Your opinions requested on our planned excurions

taliho621

So we are on NCL Pearl in August, stopping in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Victoria. Have spent way too much time on these boards researcheing, re-researching and re-re-researching, and have come up with a preliminary excursion itinerary.

But as the travel planner of the family, I am always paranoid that the decisions are not the right ones. And since this is a one-shot deal (kids are getting older, and we are not getting to Alaska with them again any time soon), I want to do it right. So I am asking for your opinions. Yes, I actually want to hear them - good, bad, indifferent, etc. So here goes:

FYI - travelers are myself, my wife, college-age daughter and hig school age son, as well as MIL.

Juneau - this is the only one I am not sure on. I know we want to go to Mendenhall, and I think we will just take the bus, so we can do what we want at our pace. Would also like to take the Mount Roberts Tramway and see the views afterwards. We are in Juneau from 2 p.m. - 10 p.m. Do we have time to do both? If we do both, will it be too close to sunset/twilight to see anything meaningful from the top of the tram? Your thoughts?

Skagway - Plan on the White Pass Railroad one way and then biking back down the 15 miles to town. Sounds exhilarating (and yes, I have read some of the negative reviews about the busy roads, but the majority of reviews seem positive). My only concern here - and it is silly - is that we are all decent bikers, but my kids have never biked down (or up) hill, being Floridians. Do you think this will be an issue? Also, my MIL may skip this one, but I welcome thoughts on whether this one is a good idea for her. If we split up at the end of the train ride, and she takes a bus or van back, would there be any problems with her getting back to the ship without my able assistance?

Ketchikan - Doing Misty Fjord flighsteeing. Right now I am leaning toward Island Wings due to reviews, but can easily be swayed elsewhere. Should we book anything else? We are only in town until 1:30, so I figured an early morning flight, but then we will have quite a bit of time left.

Victoria - Butchart Gardens. I am not sure about a night-time visit, but the place sounds lovely, and I don't know when we will be back that way again. But besides this, can anyone recommend someplace different for dinner? No need to get a good or fancy restaurant recommendation - we can eat at those places here in town. I am looking for someplace unique that we could not find elsewhere. Something like a Durgin Park in Boston, Max Brenner's in NYC (yes, I know that one is a chain), or Barton G's in South Beach. Or even someplace fun like a Dick's Last Resort (my son loves that one).

I'm listening . . .

Thanks.

I can't be super helpful. I've only been to Alaska one time. But while we're waiting for the more experienced folks to show up, I'll say that I can tell you've done well with your research.:)

Juneau - You should easily have enough time to visit Mendenhall Glacier and take the tram in that time frame. Are you planning on riding the city bus or the ones operated by private vendors? If you've researched as well as you seem to have, you know there is a walk from the bus stop if you're taking the city bus. Sunset should be easy to look up online. I'm thinking you're fine. The often cited advice is to not bother with the tram if it's cloudy.

Skagway - As you know, biking downhill is easier than biking uphill. Should be no problem. It's shouldn't be difficult for MIL to navigate back on her own, but you know her physical abilities better, so your call.

Ketchikan - Book with Island Wings now!! What is your total time in port? Hard to make suggestions without knowing your total time available. Lots to wander around and see in Ketchikan, if you so choose.

Victoria - Can't comment on that one. I've never been. Will be going in August ourselves.:cool:

Enjoy your trip!

JUNEAU - even at the end of Aug it won't be dark until 9pm-ish so you're fine. With 5 of you, why not rent a car ? The car will enable you to be on your own schedule, PLUS you can drive to the coast ... visit the Shrine of St Therese, Eagle Beach, and drive to Roads End, looking for wildlife/sealife the entire way (45 miles) .

http://www.traveljuneau.com/cms/d/juneau_area_map.php

KETCHIKAN - be sure to have a back up plan in case your flight is weathered out. I'm a big fan of Totem Bight ... fascinating display and a beautiful waterfront setting . http://www.experienceketchikan.com/things-to-do-in-alaska.html

If you have time after your flight, pick up a map for walking tour of the town...Creek St, Married Mans Trail, fish ladder. There might be a map in the link above

Victoria - what is your port time? Butchart Gardens is spectacular but keep in mind that it's a good 30 minutes away.

So we are on NCL Pearl in August, stopping in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Victoria. Have spent way too much time on these boards researcheing, re-researching and re-re-researching, and have come up with a preliminary excursion itinerary.

But as the travel planner of the family, I am always paranoid that the decisions are not the right ones. And since this is a one-shot deal (kids are getting older, and we are not getting to Alaska with them again any time soon), I want to do it right. So I am asking for your opinions. Yes, I actually want to hear them - good, bad, indifferent, etc. So here goes:

FYI - travelers are myself, my wife, college-age daughter and hig school age son, as well as MIL.

Juneau - this is the only one I am not sure on. I know we want to go to Mendenhall, and I think we will just take the bus, so we can do what we want at our pace. Would also like to take the Mount Roberts Tramway and see the views afterwards. We are in Juneau from 2 p.m. - 10 p.m. Do we have time to do both? If we do both, will it be too close to sunset/twilight to see anything meaningful from the top of the tram? Your thoughts?

