are obese or let your knees hang low or are simply not proficient in swimming/snorkeling don't take this tour, take the one recommended.

I did the drift snorkel from Raiatea last week and did get scratches from the first two drifts. I would class them as minor although a little unsightly. They didn't stop me having a third run. I don't think I overestimated my own

snorkelling ability however you also need to be mindful of other less experienced snorkelers who cannon into you from behind, despite being warned to keep distance. C'est la vie. I still enjoyed the excursion. The sensation was like snorkelling in a fast running river. Clear water and numerous fish.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the drift snorkel in Rangiroa. It was so fun!! I don't consider myself a STRONG snorkeler, but I am comfortable in the water. We got to go three or four passes in different areas, and it's so great. The fact is, you will see sharks in FP. Don't let this stop you! There was a woman on our boat who couldn't swim and did fine with her vest.

• 1 month later...

Hello fellow cruisers,

This is our 1st cruise and trip to Tahiti on Oceania March 26, 2014. Can anyone recommend a Drift Snorkel tour that is not with a mob of people? I hear there is one that you walk (20 mins) thru island and drift snorkel the current back to the boat. I have one tentatively reserved with Moorea Mahana Tours and we have to go to the Intercontinental Hotel to take. Anyone you can recommend that meets at dock?

In Rangaria, we are on the Blue lagoon tour with Jean-Pierre. Also I have reserved a drift snorkel with a tour company (boat holds 7) and if we choose this I can add 1 more couple for $65/pp

CHEERS!

Cant wait....Kelly