How to get alcohol on board

jewels2222

I am currently booked on Caribbean Princess November 27th cruise to St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Princess Cays. It is a surprise birthday for my husband who is unaware of the up and coming vacation. I have read many reviews of people stopping at Publix and getting their own alcohol. Can anyone tell me how you get it on the ship without it being confiscated? I have read that all checked luggage can not have any locks on them and they may be searched. Thank you for any help!

Simple, and I do it all the time, put it in your checked luggage - better to place it in a one or two gallon ziploc bag in case the crew gets violent with your luggage.

you are probably going to get some further controversial statements regarding smuggling etc, but pay no attention and pack the drink of your choice - have a wonderful cruise!

Ron

Hi:

If I order a bottle of rhum and some coca-cola from the bar to be delivered to my room, will the coke be in cans or from fountain that will loose it's fizz before I get a chance to drink it? And does anyone know how much they charge for the mixers :confused:. Also, is the selection of rhums the same if I order it as gift from web-site or from the bar on board :cool:

thanks for input:)

Thanks for info Catmand but I've already ordered it from the website because I didn't know that I could order a full bottle from the bar...that's the beauty of this site...so much to learn! But for the mixer, my only option was to order 6 cans from the website but I really don't want six cans! So I'm wondering if I order from the bar while on board, will the mixer still be delivered in a can? And will they be the same price as on-line...And do you know if the booze selection is the same on the website or is there more variety from the bar?...so many questions...Are you dizzy yet?

You would be surprised at how well-stocked the bar really is! You can order soda in cans, or bring some aboard if you prefer. If you happen to like something that is hard to find, such as small-batch bourbons, no one will complain if you bring it aboard. For most items, though, it's just so much easier to get them from the bar or room service once you get on board.

Drink it all right before you get on, and carry it on inside you! :D

Just kidding. Beer and soda are very expensive on the ship, but they will let you carry as much on as you like. On the Caribbean Princess last week, I saw two people carrying on two 24-packs of beer each right out in the open.

Hard liquor is priced very reasonably on the room service menu. As long as they carry what you like there is not reason to smuggle. I got a 1L bottle of Bacardi rum for $20 which is cheaper than I can get it on land.

i dont know about publix, it is just a grocery store but crown liquor now what a selection!! a bottle of rum is about 14 dollars so why pay 20 on board. pack what ever you want in your checked luggage. if you try to bring it on in your carryon bags it may be taken.

it is not smuggling. we spend plenty at the bar and in the dining room for wine with dinner. i drink brandy and the ships have only cognac which i hate. we also have a martini before leaving the cabin for dinner so we bring ketel one vermouth olives and onions. i also bring on a bottle of port for a nite cap each nite and we bring 4-6 bottles of champagne as well.

we pack it the day we board in the checked luggage and never have a problem.

All of the above are correct.

Better yet, you can order reasonably priced liquor from room service when you get on board and save all the trouble. On our Caribbean Princess cruise last summer we ordered several bottles ahead of time by faxing in an order form from the Princess Cellars area of the Princess web site. Later we found out that we could order the same thing for a couple bucks less on board by calling room service.

If it's fine wine or champagne to celebrate a special occasion that you want to bring on board that's perfectly alright with Princess. Otherwise, they are silent on whats to be or not to be allowed upon embarkation. In port is another matter, your cruise documentation will tell you that they will collect it and give it back at the end of the cruise as your re-board. In the course of some very extensive research on this matter before our last cruise the best I could get officially from Princess (that I wanted to hear) was that it was up to the embarkation staff as to how strictly the rules were enforced.

The reports of passengers simply walking on with it are common.

But I remember on Carnival when the reports of people walking on were common until it got out of hand. Passengers begun bringing roll-on coolers full of booze and kegs of beer. They put their foot down on that one and squashed it for a while.

I learned the hard way on bringing it on in my carryon luggage on one Carnival cruise when some bottles of fine beer that I had intended on using to celebrate a special occasion (like the sun rising, a bird flying over, etc) was confiscated.

