St Petersburg Tours-Are they all the same?

Hi all,

We sail on June 17 aboard the RCL Serenade of the Seas for an 11-day Baltic cruise, including 3 days in St. P.

In looking at the best-known companies and comparing what they offer, I'm a little confused. They all seem to offer the exact same itineraries. They say they will customize a tour for you, but when I contacted one of them, they came back with the same old suggestions. I realize that, given unlimited funds, a fully private tour is possible, but that is not a realistic possibility for us.

Has anyone worked with a company or companies that break the mold?

I have had experience, elsewhere, with tour guides who say, "We will take you wherever you want, for however long you want, and skip what you don't want", but in practice, this turned out not to be the case.

Why choose one company over the other, on any grounds other than price?

I'd like to avoid a situation like the one we faced in Panama, where too much time was spent on Ancon Hill and hardly any in the Old City. Not to mention Cartagena, where I specifically said, "No emerald stores," and we ended up .. you can guess where.

Thanks!

Sylvia

Hi all,

We sail on June 17 aboard the RCL Serenade of the Seas for an 11-day Baltic cruise, including 3 days in St. P.

In looking at the best-known companies and comparing what they offer, I'm a little confused. They all seem to offer the exact same itineraries. They say they will customize a tour for you, but when I contacted one of them, they came back with the same old suggestions. I realize that, given unlimited funds, a fully private tour is possible, but that is not a realistic possibility for us.

I have had experience, elsewhere, with tour guides who say, "We will take you wherever you want, for however long you want, and skip what you don't want", but in practice, this turned out not to be the case.

I'd like to avoid a situation like the one we faced in Panama, where too much time was spent on Ancon Hill and hardly any in the Old City. Not to mention Cartagena, where I specifically said, "No emerald stores," and we ended up .. you can guess where.

Thanks!

Sylvia

there have been a few comments recently on this forum that tour companies are becoming less flexible on their itineries preferring to concentrate on the "top10" possibly because they are getting enough business so they don't have to accommodate out of the ordinary requests

I would continue to email several companies explaining your needs until you get a response which gives you the vibe you could work with this company

Several years ago we did that as my husband was awaiting hip replacement surgery so were looking for a tour that would accommodate his walking difficulties-we ended up going with Anastasia for a private tour for 3 as they were the best [for us] at suggesting how to optimise our time

as has been pointed out on these forums as St Petersberg is usually a once in a lifetime stop very few people will have experience of more than 1 company so tricky to judge which is better than another!

I think for a custom tour, you really need to go private or at least put your own group together.

They visit the top attractions and if you are the only ones that don't want to see X and want to see Y, the rest of the group might not share the same priorities.

We are doing a custom tour in Berlin this way. We want to go into the Checkpoint Charlie museum and eat currywurst and our tour guide is making it happen. In SPB, we are also doing a private but it is the usual 3-day tour with 2 flexible evenings added.

First of all, you do not want a private tour as it is too expensive. Do you have a group that would want to do things that are 'out of the ordinary'?. Are you part of a group already. if you sail in June, you should be looking to either start a group or join one already formed that may be looking for others to fill out the group.

Can you blame the tour companies?. Most of us, visiting St Petersburg, want to see the main attractions, with some other things maybe thrown in. If you are part of a group, it would be impossible to accommodate you at the expense of the group.

What you really need to do is get on your roll call and see if any others share your interests and form a group. I would almost bet that if you had a group that wanted to see specific things that are not on the main agenda, any of the tour companies would do this for you.

When we toured with SPB Tours, we were part of a group. Ourselves, we wanted to see the Grand Choral Synagogue which wasn't on our itinerary. We asked the guide and the next day, she asked the group if they wanted to visit it. Everyone said OK and that was added on. They surely couldn't do it just for us if the rest didn't want to see it.

Cheers

Len

We had a group of eight and booked SPB together and changed the itinerary a little by deleting Yusupov and adding Grand Choral Synagogue and some shopping. For the most part, I thought that the standard itinerary was outstanding.

The number one reason to select one of the tried and true by CC members is that the company delivers the product to Cruiseship pax. They get you back to the port on schedule, the file the paperwork, they're very familiar with the Russian immigration process at the port. Booking with only those on your ship makes it just so much simpler. No driving and waiting at ship to ship. For example what if you are able to get off your ship relatively easily and the other ship there's a problem.

Thanks for the replies.

I have gone on my cruise's Roll Call. Folks who signed up over a year ago seem to have filled all their tours. I'm still looking, though.

How about Palladian Tours? Anyone have experience with this company?

I'm a little confused. They all seem to offer the exact same itineraries. They say they will customize a tour for you, but when I contacted one of them, they came back with the same old suggestions. I realize that, given unlimited funds, a fully private tour is possible, but that is not a realistic possibility for us. Has anyone worked with a company or companies that break the mold? I have had experience, elsewhere, with tour guides who say, "We will take you wherever you want, for however long you want, and skip what you don't want", but in practice, this turned out not to be the case. Why choose one company over the other, on any grounds other than price? Thanks! Sylvia

Hi, Sylvia! There are a good range of comments, experiences and ideas on this thread from experts such Len and others. As noted by one, many can be very happy in amazing St. Petersburg with just the "standard" tour options. Below are some of my comments, ideas, suggestions:

The honest truth is that there are a number of very good to excellent private firms in St. Petersburg. Most people liked their tour and will beat the drums and say theirs are the "best". Of course, they have only tried one and do not have much real sense of "comparison". It is my suggestion to write to four or five of the top firms, tell them exactly what you want, seek and love. (And before doing this step, you might have to do some of your own advance research to determine those best, most needed priorities.) See what you get back and which one is the "best fit" for your specific personal needs and travel style. Some people are very happy and satisfied with the basic, standard "formula" tour that is offered up. I am NOT a big fan, however, of "one size fits all". Personal choice!!

Others, like us, want things to be a little more custom. In our "planning process", I asked lots of questions (after doing some advance reading and research) and got back many good replies (quickly) from Anastasia that helped me get my arms around the many options in St. Petersburg. Getting your trip "flow" and "pacing" is very important for St. Petersburg. We were super happy with how it all worked in having a great mix for what we saw and how it fit together. Another key factor is their "flexibility". Once in Russia and doing the first day, we asked about a couple of "schedule adjustments" and they got things done in a smooth and excellent manner. One item was a request to stop at a shop to buy a Russian-style military hat and I asked about getting an early admission at the Hermitage to avoid some of the bus/mass crowds at the regular hour. Making things custom and personal was very important to us. Some firms are flexible and very responsive. Others are not that way, nor interested or caring. That degree of custom/personal versus standard/more mass is part of the "choice" process. You need to determine what you want and need. PLUS, can afford!

Clearly, a private, smaller tour is much better than being "forced marched" in a mass of 30-45 people through the Hermitage as the guide barks out the canned script for the various art works you are passing quickly past. We saw those types of ship tours while there and would hate to suffer under that type of less-than-desirable situation.

Just like there are many different sizes, styles and types of shoes, the same is true with private tour companies. We don't all wear and have same types of shoes for all needs, occasions and purposes. Below are a few of my visual samples to get folks prepared for the great glories that are there in St. Petersburg. This will help to build your "excitement", plus highlight some of the top attractions that we loved the most.

On COST, the ideal is to have two couple doing the tour together. Just two people can get fairly costly. Four people, plus your guide can work out very nicely. It was perfect for us and the other couple.

Is there another couple with which you can team?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 104,410 views for this posting.

