NCL Hurricane Updates

I was wondering if anyone knows how, or even if, NCL notifies its passengers of cruise changes due to weather. I've been going to their website to see if they posted any notices regarding Katrina, but haven't found anything. I'm just curious. Carnival has a link right on their home page for information regarding cruise updates, as does RCCL.

Guest nhrich

I'm sure that NCL will have something on their website, but right now, they don't have any ships that are affected. The Sun is scheduled to start sailing out of NOLA in October, but it's too early yet to know what will happen.

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

I was wondering if anyone knows how, or even if, NCL notifies its passengers of cruise changes due to weather. I've been going to their website to see if they posted any notices regarding Katrina, but haven't found anything. I'm just curious. Carnival has a link right on their home page for information regarding cruise updates, as does RCCL.

NCL's website does give weather updates, BUT only when their ships/itineraries are affected. NCL doesn't have ships in the caribbean (only the Bahamas) during summer so there is nothing to update on.

Well, I guess I just assumed that they had a ship sailing out of New Orleans right now. My mistake, but thanks for the information. I just couldn't understand why I didn't see anything regarding the hurricane.

It is so unfortunate for the people of New Orleans. Everything is underwater. I just can't believe all that is happening, and so close to home too. NO is where I was born.

I was talking to our TA today about something else and she mentioned that NCL will be diverting the NO ships to Galveston indefinately. I didn't realize they don't have any going out of there right now, so I don't know how credible that is. But it sounded like, thinking back, that she must have gotten something from NCL telling her that. Not much help, am I?

Thank you Angelsx4. We have been unable to reach our TA because he is on a group tour right now. It has been very frustrating not getting any news from NCL. Our flights are already booked and paid for but we still have to make final payment for cruise in December. The Sun is only supposed to start departing from NOLA 10/13 but I doubt that it will happen. I feel so guilty for worrying about our vacation and helpless that I can't do more than send money to the Salvation Army. This is the most heartwrenching thing I have ever seen. I pray that the survivors can hold on long enough for help to reach them.

:( Our prayers ,go out to the people who have been affected

by Katrina.It's so sad to see the devisation.

Not to sound heartless,& just think of our cruise,(We'll not)

Just would like to know if we needed a plan B.We called NCL

on yesterday to inquire about Sailings from NO.We were told that the Powers That Be,were still gathering information & once

decisions were made passagers would be notified.We have a final payement due in a couple of weeks,for our Dec.cruise.We

hope we don't have to now incure an expense for a flight to

Texas:eek:

Again,our prayers go out to those affected by Katrina...Vee

On the news last night, they indicated that the government was negotiating with some of the cruise lines to lease their ships as temporary housing in the gulf. They said the cruise lines would cancel existing schedules to assist.

I suppose at some point, it may be more profitable to lease the ships for a few months than operate them in a normal fashion. Who knows?

While I would hate for my cruise to be cancelled, you can hardly begrudge anything that helps the Katrina victims.

I live in a small town just west of Ft. Worth, TX, called Weatherford. I work for our local police dept and we received word that a bus load of 50 people from NO were brought to the Church of God campgrounds (they are really dorm style housing) to stay for a number of weeks. When they can, they will be allowed to return to their homes, but many have indicated that they want to find jobs and possibly stay. We have had a whole new shopping complex just built with Lowes, Kohls, PetsMart, Office Depot, Best Buy and several other smaller stores.

The city is having a collection for items we use everyday: toothbrushes, etc. It's nice to know we can help these few people out.

Thank you Angelsx4. We have been unable to reach our TA because he is on a group tour right now. It has been very frustrating not getting any news from NCL. Our flights are already booked and paid for but we still have to make final payment for cruise in December. The Sun is only supposed to start departing from NOLA 10/13 but I doubt that it will happen. I feel so guilty for worrying about our vacation and helpless that I can't do more than send money to the Salvation Army. This is the most heartwrenching thing I have ever seen. I pray that the survivors can hold on long enough for help to reach them.

Don't feel guilty.

We too are cruising out of New Orleans (January) but I would give NCL a bit of time to work things out. They will inform your TA. (We have asked ours to let us know when she knows - if I hear ANYTHING from her - I will post here). Remember this is a BIG decision for NCL to make and it could affect NOLA adversely. IF things are somewhat back on track in NOLA by next year - it would be good for NCL to cruise out of there - tourist revenue will be desperately needed by local people. I would REALLY like my tourist dollars to go to the people of NOLA but I know that may not happen. If we are lucky enough to still cruise out of NOLA, I intend to spend as much as I can in the city at local businesses and I will not complain if the port is in bad shape. If the city is still devastated then obviously NCL won't be able to cruise from there. I think we need to give NCL a little time to make a decision ( I think it highly likely that at least the earlier cruises won't be leaving from NOLA). In the mean time donate money to the American Red Cross - we will.

To add, more than just the airport and seaport needs to be working normally to service the Sun. Bakeries, dairys, transportation artieries for delievery trucks and vans, food warehouses, fuel supplies, and water supplies are all needed to service and run the ship out of NO. Today, none of these services are available.

