Carnival Dream (escape from Mardi Gras Cruise 2/15) from New Orleans review w/ pics

NolaZach

So how early do we have to be on deck to get a lounger on the sides of the ship vs the pool area?

Only the Lido and Serinity always filled up, the sides of the ship and other decks always had chairs. If you just wanted to lay out, and not be by the pool, there was no problem finding chairs.

Especially on the Lanai deck (5)

11021280_10104301411538825_3374052195888493296_n.jpg?oh=6664234c687a08385fc2282262b1880d&oe=55883FC7

So one of the First things we wanted to do was check out Camp Carnival.

We picked up the information on Camp, I will use the next few posts to post the information we got from them.

If you sail a seven day on the Dream, I'm sure many of the activities will be the same.

Scan_Pic0017_zpspwmnrnvd.jpg

Scan_Pic0018_zpsol7plvhi.jpg

Only the Lido and Serinity always filled up, the sides of the ship and other decks always had chairs. If you just wanted to lay out, and not be by the pool, there was no problem finding chairs.

Especially on the Lanai deck (5)

11021280_10104301411538825_3374052195888493296_n.jpg?oh=6664234c687a08385fc2282262b1880d&oe=55883FC7

Thanks for the info. I prefer not to be on the lido deck. Too busy and noisy. One more question. I suppose it matters on the time of the day and the position of the sun, but is the lanai deck shaded most of the time or can you get sun during prime part of the day?

For us the ship was crowded but not overly so. Hennie and other crew said almost every three and four person room was at max occupancy. In fact the ship had 4,000 guests and 1,500 crew is what I heard a few times. But it's so big that you don't see everyone. Getting decent seats to shows wasn't hard, getting a spot for the dive in movie was nearly impossible. Also the towel bandits were out in force. People that lay their towel down for the entire family and then go get the buffet or walk around. I would grab two chairs for the four of us, as the kids never sat for more than two minutes.

I slowed down on the review because I was still going through pictures.

Also, Carnival did away with the comment cards in the room, I really need to single out two employees.

Gede from the MDR - Scarlet was the best waiter I have ever had, on or off ship. Very attentive, knew the kids names when seeing them around the ship (he worked as a bus boy for the lido deck as well). He knew what we liked, and would combine dishes and present them to us. I had two lobster tails and a steak on cruise elegant, and it was because he combined three dishes to do it. No $20 charge. He knew what drinks we liked and even had special requests honored. We had the option of tomato soup every night after one girl requested it. He was above and beyond. The kids miss him almost more than the ship itself.

20150221_211850_zps0b542a94.jpg

The next was Ms. Janice in the Camp Carnival, the girls loved her and begged constantly to go to camp to be with her. She also would great the girls around the ship and would tell us which times that camp wasn't doing much and which times were 'can't miss'. The girls loved camp so much, which allowed us to have more QT time.

Great employees. So many others I didn't catch their name. Like the Bulgarian waiter on the sunset pool deck. He simply wanted to be called "Hey". "When you want a drink, say HEY and I show up" He was very good and his drink recommendations were great as well, and he would also point ouch which bartenders had the heavier hand. lol

I saw complaints of the food and service in our FB group but I had no problems with service anywhere. I felt bad I couldn't give out more envelopes on the last day.

Next time I'll make better notes of the names.

We cruised on the Dream Feb. 1 thru 8 and also had Gede in the MDR. Very Nice person. Had a wonderful cruise that started off right with the Patriots winning.:D:D:D:D

I'm still trying to get pictures from video, since I really didn't try hard enough for ship pictures, but I did wear the glasses a lot.

The kids loved camp, which was great for us. Most days they would be so upset when we took them out, especially from Night Owls.

We loved that all we had to do was take a short walk past the pool and then up the stairs and were in camp.

The kids loved being so close to Pizza and ice cream and french fries. The Lido deck was the best choice and we would book that level again. Very convenient. While the girls were at Camp, Serenity was a favorite spot for us.

I think it would of been nicer at the end of the ship, and I prefer the layout in the back that other ships have. Plus being right next to the slides took away from the adult retreat feel. They had hammocks, chairs and loungers. They also had sectional outdoor couches, a couple of hot tubs and a bar. Bar tenders were frequent on this ship, and aside from the main pool, it was never hard to get a drink.

We also spent a lot of time playing trivia in Ocean Plaza, which was the middle of Deck 5. The ship was split up very well. You would always have something in Ocean plaza and the Atrium which were close to each other. Then you had activities and performers in the lounges and night club as well as the Lido deck. I heard they cut back on performers, but we missed more than we had a chance to see.

I'm going to get the fun times finished and get some more pictures ready.

Lanai Starboard hot tub

20150215_143428_zps997b0460.jpg

Deck 11 Chairs on side of ship aft port.

20150215_131308_zps419ae6b4.jpg

The NCL Dawn and Creole Queen behind us.

20150215_131300_zps3e239b77.jpg

I always found myself with the girls on the back deck. There were more chairs open, and I like the rear view. Plus the sandwich place was right there, and the Tandoor for a Naan and Hummus fix (like Pita).

20150215_131229_zps742a7e53.jpg

thanks for the review. we will be on the dream Sept. 20th. our cabin is interior 10289. i think that is directly across the hall from your cabin. i was like you and wanted to be close to the pool but i was a little nervous about the location because of noise but it sounds like you enjoyed it. that makes me feel a little better.

Okay, back to the ship.

Camp Carnival for some odd reason is not open the first day, so after getting all the info and everything we just went to walk around the ship.

It is the biggest ship I've sailed on. I didn't find the arcade until the last night.

I like viewing the city from the river and we got to know the lido deck and locate Serenity and all. I still think the back of the ship is more relaxing (and less windy) for an adults retreat.

viewofbridgesfromship_zps4b0a9e26.png

I liked the Tequila and Rum bars at the back of the lido deck, they each made good special drinks, but the Rum bartender had an excellent mojito, but Tequila had free popcorn.

firstdrinkatthetequilabar_zpsd0ae5ad7.png

Red-frog-rum-bar-21.png

Got my fruity drink for the Muster drill.

20150215_191036_zps88f3550b.jpg

We started sailing off after the drill, it's always fun to watch the city go by.

P2150022_zps17f22cb2.jpg

P2150016_zpsdiy1c4kj.jpg

It amazes me how high up the ships going upriver are.

P2150015_zpsmsjxte4r.jpg

Enjoying our view from the balcony.

P2150014_zps88920ada.jpg

Heading to dinner in the Scarlet dining room, I was impressed by this glass bridge above us that led to the Burgundy lounge.

P2170114_zpsnfz7hgd9.jpg

(following not my pic, just wanted one of the restaurant)

Crimson_Restaurant_3129.JPG

It was very ...... red, but we always had a great meal here, and Gede made the service spectacular.

• 5 weeks later...

Really appreciate this. Our first Carnival cruise will be at the end of January, so do look forward to any info on the ship you may provide.

Our first cruise at the end of February was from NOLA, and it was in the 40's the two days we were there. And I think the port is very easy to get around and nicely done.

About FTTF - is it $50 for the cabin, or per person? I'd like to get it for us, especially if it covers both of us...