What Ship/Cruiseline would you recommend for New England/Canada?

pianolady99

What ship/cruiseline would you recommend for New England/Canada? We are considering a cruise to New England/Canada for the fall of 2007 and would very much appreciate any input that you can give to us. We are interested in your opinions regarding the itineraries as well as the overall ambience of the cruise ship itself, including the cuisine.

We just returned from a trip to Bermuda this month on the NCL Crown, and although we very much enjoyed Bermuda, we are looking for a different kind of cruise experience than we had on NCL.

Thanks in advance for your input!:)

• 2 weeks later...

We took our first cruise 5 years ago - on the Golden Princess rount trip from NY to Canada/New England. What a thrill it was. We didn't hit the fall foliage at it's peak, but it didn't matter. We were so impressed with cruising (both in our 50s and traveled the world in the military) and sitting on our balcony sipping champagne as we left NYC was the beginning of a wonderful adventure.

We just finished our third cruise earlier this year and we are going to book the Crown Princess for Sep/Oct 2007 for Canada/New England one more time - for our 35th anniversary. So we'll be there around the same time you plan to go.

We have only been on Princess, and only in a mini-suite, so I can't compare to other ships/cabins. Obviously we loved Princess so I'm hesitent to change. I prefer a quieter experience, a bit more subdued than some I've heard about, and really wouldn't care for a ship full of younger kids. To us, for the price, Princess was elegant enough, the service was wonderful, and we enjoyed it all.

I'm sure others will the same thing about other lines as well - no matter what line you choose you'll have a great experience!

I am also considering a New England/Canada cruise - and have decided on the Masdam - it goes Montreal to Boston (and reverse) -- it is quite port intensive -- I suggest you look at some of the roll calls for Masdam (HAL ship) and read some of their reviews to see if this might be something you would enjoy.

Good luck and be sure to let us know what you decide!

As i said in my prior post we have only sailed on Princess up to now. Looking at the cruise on the HAL Masdam it looks like a cabin similar to the Princess mini-suite would be about $600+ a person more. Can you tell me what makes the Masdam worth the extra cost? Thanks.

The minisuites on maasdam are categories A,AA, B, BB, and BC. They have whirlpool tubs and are 284 sq ft. They have the new euro style matresses, flat screen TVs, DVD players and free loaner movies, personalized stationary and many other amenities.

What I like about HAL is the service and the attitudes of the Filipino and Indonesian crew members. It is truly personalized service.

The difference between HAL and Princess is that HAL has the traditional ocean-liner feel as opposed to the large resort atmosphere.

The ships are smaller and never feel crowded as the passenger to space ratio is about the best afloat.

Maasdam is an "S" class ship approx 720 feet in length so the walking is very easy for folks who have mobility issues.

I know that HAL and Princess are under the Carnival umbrella but in comparison, HAL is probably closer to celebrity than Princess in comfort level.

Hope this helps,

GN

We are interested in a SUMMER cruise (07) to New England/Canada. I'm sure having a hard time finding much to choose from. We can't go late August, or even in June due to hubby's business and school. We are hoping to find something for late July but there's not much out there. Are we looking too early? Seems like HAL doesn't offer anything in peak summer months and the only ones we find on Carnival are 4-5 days and we wanted a week. Anybody with any suggestions? thanks!!

my husband and I did royal last year on the Enchantment of the seas from Boston. We flew from Florida to Boston, took the hotel shuttle to the hotel (holiday Inn). Spent the night touring Boston, used the subway system which was a blast.

The next morning we took a cab to Black Falcon Pier. Our cruise was to Bar Harbor, Portland, Halifax and St. Johns NB, We would do this trip in a heartbeat again. We went in Sept., and only saw one lonely tree foliage!

We did a whale watching tour which was awesome, but a word of caution... dress warm! It's about 30 degrees cooler our there than on land, plus the wind in your face.

We did many historical markers like forts and cannons, etc., lighthouse tours and walking. Oh and for lobster lovers'' McDonalds has McLobster rolls!

I have tons of pictures.. email me at sasysutler@aol.com

54 days till Nassau cruise

We chose the Maasdam last fall due to the itinerary. Not many ships begin in Montreal as they are too large. We flew in to Montreal and stayed 3 days in Old Town. It was wonderful! It was also a 11 cruise rather than just a week and went from Montreal to Norfolk. It included 2 days in Quebec which was also a plus. The ports were great! It was port intensive. We went Oct 16 which was a little late, but we actually hit peak leaf season! The Maasdam is an older HAL ship and I was a little concerned about that, but it was very well kept and we very much enjoyed the cruise. The ship was updated extensively this past spring so should be very nice! Wish we were going again! The service was excellent!

