Hurricanes

espmass

I have thought for my whole life that hurricane season ended November 1 but now they are saying the end of November. Was I mistaken or did they recently change it in light of the numerous severe storms? Sure hope I'm home free on the 11/10 Constellation sailing!

Hi, living in Florida for the past 40 years the official Hurricane Season...

date to date.....is Nov 1st.

Now, after the past 2 seasons, the "official date" probably doesn't mean

much.

If those waters are still warm and a wave is brewing I am thinking nothing

would surprise me.....Nov 1st not withstanding.

Just remember, that Captain doesn't want to see a storm any more

than his passengers. And he will do whatever he needs to do to make

your cruise safe.

wow, you mean after all these years I had it wrong:eek: :confused::(

Sorry I gave the original poster the wrong information.

Starts June 1st ~ Ends Nov 30th:(

I've always heard it is June 1 until November 30. I thought the peak of the season was in August and September.

We have cruised toward the end of November many times and never had problems. We had more problems with snow coming from upstate New York than with hurricanes.

I guess we traded the winter snows for summer/fall hurricanes. Don't know if that's the right decision.

Katie

I have thought for my whole life that hurricane season ended November 1 but now they are saying the end of November. Was I mistaken or did they recently change it in light of the numerous severe storms? Sure hope I'm home free on the 11/10 Constellation sailing!

Officially hurricane season runs from June 1 to Dec 1, but the likelihood of much activity before early Aug or after October is rare.

The heaviest time runs from mid August to mid or late Oct. There are exceptions in every case. Nothing in life, as we know is foolproof. I did hear a meteirologist (spelling) say the other day Wilma shoud be the last to threaten Florida this season. NMNita

I always thought Hurricane season ended when the hurricanes stopped :p

Did you see that there is a new TS out there? Alpha!! Near San Juan if I remember correctly (read about it couple hours ago)

I sure hope this is the last one!

Yes, just this morning they mentioned Alpha on the news. Incredible! Sure hope this is it for the season.

Hi we will be on the Constellation with you!:D

If you haven't found it already here is the link to our Roll Call...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=105578&page=60

I don't think Alpha will be a problem (it should be gone soon) but Beta (if there is one) might be...

I always thought hurricane season was until Nov 1st. But I guess now it is until all of the hurricanes have passed!!:eek:

I lived in St Thomas from 1965 until 1972. There are two "holidays" to commemorate the beginning and end of the hurricane season: Supplication Day, April or March, can't remember, 25th (to pray that the Islands be spared in hurricanes) is the beginning of the season, and October 25 is Thanksgiving Day (give thanks that the islands were either spared, or that there were survivors).

St Thomas is of course not Florida, but gives you the idea that the season runs 6-7 months. More storms form and then arrive in the Lesser Antilles during that period. I suppose regardless of the dates we humans put on the season, there could be storms outside the parameters.

So we are still left with the question of whether the season officially was ended on Nov 1st (shortly after the VI Thanksgiving Day) or if they've extended it until the end of the month in light of more recent storm history.

Anyone know if they've changed the dates of the VI Thanksgiving Day?

Archived