What to do in Sydney ?

Here are my notes from a previous post:

It is very frustrating that ships will not stay in Sydney long enough for people to drive around the Cabot Trail. However they don't so you really have two options for a great day.

One is to go to Baddeck and Iona and renting a car is the best way to do this.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/grahambell/index.aspx

http://museum.gov.ns.ca/hv/en/home/default.aspx

http://museum.gov.ns.ca/hv/en/home/default.aspx

The second is to go to Fortress Louisbourg. Renting a car also works for this, and depending upon the time you are in port and how long you spend at Louisbourg, you may also have time to go to the Glace Bay Miner's Museum, where you can be taken down into an old coal mine and learn about the life of a miner from a retired coal miner.

http://www.minersmuseum.com/mine_tour.htm

Louisbourg is only fully open from June 15 to October 15 so keep that in mind. When it is open, you are immersed into the life of the fortified town in the year 1744, with live animators (people playing the roles of actual people) and restaurants, pubs, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1401285

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1450281

We used City Wide Taxi in Sydney. Met us as we exited the ship with sign. Kent was our driver. He was excellent. His van held 7 people; he took us to Louisbourg waited and then took us back to the ship. He even stopped twice so we could get coffee from Tim Hortons. I highly recommend him. We spoke directly to him before the trip.

We were on a Princess cruise which arrived at 1:00 pm. You can imagine the mad dash to get off. While there are taxis available all were gone by the time we got out. But, Kent was there waiting for us.

The cost for the taxi and admission was less that the ship's tour and we able to stay longer at the fort.

Another post about a taxi service in Sydney: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154967-i326-k4847897-Tours_from_Cruise_Ships_at_Sydney_Port-Nova_Scotia.html#36180250 . . . I was on the Massdam from Montreal to Boston and was in Sydney on June 27, 2012. In Tom's Port Guides he mentioned Don Blackwood of Blackwood Tours. I contacted and worked out all details of our tour via email at donblackwood@seascape.ns.ca. He was an excellent tour guide. As former director of Sydney Tourism for 20 years, he was very knowledgable. He was willing to stop anytime we asked. He took us to Highland Village, had lunch at the Bell Buoy Restuarant and then stopped at the Gaelic College. We were greeted by a bagpiper and they had a wonderful gift shop. He also drove us around the town of Sydney. Don's van was clean and smoke free. He charged us $80 per person. We were with him for 5+ hours. Highly recommend him. You won't be disappointed, because you can make your tour what you want. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=828325&page=4

Toms Port guides (google them) are excellent, but not perfect. The ferry he mentions was closed a few years ago for repairs, but runs fine now.

There are several car rental companies in Sydney. Enterprise will pick you up at the pier. Others may do the same.

Here are some maps of possible routes:

http://g.co/maps/9trmp

http://*******/maps/OGuG8

If you want a better taste of the Cabot Trail than what the ship's tour will give you take this route out and back. However, it takes five hours without stopping and you may not have time.

http://*******/maps/8GHRw

Just a history note for Fortress Louisbourg. It has historical significance to New England. The first attack and defeat of Louisbourg was completed using mostly New England soldiers. There were a number of reasons why New England troops would attack Louisbourg but one of them had to do with New England fishermen being denied by the French the use of the beaches on Cape Breton to dry their catch before returning home. There is a cemetery at Louisbourg with New England war dead. Any visitor to Sydney with an interest in history will find the Fortress very interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Louisbourg_(1745)

• 5 months later...

I did the coal mine and really enjoyed it - it was about a 45 minute bus ride as I recall, and we made another stop at the old city hall and city museum.

Since my Dad and uncles were coal miners, this tour was especially interesting to me, but I think everyone would be quite surprised how living the life of a coal miner was (not fun by the way).

DaveOKC

We also did the coal mine.

We berthed at the Sydney Marine Terminal located at the corner of York and Esplanade. You are in town. There really isn't much of note in the town itself. You've got to get out of town. Fortunately, they have good local bus service. We set our sights on The Miners' Museum (a AAA Gem) located in nearby Glace Bay. They are open 10:00am - 6:00pm and costs $6 pp + Mine Tour $6 pp. The bus stop is about 4 blocks from the pier. Take Esplanade to Dorchester to George. Wait at the glass-enclosed bus stop on Dorchester just short of George Street. Take the #1 Glace Bay bus at 9:00am. It may arrive early but it will wait and leave on the hour. The ride takes about 50 minutes. Once you arrive in Glace Bay, get off on Commercial (between Marconi and York, across the street from Tim Hortons). Walk downhill on Commercial St. Commercial becomes South after you cross over a stream. Continue on South St and turn left at Birkley St. The museum will be straight ahead, about 2 blocks. (Total walk is 1.1 km, which will take you about 20 minutes). You will see occasional signage.