Did the Golden Princess fall cruise last year. Had an inside cabin and used all the public rooms during the days we were cruising. Since you are cruising up and down the east coast, why spend the $$$ on your cabin (unless that is part of your trip experience). Use those $$$ for all the tours you can take in the ports of call. Enjoyed the service and the menus and watching us leave port from the disco lounge on the tip top of the boat. Happy sailing.

We did a mini suite on the Golden for the cruise 5 years ago - our first, so I didn't know what to expect. I understand the comment about saving the money on a cabin but we really enjoyed the mini and it helped make the cruise. We enjoyed being on our balcony sipping champagne and eating chocolate dipped strawberries as we left New York Harbor, and several of the other beautiful ports. We did decide to go up to the disco when we were leaving Boston Harbor which was also magnificent.

There are lots of other reasons we enjoyed the mini - and we've been in one on all 3 of our cruises now. We probably have one or two more cruises we'll do (Canada/New England again in 2007 and a full transit Panama Canal cruise shortly after that) - so we want to make them special and comfortable.

But if I had to choose between the mini and not cruising I'd opt for an inside in a minute :-)

The Veendam, a little newer than Maasdam will also be doing this cruise in the late summer fall 2007. I believe she is a similar size and structure. I have been very happy with HAL, but also with RCCL . If you have the 10 days, do the HAL, perhaps if you have 7 you would prefer the RCCL. It is usually one of their newest ships. Celebrity also sails this route and does some overnight stops. They had an excellent price this year on the late cruise.

I will be interested in hearing what you pick as we are also trying to decide. I am taking a Dec HAL cruise to the Mex Riviera and Sea of Cortez so may book it during that cruise. The colors are lovely in NE and Canada in the fall, but they can vary year to year and week to week. Probably the most reasonable and comfortable time would be early September, but you won't see much color except perhaps in Canada.

Fall Folliage Weekend is Oct 7 - 9. It coincides with Canadian Thanksgiving. Before that, you would be too soon for the colors. I recommend a cruise that goes to Bar Harbor over Portland, ME. Take a trip to Acadia National Park. It is glorious. I am glad to read that McDonald's still has lobster rolls in Maine. They are a real treat and we actually preferred theirs to the more local ones. There is a wonderful restaurant in the middle of Acadia that has the most amazing lobster stew, not bisque. Eat that lobster cheap when you can! Enjoy New England. Make sure to see Boston on your trip also. You can walk the historic stuff on your own. Most sites are right in the downtown very close to each other. Try the subway for a cheap trip to other parts of Boston. We just took HAL to Alaska and enjoyed it. Have not been on Princess in a while and have not cruised New England, just driven it.

We're booked for a New England to Canada cruise on the Crystal Symphony, departing New York Sept. 28, 2006. We have sailed on the Crystal Harmony in 2004 through the Panama Canal and Alaska in 2005. We prefer to cruise with this line because the service is impecable and since we like to cruise during the fall the passengers are all adults of various ages, no boistrous noises, just a nice relaxing time. The Crystal line tends to cater to adults more so than children with a couple of formal and semi-formal nights depending on the length of the cruise, but there are many casual nights as well. This cruise starts in New York, then on to Newport, RI, Boston, Bar Harbor, ME, Halifax, NS, La Baie De Ha Ha, Quebec and Montreal, a total of 11 days for a cost of about $320 per person, per day. Check them out, you might end up being "Crystalized" as we have.

Robbi

I agree with Robbi. I am on the itinerary following the one she is on. Crystal is a superb line. While the fares are higher than HAL and Celebrity, As a luxury cruise line, Crystal is a step above those lines in many ways but you do pay for it. I have been on 3 Crystal cruises and feel they excel in so many ways and feel I get value for my money. We are all so fortunate to have so many cruising choices. Best of luck with your decision.

Nancy

Hello PianoLady99,

We were on the Sea Princess in October 2005 to Canada/New England and had wonderful time. The Princess line is our favorite. However, in October 2007 we are going on the NCL Dawn to Canada/New England. One reason is they are going round trip New York and also stopping in Newfoundland. Princess is not stopping there in 2006 like they did in 2006, not sure about their 2007 itinerary. We had been very disappointed in NCL until we cruised on the Dawn in 2004. She is a very nice ship. Princess still has a better set up for buffet service, but the Dawn had some nice alternative dining choices.

The stops in Canada were wonderful. The people we so friendly and our excursions were very interesting.

Good luck.

Hi I'dratherbeatsea,

We will be in your area the beginning of October this year. We are going on another Cruise West cruise out of Seattle. We have been up there about 4 times and really enjoy it. It is so beautiful and the people have always been so nice.

Archived