What Does Carnival Cover During Hurricane Season?

kmtjones803

We are scheduled for Sept 4th on the Celebration, but our PVP didn't mention anything about any insurance for our trip. Being from Louisiana, we have certainly had our fill of hurricanes, and hopefully will be spared this season. But-What will happen if Carnival cancels or changes the itenerary for our trip? Are we still held liable?

I have no problem with an itenerary change, as I love just being on a boat...but was still curious!

TIA

Miranda

We are scheduled for Sept 4th on the Celebration, but our PVP didn't mention anything about any insurance for our trip. Being from Louisiana, we have certainly had our fill of hurricanes, and hopefully will be spared this season. But-What will happen if Carnival cancels or changes the itenerary for our trip? Are we still held liable?

I have no problem with an itenerary change, as I love just being on a boat...but was still curious!

TIA

Miranda

if they cancel then you'll get your money back. If the itinerary changes you just have to go with the flow.

Bill

TIA

Miranda

First of all have a blast on your cruise. Second I believe that itenerary changes are at the descretion of the Cruise Line in this case Carnival so there may or may not be any compensation. As far as the cruise being cancelled I'm sure there would be a refund or a rescheduled cruise at a later date.

I'm sure those with more knowledge will chime in shortly but as I said before have a blast on your cruise.

A cruise is very rarely cancelled.

They may move the port of embarkation/deparkation, and provide transportation, extend your cruise, delay your departure, shorten your cruise, and on the other end, you may end up visiting places you were not supposed to visit (like last years Bermuda cruise going to Canada on RCCL).

Hurricanes usually move so slowly that there's plenty of time to react.

But it ALWAYS makes these boards interesting upon these PAX return. :eek:

We were on the Legend or should I say tried to get on the Legend last year when Wilma hit Fort Lauderdale. The experiece we went through changed my outlook on moving to Florida. # First get insurance#,if your flight is cancelled or delayed you will miss the ship. If you buy your air and any pre -cruise packages through Carnival you will be well taken care of through Carnival just save all reciepts, but keep in mind you may have no phones/water or electricity for a couple of days and you may go out of a different port than scheduled. Things will get a little hectic because your first instinct will be to call Carnival but guess what your cell phone will run out of juice and no eletricity anywhere to charge it. Your night before hotel may start to give in and the next day be condemmed by the city and you have to try and find another place to stay. Carnival will send reps to help but in all honesty they are just doing their best. We got reloctaed from Fort Lauderdale to Boca Raton (SP) they told the rep they had electricity and food, but that was a lie. We ate that night on canned food and warm soda in a dirty room because the maids could not get into work. Now that I have told you all the bad stuff, Ill give you the good. When we finally got back to Ft Lauderdale we were told the ship was now leaving out of Miami, and we would have to get to Miami to board the ship that day. We talked a van driver to take us to Miami for a set price and she was great but beware since her laptop was not working ,out of power, make sure you get a hand written reciept covered later). We got to Miami to only find that port also closed because the marker bouys in the channel had moved and they had to be relocated back into position. At that time we were outside the terminal gate with about 2000 other people waiting on anyone from Carnival or the port to tell us what was going to happen. People were very very upset and mad at Carnival for causing this Hurricaine ( strange what power Mr. Dickerson has over the weather). We also saw how cruel people could be to others. The Carnival reps were treated very badly even though some of them had lost everything the night before,they were still their trying to help us. (The best of kindness.) After staying in Miami another night are cruise was now 7 days instead of 8. Most people could not even make the cruise because both FT. Lauderdale and Miami airports were closed. When we got to the ship it was wonderful, we had to change iteneraries because of the shorter cruise. But becaue the ship was about half full they gave those with inside rooms balconies. The staff treated everyone as if they were the soul survivor of the Hurricaine. We were sent bottles of wine and flowers from the staff back at Miami because we just hepled move people and tried to be plesent. I HAVE BEEN ON 10 PLUS CRUISES BUT I WOULDN"T TRADE THE EXPERIENCE ON THIS ONE FOR ANYTHING. To everyone at Carnival who was on the ground trying to help they should of all gotten raises because the abuse they took from alot of people was totally on called for. I hope everyone traveling this hurricaine season will read this and think before they jump to any acts they may regret. Oh yes were reimbursed for all our out of pocket expenses because we booked our air and pre-cruise through Carnival, we recieved a check within a couple of weeks. We also were reimbursed for the portion of the cruise we missed plus and on board credit. I may be and old softy but when a young man I didnt even know volunteered to walk up to the 12th floor and bring down our 6 bags in the dark because of no power for the elevator, you also get to see the best of people. I will sail Carnival when ever possible because of the kindness shown by the staff in Miami and on the Legend. Have a great cruise and forgive the spelling errors.

2. (b) Carnival’s vessels visit numerous ports in a number of countries. Guests assume responsibility for their own safety and Carnival cannot guarantee Guest’s safety at any time. The United States Department of State, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other governmental and tourist organizations regularly issue advisories and warnings to travelers and Carnival strongly recommends Guests obtain and consider such information when making travel decisions. Carnival assumes no responsibility for gathering said information. The Guest acknowledges that the cruise may be booked in a location that is susceptible to severe weather systems, including but not limited to, hurricanes, tropical storms and depressions, and that Carnival reserves the right to alter the ship’s course, ports of call, itinerary, activity and shore excursions to avoid such weather systems and insure the comfort and safety of the Guest and crew.

9. (a) The Vessel shall be entitled to leave and enter ports with or without pilots or tugs, to tow and assist other vessels in any circumstances, to return to or enter any port at the Master’s discretion and for any purpose and to deviate in any direction or for any purpose from the direct or usual course, and to omit or change any or all port calls, arrival or departure times, with or without notice, for any reason whatsoever, including but not limited to safety, security, adverse weather, strikes, tides, hostilities, emergency debarkations of Guests or crew, or late air, sea, car or motor coach departures or arrivals, all such deviations being considered as forming part of and included in the proposed voyage. Carnival shall have no liability for any compensation or other damages in such circumstances.

In the rare event that a cruise were cancelled entirely, would you also be able to get your deposit back? I can imagine someone wanting to be able to use that money right away for an alternate vacation...

In the rare event that a cruise were cancelled entirely, would you also be able to get your deposit back? I can imagine someone wanting to be able to use that money right away for an alternate vacation...

Yes you get your deposit back. As to using the money, credit card refunds can take weeks to process (in general, not specific to Carnival).

Thanks for the replies...we don't ever fly to our embarkation port, so there is no worries over flights, etc. Like I said, I have NO problems with a different itenerary, just wanted the basics. Glad to know they don't hold hurricanes against me :D

Miranda

Archived