Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

The Pandas coming home with our Willie. Did you see them?

Pandas

Yes, l saw them :rolleyes:

I see the Dorchester got hit last night for a few bob....last time l stayed there were more security bods than guests, so rather surprising!

Been a frustrating day here, the two gardeners in ..one with a hernia and the other with a bad back....perhaps l should start looking for some younger models who drink less tea!!

Food wise, it's been a crap week with on the go stuff....your offerings look good again Jeff ....

S:)

Yes, l saw them :rolleyes:

I see the Dorchester got hit last night for a few bob....last time l stayed there were more security bods than guests, so rather surprising!

Been a frustrating day here, the two gardeners in ..one with a hernia and the other with a bad back....perhaps l should start looking for some younger models who drink less tea!!

Food wise, it's been a crap week with on the go stuff....your offerings look good again Jeff ....

Hi Sophia .... get some new gardeners! Wifey does our gardening.

This is really odd, but we've been eating my home made caramel popcorn every might - and whilst I've cut down the carbs a little over the last week or so - we're both losing weight and I can't make any sense in it. I'm using virgin coconut oil when making the caramel popcorn and it is wonderful but I'm at my lowest weight for some time - still drinking the same amount as normal - and wonder whether the popcorn has some magical properties. :confused:

Looks like a sunny one today!

Hi Sophia .... get some new gardeners! Wifey does our gardening.

This is really odd, but we've been eating my home made caramel popcorn every might - and whilst I've cut down the carbs a little over the last week or so - we're both losing weight and I can't make any sense in it. I'm using virgin coconut oil when making the caramel popcorn and it is wonderful but I'm at my lowest weight for some time - still drinking the same amount as normal - and wonder whether the popcorn has some magical properties. :confused:

Looks like a sunny one today!

Good Morning!

That is odd how you're losing the weight, have you researched 'popcorn' to see if there's an answer somewhere.....

I wish l liked gardening but l don't and l have almost three acres here to keep up....hence the gardeners! One of them will be in later to attack the paddocks before they get any worse....farmer down the lane has offered to put some sheep in for me and I'm thinking that may be a good idea right now!

Basic bangers and mash today with corn, nothing very taxing as it's a pretty warm day here...l miss the BBQ!

Good Morning!

That is odd how you're losing the weight, have you researched 'popcorn' to see if there's an answer somewhere.....

I wish l liked gardening but l don't and l have almost three acres here to keep up....hence the gardeners! One of them will be in later to attack the paddocks before they get any worse....farmer down the lane has offered to put some sheep in for me and I'm thinking that may be a good idea right now!

Basic bangers and mash today with corn, nothing very taxing as it's a pretty warm day here...l miss the BBQ!

S.

I do so hope you are not letting him down (he will be keeping an eye on you .... ;) ) by not eating properly. He would NOT approve. Don't let him down Sophia Gal ..... remember it is "the same procedure as usual"!

Today I just assembled. Pork balls, with gnocci in a pepper and pepperoni sauce with chilli and some fresh basil from the window box with our normal house rose. To be honest it was wonderful and makes you realise how much you can do by assembling quickly and thoughfully from bought in stuff and not faffing around ...........

43758521-A558-47EC-8728-2918337A5022_zpsu0xuhiwg.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Jeff, I know you enjoy your Rose.

We had a bottle of Chateau Miraval Pink Floyd for lunch at the Royal Riviera and it was fantastic. Have you heard of a company called Millesima who export wines from France ? They seem to be the main people to buy it from in Ireland.

I don't know much about them.

I was surprised it was so good as I would have been dubious about so called 'celebrity' wine.

We loved dining in Villefranche, amazing atmosphere. We ate in L'Oursin Bleu which was lovely. The hotel restaurant was outstanding.

Really miss the tomatoes, at home they taste of water.

Are you going to Singapore soon?

Jeff, I know you enjoy your Rose.

We had a bottle of Chateau Miraval Pink Floyd for lunch at the Royal Riviera and it was fantastic. Have you heard of a company called Millesima who export wines from France ? They seem to be the main people to buy it from in Ireland.

I don't know much about them.

I was surprised it was so good as I would have been dubious about so called 'celebrity' wine.

We loved dining in Villefranche, amazing atmosphere. We ate in L'Oursin Bleu which was lovely. The hotel restaurant was outstanding.

Really miss the tomatoes, at home they taste of water.