BUT if you're really concerned about this here are a few tips

http://www.lifeiscruising.com/secret_booze_smuggling_tips_page/edit

Simple, and I do it all the time, put it in your checked luggage - better to place it in a one or two gallon ziploc bag in case the crew gets violent with your luggage.

you are probably going to get some further controversial statements regarding smuggling etc, but pay no attention and pack the drink of your choice - have a wonderful cruise!

Ron

Ron...you da man!

I bring my own because Princess does not sell what I drink.

I also put the bottles in two gallon ziplock bags.

I wrap a tshirt around the bottle and then pack it in the MIDDLE of my suitcase. Not on the bottom, not on the top, not on the sides. Directly in the middle.

Have never had a problem (knocking on wood as I type).

We went on the Sapphire in August and this way worked perfectly.

We packed a 30 pack of cours and a 12 pack of coke in one bag - cushioned with wadded up newspaper - in our checked luggage - on the plane from LV. Also had a box of Franzia in another bag - enclosed in a plastic bag.

Since the luggage did not get to our room until several hours after we did, we ordered from room service - 1 ltr bottle of Crown Royal, a six pack of coke, a 6 pack of beer and 4 (very small) bottles of wine. The total bill was $75 + gratuties! Actually the Crown Royal was only about $22 which didn't seem too bad. We just felt the $2.95(vs about $.70) per can of Coors(about the price at the bars) was pretty steep!

The beer and soda in the suitcase arrived in good shape(a little heavy, but worth it!)

I have taken a Princess cruise the last two years, each time boarded in Ft. Lauderdale and did not want to risk breakage of my carry on liquor so I put it in my carry on bag instead of my checked luggage. Each time, the carry on bag was scanned before I was allowed to board, but the security folks did not say a word to me about the alcohol in the carry on. Each time, I brought an unopened 1.5 liter bottle. I've never had a problem with it being confiscated. But I have learned that liquor is more expensive in my hometown than on the ship, so this year I preordered to have in my cabin when I board.

All good comments.

Think I'll keep my on-line order for now and next cruise, just order it from the bar when I arrive. I thought the on-line order was fun 'cause I expected it in my room when I arrived, but from what I'm reading on these posts, my order may not get delivered until later in the day/evening...or maybe I should cancel it...need to give this some thought:cool:

I still prefer to get the booze on board pre-order or on-site...Saves my back from carrying all that weight:p Single traveller:p

Jewels2222 ........

We're on the same sailing of the Caribbean Princess on November 27th. Join us on our roll call, if you wish! :)

As the other posters said, I order the liquor from the ship, but have smuggled before. Just put it in several ziplocks in the middle of your suitcase.

I do take Champagne, beer, soda and water onboard in my carry-on. There has never been a problem. I pack mixers too. You might want to head over to that Publix and buy your mixes and just carry them onboard. AND, like others, I spend plenty in the bars, so they are not losing much revenue! :rolleyes:

Hope to see you on the roll call - here's a link ..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=2087105#post2087105

Diane :cool:

Wow!!!!!111 Hard to believe no one hear has done this. On my last cruise on the Golden, I wrapped my favorite vodka in bubble wrap, easily bought at Office Max, UPS Stores, Staples, etc. Just packed the bottle in the bubble wrap, put into my checked luggasge, and, voila!, a perfectly preserved 1.75 liter of Grey Goose. and the room steward had no problem. He even put it into the fridge and every day brought crushed ice. worked for me.

Wow!!!!!111 Hard to believe no one hear has done this. On my last cruise on the Golden, I wrapped my favorite vodka in bubble wrap, easily bought at Office Max, UPS Stores, Staples, etc. Just packed the bottle in the bubble wrap, put into my checked luggasge, and, voila!, a perfectly preserved 1.75 liter of Grey Goose. and the room steward had no problem. He even put it into the fridge and every day brought crushed ice. worked for me.

did you know you can purchase Grey Goose from room service for $32 a liter???

Scott

Archived