The Miners' Museum has a movie and exhibits on coal mining, methods, tools, and history. The real value in visiting the museum is the tour, led by retired coal miners who share with you their coal mining experiences. You go underground into a 1932 'room and pillar' coal mine where you will see coal-lined walls and learn from a true insider about the mining methods and working conditions. He will share his stories with you as you enter one tunnel after another. The tour is advertised to last 20 minutes. Our 10-person tour lasted at least an hour. Highly recommended!

Catch the return bus on Marconi Street, near where you arrived, at Noon or 1:00pm (and arrive 1 hour later). If you get back to the bus stop a little early, stop in at Tim Hortons for a fresh Krispy Kreme-style doughnut or muffin, and coffee or hot chocolate.

What to do in 5 Canadian Ports: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/constellation.html

• 2 weeks later...
I did the coal mine and really enjoyed it - it was about a 45 minute bus ride as I recall, and we made another stop at the old city hall and city museum.

Since my Dad and uncles were coal miners, this tour was especially interesting to me, but I think everyone would be quite surprised how living the life of a coal miner was (not fun by the way).

DaveOKC

My dad and grandfather and many uncles worked that mine in Glacé Bay. We were able to go to the mines when we were last in Glace Bay and I highly recommend the tour. We moved to the US in 1959 because they shut the mine down and ther was no more work. I am returning on a cruise a year from May. It will be bittersweet for me.

• 6 months later...
We also did the coal mine.

We berthed at the Sydney Marine Terminal located at the corner of York and Esplanade. You are in town. There really isn't much of note in the town itself. You've got to get out of town. Fortunately, they have good local bus service. We set our sights on The Miners' Museum (a AAA Gem) located in nearby Glace Bay. They are open 10:00am - 6:00pm and costs $6 pp + Mine Tour $6 pp. The bus stop is about 4 blocks from the pier. Take Esplanade to Dorchester to George. Wait at the glass-enclosed bus stop on Dorchester just short of George Street. Take the #1 Glace Bay bus at 9:00am. It may arrive early but it will wait and leave on the hour. The ride takes about 50 minutes. Once you arrive in Glace Bay, get off on Commercial (between Marconi and York, across the street from Tim Hortons). Walk downhill on Commercial St. Commercial becomes South after you cross over a stream. Continue on South St and turn left at Birkley St. The museum will be straight ahead, about 2 blocks. (Total walk is 1.1 km, which will take you about 20 minutes). You will see occasional signage.

The Miners' Museum has a movie and exhibits on coal mining, methods, tools, and history. The real value in visiting the museum is the tour, led by retired coal miners who share with you their coal mining experiences. You go underground into a 1932 'room and pillar' coal mine where you will see coal-lined walls and learn from a true insider about the mining methods and working conditions. He will share his stories with you as you enter one tunnel after another. The tour is advertised to last 20 minutes. Our 10-person tour lasted at least an hour. Highly recommended!

Catch the return bus on Marconi Street, near where you arrived, at Noon or 1:00pm (and arrive 1 hour later). If you get back to the bus stop a little early, stop in at Tim Hortons for a fresh Krispy Kreme-style doughnut or muffin, and coffee or hot chocolate.

What to do in 5 Canadian Ports: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/constellation.html

Where did you find information for local bus service from Sydney.

I'd like to go to the Highland Village Museum in Iona. Do you know if there is a bus from Sydney to Iona?

Hi...Our cruise sails to Sydney along with Saint John and Halifax. We have not been to Sydney before. Any suggestions on what excursion to do? Or can we just walk around the port? Thanks!

Just get out of town as fast as you can. There is basically NOTHING to do in Sydney itself. A nice stroll, a few house/museums, but it is all pretty basic things. You need to get out of town and see what there is in the surrounding areas.

One point though, if you do rent a car, get there as early as possible as all the rental places over book. We were there in July of this year and saw 3 couple turned away even though they has reservations. If you tell them you are picking up your car at 9:00, be there at 9:00. By 9:30 that car might be gone.

Cheers

Len

• 2 weeks later...

I am from Sydney. It is very sad to see so many talking about the lack of anything interesting in Sydney itself. If you want to see Cape Breton's beauty you will need to get out of town. However in town there are many highlights.

The new Open Hearth park just opened. It is a 10 minute walk from the Port and it is loaded with history. The park sits on top of the old Tar Ponds that claimed international news some years ago because of their toxicity. The park is gorgeous however, as an old resident of Sydney, it was very unsettling to walk on top of what I knew used to be there. There is also a wonderful boardwalk just steps away from the terminal that stretches down the harbour front. They are continuing to work on it to make it even longer. Just up the street with a 5 minute walk is Governer's Pub. It is a two story-two tiered patio restaurant with some of the best Fish n Chips that you can buy.