Are you going to Singapore soon?

Bonjour Sakaara, Ça va? :)

If you wandered further down from Orsin you would have passed Ballugar and we were the two small windows on the left hand side wih the door you can just about see for a while ... the back wall was the rock within the appartment ....... but the noise when Bullugar opened .... well need I say more ... central Nice was quieter ... .... :eek:

940_9841___opt.jpg

In my view, you should never try to import Rose through these people to recreate the taste you had when you were down there. It never works. I've found that you need to buy D'oc wine when at home that is very cheap and almost white and very, very dry. The cheaper, the dryer, the lighter the more like those long days you enjoyed. If however you see Ott ... that is worth a try but it is overpriced. If you buy dark and it says "fruity" it will be syrupy and like a sherry. Ghastly. Just buy very light and very cheap and freeze.

I'm currently depserate to find a trip after the F1 to Singapore for a month or so ..... but we have a month booked from late January through February 2015. She sadly only travel F so I'm trying to find redemptions and checking hourly .... please pray for the redemption God to shine upon us ...

Please post about your trip. All trivia welcomed.

:)

Hi Jeff,

I read that Sloop was one of Michael Winner's favourites and asked the concierge but he told me to avoid it. Please let me know why you loved it?

You reminded me of one of my visits ....

Well, he might be a bad critic but he has had a rather strange effect on my eating habits. Be patient!

I enjoy going to a wonderful small restaurant in St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat that I'll protect by not mentioning it's name. I've been taking Mrs UK1 there for many years roughly three or four times a year. Madame Patron is a particularly grumpy lady who feigns not to speak English and early on in our relationship I felt - as one days - that I wanted to win her over. A challenge - I'm sure many understand.

I liked her because her husband could cook and we shared no common language but we did share a tremendous appreciation of his stock of Armagnac and Calvados - a passion that required no words. And so my Franglais developed. "Une table for zvie por favore a midi" would be a typical attempt.

After some years she melted a bit and would eventually smile when I arrived. Alright after many years. She'd then talk to me in Franglais. After a few years of these exchanges a picture of Michael Winner with Andrew Lloyd Webber appeared on her door. It was a Sunday Times review of which she was clearly very proud and some of the British boat people from the Cap and Beaulieu-Sur-Mer (Winner use to stay at La Reserve - but I understand now prefers the Metropole on account of the sandwich costs) would visit as a result of the article. Very loud rich brits.

On one visit, perhaps the light was poor, perhaps it was the atmosphere, but I assure you the question was totally unjustified, Madame Patron came up to me and said "Mr UK1 forgeev my question, but are you related to monsieur Winner?".

I have to say in mitigation it had been a long day and it was someway through lunch and I do sometimes let my humour respond before the brain and I heard coming out of my mouth before I could snatch the words back "Uncle Michael - how did you know?!" Mrs UK1 nearly choked - but a great big smile spread across Madam Patron's face. "He has done us aome good. Have a glass of Ott Rose!".

I couldn't say no. And whilst I feel a twinge of guilt I'll always be thankful to my Uncle.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

S.

I do so hope you are not letting him down (he will be keeping an eye on you .... ;) ) by not eating properly. He would NOT approve. Don't let him down Sophia Gal ..... remember it is "the same procedure as usual"!

Today I just assembled. Pork balls, with gnocci in a pepper and pepperoni sauce with chilli and some fresh basil from the window box with our normal house rose. To be honest it was wonderful and makes you realise how much you can do by assembling quickly and thoughfully from bought in stuff and not faffing around ...........

>2918337A5022_zpsu0xuhiwg.jpg

Do not worry ....l won't starve! ;) I'm actually saving myself for next week when l visit the children in Chester and can indulge with Simon Radley at my home from home! :D

Your lunch once again looked scrumptious.....my local butcher makes the most tasty pork and apple burgers so that's on menu for tomorrow. Thinking of trying out a new local gastro pub on Saturday to treat Pater for FD.

Jeff you are incorrigible! Wish I could have seen that!

Have you been back since? The poor woman giving you her condolences on your poor uncle! Unforgettable, fantastic dinner party stories.

Regards

That post is an old post on FlyerTalk when Uncle Michael was still very much alive and fighting battles with BA ...

