Heathrow to Central London Hotel recommendations

Seeking recommendations on best transportation from Heathrow to Central London hotel after a 7 hour overnight flight?

Should we pre-reserve with a limousine? Hail a taxi?

We'll have large luggage, so we aren't interested in schlepping onto a train and then into a taxi.

Would love to have your recommendation on reliable limousine/taxis.

Thank you.

Where in central London? Heathrow to Tower Bridge costs about $100 pounds. Taxis are all over the airport and London taxis are all licensed (the black ones) and are large enough for large luggage. The drivers are trained and often give you a history of the parts of town you are driving through. Don't forget that you don't tip like you do in the US over there

Getting on and off the underground with a lot of luggage will be a pain, the underground is crowded and the doors close quickly.

Where in central London? Heathrow to Tower Bridge costs about $100 pounds. Taxis are all over the airport and London taxis are all licensed (the black ones) and are large enough for large luggage. The drivers are trained and often give you a history of the parts of town you are driving through. Don't forget that you don't tip like you do in the US over there

Getting on and off the underground with a lot of luggage will be a pain, the underground is crowded and the doors close quickly.

The problem with a taxi is it's too dependent upon traffic - if you get stuck in heavy traffic your taxi fare will cost you dearly.

At the moment I can't remember if I used "just airport" or "simply airport" last time, but both are also good. From Heathrow to Trafalgar Square it was less than 40 pounds (two adults, two bags, two carry-ons). The driver was waiting for us just outside the arrival hall with our name on a sign, grabbed my bag, and off we went. Just make sure you're doing an equal comparison between the firms - some quote a figure, but then add in airport wait, etc. When you request a price tell them how many are in your party, how many bags, and your destination.

Barbara

Edited by Girr

Hotel is located at Aldwych London.

The problem with a taxi is it's too dependent upon traffic - if you get stuck in heavy traffic your taxi fare will cost you dearly.

At the moment I can't remember if I used "just airport" or "simply airport" last time, but both are also good. From Heathrow to Trafalgar Square it was less than 40 pounds (two adults, two bags, two carry-ons). The driver was waiting for us just outside the arrival hall with our name on a sign, grabbed my bag, and off we went. Just make sure you're doing an equal comparison between the firms - some quote a figure, but then add in airport wait, etc. When you request a price tell them how many are in your party, how many bags, and your destination.

Barbara

Thanks - really good comparison points! Appreciate your feedback.

Barbara

I have used http://www.justairports.com from and to LHR to London hotel a few times. To get a quote use hotel's postal code.

We used Blackberry Cars from Heathrow to our hotel in the Westminster area of London in 2013. The driver was there waiting for us, was very professional, and got us to our hotel quickly - even giving us commentary on the way. We'll be using them again this summer.

As you can see, there are many operators offering this service. The private hire business is highly competitive and they all know that one bad review on Tripadvisor or Facebook can lose them business. For this reason they almost always give an excellent service.

Depending how many of you there are. If there are more than 2 people the a private car is the only good choice. If you have only 2 people, a private car may be fine during the weekend or off-rush hours. I travel to London quite often and I always take the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station during weekday for the traffic into the central London can be pretty bad. The HE is a quiet and fast way to get to central London then get taxi from there to almost anyway in central London would cost you no more than £10 - £15. The "train" experience will not be as bad as you think with the luggage (unless you have a lot and can't manage them by yourselves). The walk to HE from after you exist customs is no farther than when you get off the plane at JFK or Dulles and get to the exit of the airport. There will be no lifting of luggage to get onto the train.

If you are like me and hate sitting in traffic then the HE is a good option.