If you leave Sydney there are the obvious choices of the Miner's museum as well as Fortress Louisbourg, however to get to Louisbourg you pass right by the Mira River. This is my all time favourite place in the world. Some of you may know the song "Out on the Mira". Right next to the Fort is one of the top beaches I have ever been to...and look at my tag line.. I've been to some pretty fantastic beaches. If you have a warm sunny day and you are going to the Fort, ask your driver to take you to Kennington Cove. Ask specifically for Beach #2 not #1. It is amazing! Huge waves, clean, clear and the photography is amazing. Also in Louisbourg is the Lighthouse Drive that leads to a wonderful lighthouse with a gorgeous walking trail along the sea. Beautiful.

You can take a drive to Baddeck. Crossing the Seal Island Bridge is an experience on its own. Baddeck is a wonderful tourist area that houses the Alexendar Graham Bell Museum, tons of tourist shops and restaurants.

So ... don't judge a book by it's cover. Sydney was hit drastically when the Steel Plant closed and the Mining industry took a huge hit. It is trying very hard to recover.

I am from Sydney. It is very sad to see so many talking about the lack of anything interesting in Sydney itself. If you want to see Cape Breton's beauty you will need to get out of town. However in town there are many highlights.

The new Open Hearth park just opened. It is a 10 minute walk from the Port and it is loaded with history. The park sits on top of the old Tar Ponds that claimed international news some years ago because of their toxicity. The park is gorgeous however, as an old resident of Sydney, it was very unsettling to walk on top of what I knew used to be there. There is also a wonderful boardwalk just steps away from the terminal that stretches down the harbour front. They are continuing to work on it to make it even longer. Just up the street with a 5 minute walk is Governer's Pub. It is a two story-two tiered patio restaurant with some of the best Fish n Chips that you can buy.

If you leave Sydney there are the obvious choices of the Miner's museum as well as Fortress Louisbourg, however to get to Louisbourg you pass right by the Mira River. This is my all time favourite place in the world. Some of you may know the song "Out on the Mira". Right next to the Fort is one of the top beaches I have ever been to...and look at my tag line.. I've been to some pretty fantastic beaches. If you have a warm sunny day and you are going to the Fort, ask your driver to take you to Kennington Cove. Ask specifically for Beach #2 not #1. It is amazing! Huge waves, clean, clear and the photography is amazing. Also in Louisbourg is the Lighthouse Drive that leads to a wonderful lighthouse with a gorgeous walking trail along the sea. Beautiful.

You can take a drive to Baddeck. Crossing the Seal Island Bridge is an experience on its own. Baddeck is a wonderful tourist area that houses the Alexendar Graham Bell Museum, tons of tourist shops and restaurants.

So ... don't judge a book by it's cover. Sydney was hit drastically when the Steel Plant closed and the Mining industry took a huge hit. It is trying very hard to recover.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I was in Sydney 14 years ago and found it to be a lovely small town. The residents were most welcoming, friendly, and made my day memorable. My day spent entirely in town was enjoyable.

I will be returning in a few weeks and hope to see some of the surrounding area.

Any suggestions for a route from Sydney that would include time at Highland Village outdoor Museum and complex in Iona with time to enjoy the Bras d'Or area, scenery, and points of interest along the way. Given my time frame of approx. 6 1/2 hours, round trip Sydney, would including Baddeck (perhaps Bell Museum) be too ambitious? Suggestions for points of interest along the way would be appreciated -- enjoy nature and learning about the area and its culture. Anything related to First Nations would be of interest.

That's a huge list to fit in lol. A drive to Baddeck and back would cover most of what you want to see. No need to worry about routes as there is really only one way to get there. Sydney has an urban reserve which is a model for any urban reserve in North America. It is extremely profitable and well run. You would want to leave asap if you want to fit in picture taking, lunch in Baddeck and the return drive. You will drive right by the Highland Village.

We were in Sydney last week, and three other times, as we did two b-2-b 14 day cruises from Boston to Quebec. We rented a car each time. Both Enterprise and Budget/Avis will pick you up at the port.

The first day we drove to Baddeck and toured the Alexander Bell Museum. It is a pretty drive. The second time we did the Miners Museum tour, which was $27.50 for the two of us. It was an interesting tour led by a retired miner who had worked the mine. Just be sure your back is in good shape since in areas the ceiling is either 5 feet or 4 feet.

We also toured the fort and found it interesting, but enjoyed the museum more. We were disappointed in driving the Cabot Trail. The scenery is nice, but most places on the trail the trees block the view. Also, you will not have too much time to do a whole lot of the trail.

We also explored several of the surrounding towns and found some interesting local museums that we enjoyed and that were more interesting because of being able to talk to the locals since the museums are largely undiscovered. There are good, small museums in Glace Bay, Sydney Mines and Whitney Pier (a suburb of Sydney).

Archived