excursion help in Marseilles (Provence), France

lgh34609

will be stopping on the allure in Oct, looking for help on what to do for a excursion. I see on here it said best to take the city tour. should I buy that from RC or find something off the ship? we want to see and do as much as possible.

Thanks for any help

We suggest you do a little more research (there is a lot of info on this board) before you make a decision. Knowing that region of France very well (from both cruises and many long land trips) we would put the idea of a "Marseille City Tour" somewhere on the bottom of our list of the best options for Marseille. If you do feel more comfortable on a tour (as opposed to simply going off on your own) we suggest looking into the various tour options for Provence. We have spent months in Provence, never tire of the region, and have always considered every day a personal adventure.

Hank

There is a lot of info on this board that people have done and how they got there if you do a search or read through some of the pages.This question is asked all the time. Some stay in the city and ther's go to Avignon and les Beau...thos are just one o the suggestions.If you doa Googler search of the area you will also see these places, and get some info.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
We are booked on this tour in June. Can't wait!

The website says this tour is Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Am I reading that wrong. We are on the June 4 sailing on allure. I thought it docks there on Tuesday.

The website says this tour is Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Am I reading that wrong. We are on the June 4 sailing on allure. I thought it docks there on Tuesday.

I'm puzzled by why it may say that. My confirmation has the correct date on it, Tuesday. I really don't know.

Maybe it is a special price for those days???

Edited by Melozone

• 4 weeks later...

This is an excursion I have booked, and I have space for 2 additional travelers on Oct 6th, 2015 if you happen to be there on that date. Email me at tracyj79@comcast.net if interested.

http://Www.onedayinprovence.com

590 Euro for the group

** Châteauneuf-du-Pape *(including wine-tasting in a prestigious winery +

* visit*of the villages and cellars), then drive*through Avignon to see quickly*

* the historical center, then head back to Marseille through the Alpilles*

* valley (south of Avignon) including a stop in the medieval hilltop village of*

* Les Baux. *

will be stopping on the allure in Oct, looking for help on what to do for a excursion. I see on here it said best to take the city tour. should I buy that from RC or find something off the ship? we want to see and do as much as possible.

Thanks for any help

We had a great tour with a company called One day in Provence - William Templar is the owner. We went to aix en provence,cassis and a gorgeous winery, cllos magdalene (?),and a quick tour of Marseille. This was a great tour and I really felt sad to leave as it was so beautiful and just felt like I could have stayed forever. We booked the tour through a roll call and 7 of us had a marvellous day.

Aix en Provence and Cassis are delightful.

Cheryl

We went off to Arles, Les Baux, and Pont du Gard from Marseille. It was one of our favorite days of cruises in the Med. Not all Med cruises include a stop in Marseille. You should take advantage when you're fortunate enough to get a stop there to leave Marseille itself for the spectacle of Provence. While it requires some planning, it's worth it.

We went to Aix on a Sunday. A number of shops were closed but enough were open. In the morning there was an open farmer's market and a book market. Of course the architecture never closes. There is a link to my pictures earlier in the thread.

I will tell you where to go on Sunday, but getting there is not easy unless you rent a car and get an early start. We think the best place, in all of Provence, on a Sunday morning (until around 12:30 pm) is the huge outdoor market located in L'Isle Sur La Sorque! You can use Google to read about this famous market, but having been all over France this is our favorite spot on a nice Sunday. In bad weather it is best avoided.

So, with a rental car one might drive directly to L'Isle Sur La Sorque and then perhaps you could drive over to the delightful village of Fontaine-de-Vaucluse before heading back to Marseille. Another possibility after the morning market is to then drive to Les Baux.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner