handicapped cabin

cala8

hope you all can help me,we had initially booked a midship va cabin but my husband has some mobility problems,uses a cane and should be using a walker or wheelchair but refuses,I have rebooked VA 5140 ha cabin because of walk in shower and grab bars.I am looking at different pictures.Is the toilet in the same stall as the shower,can't tell any help would be appreciated.Thanks

No...the toilet is not in the shower....it's just that the shower has NO lip...so a wheelchair can roll in. It just looks that way! Unless he is using a wheelchair, you probably don't NEED a HC cabin....the standard showers only have a 3-4 in lip around them.

Also ask on the Disabled Cruising Board.

The HC cabins should also have a shower chair.

A regular cabin bathroom usually is elevated from the cabin floor, anywhere from 3"-6". That could pose a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

On the Gem everything was flat & seemless from the cabin to the bathroom. A chair could roll in & there was lots of space to turn around.

We were assigned the cabin after booking a GTY.

The big problem is that without any lip at the shower edge or the door, when taking a shower, with the movement of the ship, all the water ran out of the tiled bathroom & leeched into the carpeted room. The area outside the bathroom door was always soaked. They gave us a big industrial dryer but it was noisy & took up a LOT of space. I was also completely grossed out thinking about how much mold was probably under that carpet. I think they need to equip handicapped cabins with long rubber stoppers that can prevent the water from leaking out of the bathroom.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have some mobility issues (about the same as your husband sounds like -- I don't like using my walker either, unless it's absolutely necessary). Anyway, my travel agent contacted HAL, who said they would put a shower chair, grab bars, and raised toilet seat in my bathroom.