Shuttle bus in Marseille?.

dillie

Hello can anyone tell me is there a free shuttle bus from Marseille cruise port to the old port?. Will be on liberty of the seas in October & was wondering about doing the Le Petit Train tour. Many thanks.

If you don't get an answer here, you might try the ports of call area of CC since you will get more than just RC members there.

This is the ports of call area. Last thing I heard was the shuttle still runs but only fri-sat-sun.

This is the ports of call area. Last thing I heard was the shuttle still runs but only fri-sat-sun.

Be there on a Monday. I'm hoping there will a bus that day. I thought I'd put post in the right place haha never mind.

Be there on a Monday. I'm hoping there will a bus that day. I thought I'd put post in the right place haha never mind.

There never was a free shuttle outside if the weekend. But if you follow the green line that's painted on the road you'll get to the public bus. Less than eur 2 to Joliet and a great walk to the old port afterwards

There never was a free shuttle outside if the weekend. But if you follow the green line that's painted on the road you'll get to the public bus. Less than eur 2 to Joliet and a great walk to the old port afterwards

Oh right thanks for that. I was wondering as it seems a long walk from ship whether Royal caribbean would put on a shuttle bus. But I appreciate your info it's very helpful. 😊

Oh right thanks for that. I was wondering as it seems a long walk from ship whether Royal caribbean would put on a shuttle bus. But I appreciate your info it's very helpful. [emoji4]

The walk can be anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes depending where the ship docks

Correct me if I am wrong, I do read some post there are a free shuttle to town but not from port. You need to walk outside the port and it operates Monday too beside weekend. I do sail liberty and want to DIY to ND, but if I have to take taxi, it is not a problem too.

Correct me if I am wrong, I do read some post there are a free shuttle to town but not from port. You need to walk outside the port and it operates Monday too beside weekend. I do sail liberty and want to DIY to ND, but if I have to take taxi, it is not a problem too.

Oh really. I'll have to have a google see if I can find more info on shuttle buses & possibly where we might dock on the Liberty. We were interested on just doing the Le Petit Train. But it starts from the old port I think.

I don't have experience with this, but it looks like using the public bus would be pretty easy and cheap to use.

http://shorebee.com/en/france/marseille/from-marseille-to-marseille/public-bus

http://provence.angloinfo.com/information/transport/public-transport/city-metro-tram-services/

Thanks so much this information is very helpful. I'll save that.

any recommendation in Marshille what to do after ND? We have about 9 hours in port.

Walk in Le Panier district.

Have lunch near Vieux Port.

Visit ft St Jean / MUCEM museum.

Take the boat to Ile de Frioul.

Etc...

Here's the websites for the company we used for our Calanques tour:

http://www.visite-des-calanques.com

http://www.croisieres-marseille-calanques.com

We arrived early so we could get an outdoor covered seat with shade. We got one, though a ship's excursion group arrived long after we did and got priority seating.

Your original question was about the shuttle. For time's sake and lack of info for our day in port, we took our ship's shuttle (for $14 each). We did not see the Free shuttle in the morning and no one at the port could tell me anything about it. However, upon our return, there it sat in the fenced area near our ship, empty with only the driver inside. I tried to contact the port for more info in advance, but didn't get what I was looking for. If I'd had accurate timetables of their schedule and assurances of exactly where it dropped us off, I might have used it. But our time was pressed that day and we wanted to make sure we made the Calanques tour early. I did see the local bus stop just outside of Gate 4. Our ship was the last one on the line, so it would have been quite a walk in the heat. On the return trip back to the ship, I did see J1, Joliette, where the shuttle is supposed to drop you. It would have been close to the Cathedral and other buses and transport, as previously stated.

Enjoy your day! It's a beautiful place.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed this review from a fellow passenger on my recent sailing, and found the info helpful (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2083522&page=5):

"Again it was a very large port and I think we were docked almost 7km from downtown. At the end of the pier, outside the fence and very close to the ship, there was a free shuttle bus provided by the port. Since it didn't start running until 9.30am (we arrived 8am) and HAL didn't mention it all, not many passengers noticed the shuttle. Also it was a Saturday and I think the shuttle only runs like Thursday-Sunday. The shuttle terminates at the smaller cruise terminal 'J4' which is outside a large transport hub 'Place de la Joliette' in the northern part of downtown, also right next to the brand new shopping center 'Les Terrasses du Port'. From Joliette we took the metro (with a change at 'Saint-Charles') to 'Vieux Port' (the old port)."

• 2 weeks later...

We got off the Liberty of the Sea on Monday Aug 25, and to my surprise, we walked right by the free shuttle, as we did not expect it to be running on a Monday. After a double take, we walked back and took the free shuttle to Joliette! Saved us alot of time and walking. There is only two buses rotating back and forth I believe. The bus was parked NOT at where the Liberty of the Sea was, but rather after the second dock as you walked on the green line in a small public parking lot. Look for the little sign on the bus windshield indicating "Cruise Shuttle". The last bus back is 4:30 from Joliette, which we caught also.

Oh really. I'll have to have a google see if I can find more info on shuttle buses & possibly where we might dock on the Liberty. We were interested on just doing the Le Petit Train. But it starts from the old port I think.

Dillie

We are traveling on Liberty of the Seas at the same time. I think we have chatted on RC Roll Call before. My husband and I are planning to try to do this too. Hopefully, we can join forces.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Quick update - docked in Marseille last week on Liberty and they provided (at a charge) a shuttle boat from the Port right into Marseille near to the old fort. Very quick and easy, ran all day every 30 mins or so.

Edited by MsJaydee

Thanks for the info, MsJaydee. A boat sounds like a fun way to get to the Old Port & Fortress! I take it that Liberty offered it? Just curious: how much did it cost? HAL charged us $14 per person for a round trip bus ride, which seemed way overpriced.

Edited by syesmar