Maho by Bus?

Have read a couple posts but still not sure about a bus to Maho. Docking in Phillipsburg (RCI Independence).

It would appears we could walk to the bus station but there is also mention of having to take a water taxi.

Question can we walk from where the ship docks? Estimated distance?

Here is what I have figured for 4 bus is $2 each water taxi if needed is $3 each.

So 4x$2x2 = $16 for bus.

Water taxi (if needed)4x$3x2 =$24 for a total of $40

For cab from port to Maho would be 4x$9x2=$72

Is this figured correctly?

Thanks

Edited by looking4info

When I was on St. Maarten, I rented a car and it was quite reasonable. Sadly, I am unable to find the email from my reservation (2012) but it allowed me to check out the whole island at my own pace. Parking at Maho may be challenging, but I liked the freedom of going where /when I wanted.

I believe that the taxi rate you mention is correct, but I hear of imminent changes to the entire rate structure. I doubt that the change will amount to more than a dollar per person per trip.

The Water Taxi is $5 one way or $7 for an all-day pass.

th_DSCN0374.jpg

(click)

There is not a 'bus station' in Philipsburg, but just the route that the buses follow down Back Street, one block over from the main shopping along Frontstreet. Look for a sign that says Bus Stop or Bus Halte. I know that there is a marked stop directly behind the Courthouse.

th_court.jpg th_DSCN3649.jpg th_bus.jpg th_DSCF0573.jpg

It is an easy level walk, if sometimes hot (or wet) from the Cruise Facility into town. From the main gate into town near the Courthouse is about 3/4 mile.

The bus stop in Maho is near the Roundabout. The return stop is at the Sonesta Maho, across the street.

th_mahodistances.jpg

gary

gary

Have read a couple posts but still not sure about a bus to Maho. Docking in Phillipsburg (RCI Independence).

It would appears we could walk to the bus station but there is also mention of having to take a water taxi.

Question can we walk from where the ship docks? Estimated distance?

Here is what I have figured for 4 bus is $2 each water taxi if needed is $3 each.

So 4x$2x2 = $16 for bus.

Water taxi (if needed)4x$3x2 =$24 for a total of $40

For cab from port to Maho would be 4x$9x2=$72

Is this figured correctly?

Thanks

To actually answer your question: yes.

You can either take the water taxi or walk to the town. To catch a bus you go to the 2nd east-west running major street (it's one-way east). Bus should be clearly labeled "Maho". From Maho it's about as far to Mullet Beach (much larger and nicer) as it is from the pier to town. Maybe less far.

To actually answer your question: yes.

You can either take the water taxi or walk to the town. To catch a bus you go to the 2nd east-west running major street (it's one-way east). Bus should be clearly labeled "Maho". From Maho it's about as far to Mullet Beach (much larger and nicer) as it is from the pier to town. Maybe less far.

A few points so we don't confuse the original poster.

Back Street is one-way, but traffic heads west.

A bus labeled Mullet or M'Bay or such will pass Maho, so that will get them there, as well.

From downtown Philipsburg to Maho is near seven miles by road, and from Maho to Mullet Bay Beach isn't more than 3/4 mile.

gary

• 2 weeks later...

How far ( taxi driving time) is Mullet from cruise ship dock?

Then, it sounds like we can walk from Mullet to Maho, correct? Easy walk? Well marked? On road or beach?

Cab back to port from Maho? Cost and timing? Is a bus back an option?