I do go back several times a year ... and take others back with me for long lunches and she definitely treats me differently now. There are further stories about Uncle Michael ... but those are a lot funnier and involve Uncle Michael himself at The Sandy Lane ... but certainly not for today .....;)

Did you walk past David Niven's house? Some of the posts I listed on the other thread might have some info for you if you go back there again. One of my favourite places for breakfast is in Beaulieu just opposite the market. Happy days.

:)

Yes, we drooled all the way past David Niven's house to the Port. I believe Keith Richards has stayed at one of the large villas next to the Royal Riviera.

What is the name of your little breakfast place? We had torrential rain on the day we walked to Beaulieu so we didn't stay long.

I have heard that The African Queen in Beaulieu was good, by American guests in our bar. It was quite funny actually because it was about 1 am and we were the only 2 drinking in the bar when we were joined by another couple.

The Differences between Europeans and Americans… They Arrive in and immediately start by asking "What ya do for fun around here?" well I had just been invited around the back of the bar for a lesson in how to make my own cocktail before they came in and we were having great fun with the bar staff.

It turned out that this guy knew people we know as he spent a lot of time in Dublin. Crazy really.

Yes, we drooled all the way past David Niven's house to the Port. I believe Keith Richards has stayed at one of the large villas next to the Royal Riviera.

What is the name of your little breakfast place? We had torrential rain on the day we walked to Beaulieu so we didn't stay long.

I have heard that The African Queen in Beaulieu was good, by American guests in our bar. It was quite funny actually because it was about 1 am and we were the only 2 drinking in the bar when we were joined by another couple.

The Differences between Europeans and Americans… They Arrive in and immediately start by asking "What ya do for fun around here?" well I had just been invited around the back of the bar for a lesson in how to make my own cocktail before they came in and we were having great fun with the bar staff.

It turned out that this guy knew people we know as he spent a lot of time in Dublin. Crazy really.

Richards didn't stay that close to the Riviera. If you took the walk from Bealiueu to Villefranche (the quiet road along by the train track and then down the steps ... ) then one of the last houses before the steps with some big gates - Villa Nellcôte - overlooking the water was where the Stones rented for the "lost summer" and recorded and generally had open house ... it really was open house as many will testify .... ;)

P10701251.jpg

..... this isn't me ... but it's the gates .... it may remind you.

Dave-at-Villa-Nellcote-001.jpg

You missed nothing at all by missing the African Queen at Little Africa ... it's very touristy and visitor un-friendly. Good call.

Niven's house is now into seperate appartments ... it's not by the port ... but that walk if you come out of the hotel and walk towards Bealiue and then sharp right and take the path into St Jean.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Well the old current bun is out here in all it's glory...I'm melting!

Prawn salad on the menu with jackets and a bottle of the usual chateau plonk:rolleyes:

TA is currently working on the new singe supplement fare for me, I'll know more on Monday and will post on the main thread if and when l get a result!

Hope one and all are enjoying this glorious weather.....S :)

Jeff, do you fancy talking to me about how to maximise reward benefits on Avios etc? I had a look at Flyertalk but it's so confusing for a newbie.

Here's what we have :

Amex Platinum card

BA/Amex card

Tesco card - we don't shop at Tesco but we do buy most of our petrol there, including for our business users. Petrol spend is approx £300 a week, I think my husband charges all petrol to the BA/Amex card.

We're currently Bronze BA EC but we're about to lose that and revert to Blue :(

I think we've only used the companion ticket once in the last 7 years - my husband deals with all the Amex cards and trying to get any sense out of him when I ask him questions about them is like talking to one of the Friesians in the field next door.

Basically I know we're not making the most of what we have, and I want to do more travelling !

Jeff, do you fancy talking to me about how to maximise reward benefits on Avios etc? I had a look at Flyertalk but it's so confusing for a newbie.

Here's what we have :

Amex Platinum card

BA/Amex card

Tesco card - we don't shop at Tesco but we do buy most of our petrol there, including for our business users. Petrol spend is approx £300 a week, I think my husband charges all petrol to the BA/Amex card.

I think we've only used the companion ticket once in the last 7 years - my husband deals with all the Amex cards and trying to get any sense out of him

when I ask him questions about them is like talking to one of the Friesians in the field next door.

Basically I know we're not making the most of what we have, and I want to do more travelling !

I'm also interested in learning more about this as a complete novice to these rewards!

Happy to .... so ....:)

let's start at the very beginning

a very good place to start

when you read you begin with abc

when you sing you begin with do re mi..........

