Hurricane Ivan Updates

Host CMLA

Hi cruisers! Please use this thread for updated Ivan information. I'll "sticky" this to the top of the board so it will be easy to find. Good luck to everyone cruising in the next few weeks.

After living through Hurricane Frances for over a week - it went directly over our house but we have minimal damage - and went without electricity or water for the past five days, the one thing I keep thinking of is my upcoming cruise in November on the Spirit. I have never needed a vacation more than now.

And now it seems that at least two of the islands we are stopping at - Barbados and Grenada - have been severely hit by Ivan. My thoughts and prayers are with those residents who have been affected and have lost family members. Ivan is also possibly heading our way early next week so we are watching it closely.

Depending on the damage at these ports, is it likely that our itinerary may change?

I'm so very sad about Grenada. We were there this year for our anniversary (via the Dawn Princess) and it's now one of our most favorite places. I can't even imagine the devestion there. Hopefully they will be able to accept cruise ships and tourists!! They'll need the $$$..........

I am scheduled to sail on Sunday, September 12 on Norwegian Dawn from New York to Florida and Bahamas. Beginning to wonder if we will go since the storm path appears to be at Florida and then who know where.

Any one have news on changes in itinerary? We are scheduled to leave for NYC tomorrow.

I am scheduled to sail on Sunday, September 12 on Norwegian Dawn from New York to Florida and Bahamas. Beginning to wonder if we will go since the storm path appears to be at Florida and then who know where.

Any one have news on changes in itinerary? We are scheduled to leave for NYC tomorrow.

Have a good time in Canada. Bring a jacket. No news yet. NCL only posted yesterday the fact that the Dawn was going to Key West today instead of prior modified intinery that had them in Port Canaveral. No Mouse Club this week :(

This is one serious hurricane:

AN AIR FORCE RESERVE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INVESTIGATING IVAN

THIS MORNING RECENTLY REPORTED...AT 614 AM AST OR 1014Z...A

FLIGHT-LEVEL WIND OF 154 KT IN THE NORTHEAST QUADRANT. THEY ALSO

REPORTED A LOWER CENTRAL PRESSURE OF 920 MB...SUGGESTING THAT IVAN

MAY CONTAIN SURFACE WINDS A LITTLE STRONGER THAN THE 160 MPH

INDICATED IN THE 5 AM AST ADVISORY. DROPSONDE WIND REPORTS ALSO

INDICATED WINDS OF NEAR 210 MPH AT AN ALTITUDE OF ABOUT 350 FEET

ABOVE THE OCEAN SURFACE.

After living through Hurricane Frances for over a week - it went directly over our house but we have minimal damage - and went without electricity or water for the past five days, the one thing I keep thinking of is my upcoming cruise in November on the Spirit. I have never needed a vacation more than now.

And now it seems that at least two of the islands we are stopping at - Barbados and Grenada - have been severely hit by Ivan. My thoughts and prayers are with those residents who have been affected and have lost family members. Ivan is also possibly heading our way early next week so we are watching it closely.

Depending on the damage at these ports, is it likely that our itinerary may change?

Grenada is in rough shape, but Barbados seems to have been spared from alot of damage since it was really not in the direct path of Ivan...

See below for a picture of the damage at the cruise ship terminal in Bridgetown:

09afterbar.jpg.c93b8eded89a28eedacfebd3ee2fc674.jpg

Yes, I bet some ports will be changed. My first thought when I heard he may turn toward the gulf was; oh no, please don't damage any of the ports we will cruise in November; then I thought about all the people living on these islands, all those cruising right now and about to cruise; suddenly, my concerns seems to be very unimportant. I will say a special prayer for those living on the islands that have been hit and may be hit in the next few days. NMnita

My husband is from Jamaica and most of his family still lives there. Please keep the wonderful people of Jamaica in your prayers as it looks like they are going to hit very hard. I was fortunate enough to meet my husband on an NCL cruise four years ago and my heart is breaking for our family down there.

My husband is from Jamaica and most of his family still lives there. Please keep the wonderful people of Jamaica in your prayers as it looks like they are going to hit very hard. I was fortunate enough to meet my husband on an NCL cruise four years ago and my heart is breaking for our family down there.

I just looked at the 5 pm update and it is going to be long couple days for Jamaica. We will keep the people of Jamaica in our hearts. Things like this give us pause to remeber what is important - Family.

I wish onlty the best for the people of Jamaica.

Sue I pray your family and every one in the path of Ivan will be safe. One question for you? Awhile back I had asked the question as to where is Yopie, you had mentioned you have a friend in the business that may know where he went, other than retiring and living in Georgia. With all things that go on in our busy lives, it may have slipped your mind or not even talked to your friends. If you get the chance do you mind checking for us, and let us know? The origina question is back aways now in one of my previous threads. Thanks

Fran - I have not forgotten about you. I did ask my friend but he is on vacation right now. As soon as he gets back on the ship he will check the bar deparment staff list and see if Yopie is on any of the NCL ships.

I spoke to my brother-in-law in Jamaica last night and they were doing all they could to prepare for the storm. I think he was trying to convince himself that it wouldn't hit them. I am sure it will be a while before we can contact our family again and all we can do is pray. With any luck the storm will weaken before it gets there.

Hey Mac, we are also sailing on the Dawn Sept 12. If you are interested to meet with other fellow cruisers check the roll call post in here for the same cruise. So far a total of 30+ are planning to meet at the Bimini Bar around 4 pm tomorrow. :) We are also discussing Ivan the terrible! Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=28582&page=1&pp=25

Archived