Zuiderdam Tour

Sherbertscamper

We did it 5 or 6 years ago, and it was $100. It's gone up since then. Last price I remember seeing was $125. It was about 3 hours, and well worth the time in money if you have any curiosity about how things work.

Definitely sign up the first day. Go to the front desk and ask about it. They take only a small group. It may or may not be "advertised" in the On Location, but don't wait for that. Ask right away.

I think I paid more than $125 back in 2013. But it was worth it.

I think it was more than 3 hours over 2 days when I was in Alaska.

Of course, the tour length and cost will be different depending when and where you go.

• Fav stop.... the tailors. It was the where they maintain the uniforms and the front of the ship at the bottom deck
  • Weird stop.... where they keep the flowers and _____
  • Least fav stop.... sanitation
  • Other worthy places.... engine control room, bridge, backstage, and where they hide the beer.
  • Could not find the brig.

I think I paid more than $125 back in 2013. But it was worth it.

I think it was more than 3 hours over 2 days when I was in Alaska.

Of course, the tour length and cost will be different depending when and where you go.

• Fav stop.... the tailors. It was the where they maintain the uniforms and the front of the ship at the bottom deck
  • Weird stop.... where they keep the flowers and _____
  • Least fav stop.... sanitation
  • Other worthy places.... engine control room, bridge, backstage, and where they hide the beer.
  • Could not find the brig.

We did it all in one day, ending with a drink in one of the bars. Fortunately, the flowers were the only thing in the flower cold room. ;)

The best part of the tailor shop was realizing where we were in the ship and how we could see the curvature of the hull.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

On the Rotterdam this Summer, the cost was $150 and the tour was split between two days. The most recent posts about the Tour stated that the part of the tour that included the Bridge was done only on those days when in port. Not on my tour; we visited the Bridge when we were at sea.

One of the best parts of the tour for me comes at the end. The small group is taken to one of the lounges for drinks and canapes. The "Tour Guide" remains along with a Senior Officer to answer questions and for discussion. Our "Tour Guide" for our first day and part of our second day was the Hotel Director himself. (That was a first for me after being a part of other Behind the Scenes Tours.)

If one is interested in such things, this Tour is worth every cent.

If interested, be sure to check with the Front Office soon after embarking. And, if the personnel deny any knowledge of such a Tour being available, be persistent. I discovered that they are not always aware of the Tour being scheduled.

Note: The Behind The Scenes Tour is usually available only aboard the Vista and Signature Class ships. (Not sure whether the Koningsdam has it.) The Rotterdam is the only one of her Class that has offered it, as far as I know.

Edited by rkacruiser

We've been on the bridge of two different ships & it didn't cost us anything, $150 seems to me a bit expensive, but then different strokes for different folks. I guess it's a another way to generate revenue.

Allan

We've been on the bridge of two different ships & it didn't cost us anything, $150 seems to me a bit expensive, but then different strokes for different folks. I guess it's a another way to generate revenue.

Allan

You are missing the point of the Behind The Scenes Tour. Visiting the Bridge is very important, of course. But, it is the rest of the story that is of equal, maybe even more, importance!

You are missing the point of the Behind The Scenes Tour. Visiting the Bridge is very important, of course. But, it is the rest of the story that is of equal, maybe even more, importance!

I agree. I looked at it as a shore excursion on a sea day. I was impressed with how many department managers were on hand to talk to us and answer questions. It wasn't just some tour leader pointing out "there's the laundry, there's storage, there's the tailor shop..."

I did the tour on the Ms Oosterdam in a single day for $150. We were fortunate to get to go down the steep steps into the Engine Room and see the massive engines, water purification systems, and maze of pipes. I think they stopped tours of the Engine Room now. One of my favorite events of the tour was looking straight down through the glass floor of the bridge at the side of the ship and learning about the little joystick that is used to ease the massive ship right to the pier.

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/hal-ms-oosterdam/hal-ms-oosterdam-behind-the-scenes-tour/nggallery/page/9

Edited by Crew News