The starting point has to be ... what do you plan to use the points for?

The reason why I ask is because what strategies makes economic sense for using miles in long-haul First does not make necessarily sense for Euro Savers tickets.

From the decision on where you hope and plan to use the points conclude a value for the points TO YOU, ie not what the tickets would cost but what you would pay for them. So for example in my case we have at least two return trips to Singapore each year in F. These cost 210,000 miles plus around £1200 in fees. If you decide that TO YOU that the two F flights are worth £6,300 plus £1,200 ie £7,500 per pair then if you were to pay cash for miles then if each were less than 3p then you'd be making cash. As it happens fully flex F tickets to Singapore can cost up to £28k per pair .... but that isn't the value to us. Get the drift? If so do the calc and let me know what you think the miles are worth to you. If you base the desicion on published fairs it is a bit delusional if you were never likely to pay that fare. I currently have around 2m BA Avios which will last me a few years.

Secondly, as initial background reading (I don't think I'm allowed on TOS to put links) but if you google for "head for points beginners guide" you'll land at a good first set of pointers. Also follow Rob's daily blog. He posts on FT under the name of Rffles and we have been FT chums for years and earned millions of miles helping each other.

Also ... as a detail .. open a topcashback account in both your own and your husbands name. This allows you to gain cashback but more importantly target your cash to a Tesco account and then on to BA. So for example £10 cash back becomes 2400 BA miles. Bizarrely you can earn cashback for buying Tesco wine which you then funnel back to Tesco and convert to BA Avios. Some wine of special offers and with 1000 point codes effectively become less than free.

Can you also specify which BA Amex Card you have. One takes £10k to trigger the 241 that has a two year life (annual fee £150) the other is free but has a useless 1 year 241 triggered at £15000. Do both of you have seperate cards and could you trigger two 241s per year?

Also keep an eye on SPG Amex credit cards as they give a 20k SPG joining bonus that converts to 25k Avios and sometimes 31250 when BA have an offer. Two of you could earn 62500 BA miles annualy on those if you churn carefully.

Have a bit of a read and we'll carry on from there. Happy to help get you going.

How does this sound as a starter?

Hope others chip in. :)

Thanks Jeff, quite a bit to think about there.

Firstly, I can't (won't!) travel on a flight longer than 4 hours in economy. Later this year we'll be doing our first flight (paid for :eek:) in F for several years. However, I'm more than happy travelling CW. Because it's been so long since I flew in F I'm not sure if the difference in the fares is worth it to me, but as I said, it's been years so I'll be able to form a new opinion later this year.

BA is usually our first choice for longhaul flights. So it seems that our thinking is similar to yours, we're happy to spend our Avios on longhaul CW/F flights, that's the most valuable way to spend them for us.

Short haul is a bit different, especially keeping in mind that we live in the frozen north. Our closest airport of any size is Manchester. Ten years ago, BA had a great choice of routes direct, but no longer flies from there shorthaul, except to Aberdeen and the LHR route. Manchester has become a low cost airline airport in the main. There's a fairly good choice of shorthaul destinations, and for this reason we're reluctant to fly to connect at LHR/LGW for shorter European flights.

Secondly, the BA Amex card is the one that gives us companion tickets valid for two years. But they're still going unused. I don't have that card so I use Amex Platinum and a Tesco Clubcard credit card whenever I can instead. I think Amex Platinum has points that can be converted to Avios... I don't think I would trigger the £10k spend if I had the BA card.

I've found the site you referred to, it's going to be very helpful because it's very relevant to UK readers, the US sites I've found previously weren't appropriate.

Will go to topcashback now and read up. There's so much involved in all of this it's like a full time occupation trying to get one's head round it!

Lunch today is poached chicken breast and new potato salad. No wine. ;)

Thanks Jeff, quite a bit to think about there.

Firstly, I can't (won't!) travel on a flight longer than 4 hours in economy. Later this year we'll be doing our first flight (paid for :eek:) in F for several years. However, I'm more than happy travelling CW. Because it's been so long since I flew in F I'm not sure if the difference in the fares is worth it to me, but as I said, it's been years so I'll be able to form a new opinion later this year.

BA is usually our first choice for longhaul flights. So it seems that our thinking is similar to yours, we're happy to spend our Avios on longhaul CW/F flights, that's the most valuable way to spend them for us.