Skagway - Plan on the White Pass Railroad one way and then biking back down the 15 miles to town. Sounds exhilarating (and yes, I have read some of the negative reviews about the busy roads, but the majority of reviews seem positive). My only concern here - and it is silly - is that we are all decent bikers, but my kids have never biked down (or up) hill, being Floridians. Do you think this will be an issue? Also, my MIL may skip this one, but I welcome thoughts on whether this one is a good idea for her. If we split up at the end of the train ride, and she takes a bus or van back, would there be any problems with her getting back to the ship without my able assistance?

Ketchikan - Doing Misty Fjord flighsteeing. Right now I am leaning toward Island Wings due to reviews, but can easily be swayed elsewhere. Should we book anything else? We are only in town until 1:30, so I figured an early morning flight, but then we will have quite a bit of time left.

Victoria - Butchart Gardens. I am not sure about a night-time visit, but the place sounds lovely, and I don't know when we will be back that way again. But besides this, can anyone recommend someplace different for dinner? No need to get a good or fancy restaurant recommendation - we can eat at those places here in town. I am looking for someplace unique that we could not find elsewhere. Something like a Durgin Park in Boston, Max Brenner's in NYC (yes, I know that one is a chain), or Barton G's in South Beach. Or even someplace fun like a Dick's Last Resort (my son loves that one).

I'm listening . . .

Thanks.

For Mendenhall, You may want to consider renting a car, you then could add a few more stops, like the Hatchery, Brewery, Chapel on the Lake, St. Theresa' Shrine etc? the tram is simple walk up add on. Steps away from your cruise ship shuttle bus pick up/drop off. It is worthwhile although costly option to go at night time. Very beautiful view of the ships lit up.

I have done the Klondike biking. I am one who does not recommend it. It's only a short portion of the potential of the Klondike Highway, and there were some unfit riders, you don't too far at a time, always stopping and pulling off the road. No bike paths. This tour will run in all weather, so a miserable tour, if cold/rainy. I have a much better time biking out to Dyea. :) As you already state, this is your choice with many people enjoying this tour. However, you don't just get on any railcar you want. The bike tour people will be grouped together, and seated in a particular railcar. Other tours will be separate and in different assigned rail cars. There is NO way to go car to car. You will be in one car only. Don't expect any exceptions for this.

Ketchikan, if you have any interest in bear viewing, this is an alternative suggestion. I highly recommend Southeast Aviation- going out with them every year. :) There is plenty to see and do with short walks around the downtown area.

Victoria- your entire port time will be taken up with Butchart Gardens. You should also be there for part of the fireworks. There is also an independent shuttle service that my sister used last year.

I sailed the Pearl last year- I surprised my sister's first visit to Alaska by crashing her trip. :)

KETCHIKAN - be sure to have a back up plan in case your flight is weathered out. I'm a big fan of Totem Bight ... fascinating display and a beautiful waterfront setting . http://www.experienceketchikan.com/things-to-do-in-alaska.html

If you have time after your flight, pick up a map for walking tour of the town...Creek St, Married Mans Trail, fish ladder. There might be a map in the link above

Victoria - what is your port time? Butchart Gardens is spectacular but keep in mind that it's a good 30 minutes away.

Unfortunately with the Pearl port time is only until 1:30p, I recommend keeping a 3 hour window for Totem Bight using the city bus. I would suggest the latest return bus be 12:13p. So the last bus leaving Ketchikan be the 9:26a Would depend on the flight schedule if an option.

Victoria- your entire port time will be taken up with Butchart Gardens. You should also be there for part of the fireworks. There is also an independent shuttle service that my sister used last year.

I did not realize Butchart was so far away. So is it worth taking up our entire night? I don't mind going there if it is worth it. We are trying to do something we can't do elsewhere for each excursion, so I'm not sure we would just want to walk around inner harbor as an alternative.

And thanks for all of the good feedback so far.

I did not realize Butchart was so far away. So is it worth taking up our entire night? I don't mind going there if it is worth it. We are trying to do something we can't do elsewhere for each excursion, so I'm not sure we would just want to walk around inner harbor as an alternative.

they have a very informative web site for you to look over. Depends on you. :)

Butchart Gardens is beautiful particularly if you like flowers. I think it is well worth the trip. If you have the time you can be dropped off at the inner harbor after the garden tour and take the shuttle back to the ship.

• 1 month later...

Butchart Gardens is truly lovely and has spectacular lights for the evening (in addition to the fireworks). They also have a v good dining room - so you could eat and wander if you like. It is best to splurge and get a private shuttle or taxi to get there - that way you will make the most of your time.

In Ketchikan last week we used Taquan Air for a Mysty Fjords tour and it was one of the highlights of the trip. The views were magnificent. Landing on a glacier lake and walking around on the floats was a once in a lifetime event. Didn't expect this out of the tour, but wouldn't miss it again.