By the way, to correct another post, NCL usually sails out of Houston, not Galveston.

It's only 350 miles or so between the two cities of Houston and NO. :)

I just got an email from my boss as I have clients booked on the Sun later this fall and early winter. He spoke with NCL yesterday; apparently no firm decision has yet been made as they are studying the options. Carnival has annonced their plans, so NCL should be soon as well. I am certain the info will be on the website as well as available through your TA.

NMNIta

I wouldnt hold my breath on New Orleans being functional anytime soon. I've work with Southern Company (GA Power, Gulf Power, etc.) to assess the damage for repair. I wont see my employees for quite a while.

There is no way they can remove the people, assess the damage, file the claims, repair everything damaged, pass the inspections in a short time frame. It will be a long time before the city to be able to accomodate visitors safely. It will take YEARS to fully recover.

Just donate what you can, help if you are able, and plan on leaving from another city.

Hopefully the cruise lines will make some decisions soon.

In Galveston Carnival will now have the Ecstacsy 4/5/days, Elation 7 day , Conquest 7 day Different Itinerary than Elation, and possibly Sensation 4/5/days. The Sensation decision has not been made yet possibly due to the request of using a ship for living quarters for Nola residents. We also have Princess and Celebrity. NCL uses a different pier in Houston not Galveston. I would say that if the current passengers elect to depart from Texas than all is well. If they start cancelling I don't see how all of these ships could continue to maintain their capacities.

We here have always asked for a new Itinerary and a larger ship like the Conquest. Once they bring it in it will be difficult to sell the current Itinerary to Mexico and Belize again. Once you do it you don't want to do it again. The Conquest is more of the traditional western caribbean that most of us prefer.

In Galveston Carnival will now have the Ecstacsy 4/5/days, Elation 7 day , Conquest 7 day Different Itinerary than Elation, and possibly Sensation 4/5/days. The Sensation decision has not been made yet possibly due to the request of using a ship for living quarters for Nola residents. We also have Princess and Celebrity. NCL uses a different pier in Houston not Galveston. I would say that if the current passengers elect to depart from Texas than all is well. If they start cancelling I don't see how all of these ships could continue to maintain their capacities.

We here have always asked for a new Itinerary and a larger ship like the Conquest. Once they bring it in it will be difficult to sell the current Itinerary to Mexico and Belize again. Once you do it you don't want to do it again. The Conquest is more of the traditional western caribbean that most of us prefer.

Not exactly

Carnival Cruise Lines has chartered three of its cruise ships to the Military Sealift Command (MSC) on behalf of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for six months as part of Hurricane Katrina relief efforts.

The three cruise ships are the Ecstasy, Sensation and Holiday.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=4605895#post4605895

My TA also called NCL and was told they are going to assess the situation re: how fast they thing NOLA could be operating as a cruiseship port again. Hopefully for all of us scheduled to cruise from NOLA, they will make an announcement soon.

I would love to spend major tourist dollars in NOLA pre my Jan cruise but I am realistic - it just may not be possible. We have already decided that whatever port we cruise out of, soon after New Orleans is ready for tourists, we will find a way to go there and spend some bucks to support their economy.

Does anyone know of a reputable NOLA based charity that works with the poor people of the city ?

What date are you sailing in January? My DH and myself are scheduled to sail on the Sun, Jan 22nd. We have a room booked in the French Quarter and a chain hotel for a couple nights stay before we board. We are just waiting to see what happens, too.

Meanwhile, since we live in Texas, our little town is housing, so far, 125 of the residents displaced from NOLA (we had 50 on Wednesday and they brought 75 more today). I spent the day folding donated clothes, and sorting out personal hygiene products. We even had a couple of families come down to pick out items to help them start to rebuild their lives. They lost EVERYTHING. Its so sad to see the pain in their eyes, but they kept saying how grateful they were. One woman was surprized at the outpouring of love from a town of people she had never heard of. We were having to open one of the boxes of Kleenex for everyone.

What date are you sailing in January? My DH and myself are scheduled to sail on the Sun, Jan 22nd. We have a room booked in the French Quarter and a chain hotel for a couple nights stay before we board. We are just waiting to see what happens, too.

Meanwhile, since we live in Texas, our little town is housing, so far, 125 of the residents displaced from NOLA (we had 50 on Wednesday and they brought 75 more today). I spent the day folding donated clothes, and sorting out personal hygiene products. We even had a couple of families come down to pick out items to help them start to rebuild their lives. They lost EVERYTHING. Its so sad to see the pain in their eyes, but they kept saying how grateful they were. One woman was surprized at the outpouring of love from a town of people she had never heard of. We were having to open one of the boxes of Kleenex for everyone.

diving_blue_bonnet: So lovely to hear that ordinary people like yourself are able to offer some comfort and help to these poor displaced people! I feel so useless where I am. I can only donate money - so far to the Red Cross and perhaps at some future date to some local NOLA charity.

Oops forgot to mention - we are scheduled for the Jan 29 sailing.

Archived