Short haul is a bit different, especially keeping in mind that we live in the frozen north. Our closest airport of any size is Manchester. Ten years ago, BA had a great choice of routes direct, but no longer flies from there shorthaul, except to Aberdeen and the LHR route. Manchester has become a low cost airline airport in the main. There's a fairly good choice of shorthaul destinations, and for this reason we're reluctant to fly to connect at LHR/LGW for shorter European flights.

Secondly, the BA Amex card is the one that gives us companion tickets valid for two years. But they're still going unused. I don't have that card so I use Amex Platinum and a Tesco Clubcard credit card whenever I can instead. I think Amex Platinum has points that can be converted to Avios... I don't think I would trigger the £10k spend if I had the BA card.

I've found the site you referred to, it's going to be very helpful because it's very relevant to UK readers, the US sites I've found previously weren't appropriate.

Will go to topcashback now and read up. There's so much involved in all of this it's like a full time occupation trying to get one's head round it!

Lunch today is poached chicken breast and new potato salad. No wine. ;)

Just to fill in why I mention Topcashback.

Making big Avios balances is all about opportunism. Without this approach we wouldn't travel as much in the cabins and routes we do. It's worthwile.

Sometimes the Miles Gods set all the railway points to go. So if for example you keep your eyes out on Robs site and you see a 1000 Tesco voucher for say £100 worth of wine purchase. And you find a perfectly acceptable wine (like my house Rioja) that is normally (nominally) £12 per bottle but has a 50% reduction per 6 bottle case ... and then as a few weeks ago a further 25%. That means 36 bottles supposedly worth £432 being sold for £108 a supposed saving of £324. Then if you buy via Topcashback imagine it is currently 5% so that is £5. Then you have the 1000 point Tesco voucher, that is now £15.

If you post the TCB £5 back to Tesco to join your £10 and then send that to BA it becomes worth 3600 miles. If you value your miles at 3p then you have acquired £432 for £108 but then gained £108 in BA miles. So you have acquired £432 wine for free and helped (in my case) get you a chunk towards your F redemption. I think I have that right. Then there's two accounts. Get some white if you must ...

As it happens my miles may be worth to me say a minimum of 3p but I believe on average cost me around 10% of that ie £0.003 .... dwell on that for a while when thinking about F LH redemptions ... I am effectively acquiring my F LH at 10% of the value I place on it and possibly just afew percent of the full published purchasable price ........;) Redemptions are pretty much fully flexible tickets.

Today we have been eating 30 day dry aged rib eye .....

DB4C9F18-9DAB-4398-9F99-B65886A48313_zpsrceuy6vx.jpg

FCD6DFE6-EF7B-4D02-B09B-4B7071A683B3_zps1poiajtb.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Here's what we have :

Amex Platinum card

BA/Amex card

I think we've only used the companion ticket once in the last 7 years - my husband deals with all the Amex cards and trying to get any sense out of him when I ask him questions about them is like talking to one of the Friesians in the field next door.

Basically I know we're not making the most of what we have, and I want to do

more travelling !

Is it worth it with the amount of travel you do?

Great explanation Jeff, in my case it's not going to be worth it.

I use MAN for the short hail European....depending on airline!

For my forthcoming trip l was hoping to use my few Virgin air miles with money for UC return, the return being direct into MAN from BGI....nothing available but l could buy the ticket for £4600....not worth it as the UC service is very hit and miss IMHO, especially the MAN routes.

If l opted to fly back into LGW then the fare dropped to £2500.

BA came in at £1800 return in CW and £2900 for F, so a no brainer for me, even though it's London return....l can work around that!

Doubt I'll be doing more than two long haul a year if that...at my age:rolleyes:

Great explanation Jeff, in my case it's not going to be worth it.

I use MAN for the short hail European....depending on airline!

For my forthcoming trip l was hoping to use my few Virgin air miles with money for UC return, the return being direct into MAN from BGI....nothing available but l could buy the ticket for £4600....not worth it as the UC service is very hit and miss IMHO, especially the MAN routes.

If l opted to fly back into LGW then the fare dropped to £2500.

BA came in at £1800 return in CW and £2900 for F, so a no brainer for me, even though it's London return....l can work around that!

Doubt I'll be doing more than two long haul a year if that...at my age:rolleyes:

That's great. Too many people presume it's for them without doing the obvious ... the calculation! This has saved you trouble.

;)