Here is an overall view of the size and scale of St. Isaac's interior in St. Petersburg. It is the largest Russian Orthodox cathedral in this historic city and was dedicated to Saint Isaac of Dalmatia, a patron saint of Peter the Great. The cathedral took 40 years to construct, 1818 to 1858, under direction of a French architect. During Soviet rule, it was nearly destroyed and was made into a Museum of Scientific Atheism. It has been restored to its religious beauty/role. The cathedral's main dome tops out at 333 feet and is plated with pure gold.:

1A-StP-StIsaacInt.jpg

Here is a unique angle for the spectacular fountains and water from the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg. The greatest technological achievement of Peterhof is that all of the fountains operate without the use of pumps. Water is supplied from natural springs and collects in reservoirs in the Upper Gardens. This elevation difference creates the pressure driving most of the fountains for the Lower Gardens, including the Grand Cascade.:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg

Here is the Grand Staircase at St. Petersburg’s Hermitage. It was restored after the fire of 1837. This white marble staircase is divided into two flights with ten solid columns of granite supporting the vaults of the staircase. Full of light and gleaming with gilding and mirrors, the staircase extends for the whole height of the Winter Palace. The painted ceiling is by 18th-century artist Diziano Gasparo representing the gods of Olympus Olympus. This gives an impression of an additional height to the staircase. The décor of the staircase includes monumental sculptures brought by Peter the Great from Italy. In the 18th century the staircase was known as the Ambassadorial Staircase because the envoys of foreign countries ascended it when going to the palace for official receptions.:

1A-StP-HermitageGrandStairs.jpg

Private, personal tours can be worth it, especially in St. Petersburg. Here our group of four, with our guide, Jane or Zhenya from Anastasia, we are viewing and learning more about one of the two da Vinci masterpieces (Madonna Litta or Madonna and Child) at the Hermitage after an early admission. There are only 14 such paintings by this artist existing in the whole world. We did an early admission at the Hermitage, lessening the crowd battles and adding to the enjoyment in this spectacular place/set of five palaces AND museum. It is both! This Madonna and Child was probably painted in Milan, where the artist moved in 1482. The Madonna's tender gaze as she looks at her son, and the tranquillity of the distant mountainous landscape, reflect humanist dreams of Ideal Man and a Harmonious Life. Experts says the painting reveals great beauty in its coloring and composition. The painting came to the Czar's collection and museum in 1865 from the collection of Count Antonio Litta in Milan.:

1A-StP-HermitageDaVinciViewing.jpg

As we entered Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg, here was the welcoming band. This Rococo summer residence of the Russian Czars is located in the town of Pushkin, 15 miles SE of St. Petersburg. The residence originated in 1717, when Catherine I engaged a German architect to construct a summer palace for her pleasure. In 1752, Empress Anna found her mother's residence outdated and had her court architect demolish the old structure and replace it with a much grander edifice in a flamboyant Rococo style. Construction lasted for four years and in 1756 the new 325-meter-long palace amazed courtiers, foreign ambassadors and other visitors. During Elizabeth's lifetime, the palace was famed for its lavish exterior, including more than 100 kilograms of gold used to gild the sophisticated stucco façade and numerous statues erected on the roof.:

1A-StP-WelcomeCath.jpg

Inside Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg with our personal guide from Anastasia, we view this spectacular reception “ballroom”, painted ceiling, gold, etc., at our pace and timing schedule, getting our personal questions answered, etc. This majestic setting requires a little time to “soak it up”.:

A-StP-CathPal.jpg

Hi all,

Thanks!

Sylvia

Hi Sylvia,

I looked at another company for the same 3 days tour, but I found that SPB is quite good and is highly recommended by my good friends who were very happy with their services.

As I mentionned, I am trying to form a small group of 16. Currently I have 4 poeple in my group. How many do you have in yours?

Thanks.

Hi Sylvia,

I looked at another company for the same 3 days tour, but I found that SPB is quite good and is highly recommended by my good friends who were very happy with their services.

As I mentionned, I am trying to form a small group of 16. Currently I have 4 poeple in my group. How many do you have in yours?

Thanks.

16 is not that small of a group. Why not limit it to 8? Your price per person would not be significantly more and you might find it that you can be more flexible with 8.

16 is not that small of a group. Why not limit it to 8? Your price per person would not be significantly more and you might find it that you can be more flexible with 8.

Agree with this above post that sixteen does seem fairly large. Yes, it's better than 25-30 people, BUT, you will find a group of four to eight people can be much more "personal", allowing a "conversation" with the guide, getting more questions answered, being more relaxed, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 175,278 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923