Vancouver Hotels

I kept hearing how expensive hotels are in Vancouver. I did find a lot of pricey ones, but there is an equal amount of less expensive hotels that look very nice.

We are flying into Vancouver for a cruise. We want to stay near Canada Place. I found the Sutten Place Hotel in City Center and only .7 km to Canada Place.

Does anyone know if the hotels near the pier offer shuttle service (free or for a fee) to the pier. Any comments on the Sutten Place hotel are welcomed.

Looking at other posts, I am guessing it will be about $35 CD from YVR to the hotel.

thanks for any feedback.

Sutton Place is now owned by the Sandman Hotel chain - they have been a top rated 4 or 5 star hotel in the past.

They are centrally located and about a $10 -$12 taxi ride to the port.

Don't know if that Hotel has a shuttle to the port.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Dennis

I agree looking at hotels away from the port offers savings and availability on busy dates.

The Sutton is a half-block away from Robson street. Lots of restaurants and retail choices. If it's in your budget, it's a great choice.

For more savings in the area... check out the Blue Horizon and the Empire Landmark.

Yes hotel to airport is about $35.

Edited by xlxo

Sutton is precisely $31+gratuity for a cab from YVR - it's in the Downtown/Kits zone rather than Canada Place. If you're on a RT cruise the fare back to the airport is metered and $35 is a good estimate.

Very few hotels with shuttles, as Vancouver is very compact. Even if it does have a shuttle, unless you pay for a specific 'cruise rate' room which specifies that shuttle to pier is included, you'll be fighting every other cruising guest for the shuttle that morning... there are no downtown cruise shuttles that circle hotels as the distances make it simply impractical to make money on; nobody in their right mind would spend even $5pp when virtually every downtown hotel is within a $10 cab ride even allowing for the traffic bottleneck at the entrance to Canada Place.

Personally, if walking with your bags seems to annoying, I'd cab over early (10am), drop bags with the longshoremen (officially from 10:30am, in practise from as early as 9:30am) then wander around Gastown enjoying the sights before boarding.

You could even do justice to a HOHO tour (whole loop is about 2 hours, so plenty of time to get off at a couple of sights for photos etc.) and come back after 2pm to board - 3pm if it's a 3-ship day.

Hotels that offer a transfer to Canada Place include the Hampton Inn on Robson, the Best Western-Downtown on Drake and the Executive Hotel-Vantage Park on Howe St. However as most downtown hotels are a $10 to $12 from Canada Place, I would be inclined to focus more on the hotel rate rather then whether it has a transfer to the pier.

Well since we don't know what your budget is and what you consider expensive, I'll throw my hat into the ring for the Fairmont Waterfront Hotel, right across the street from Canada Place. It is glorious. We paid extra for a "Signature Harbour View Room" and it was worth every penny. DH set up his camera for a time lapse and we saw our ship come in at 6 am, truly fantastic. :)

We simply walked across the street to the cruise ship terminal in the morning.

http://www.fairmont.com/waterfront-vancouver/