Spending a Day on St. John

Host Anne

tigger ~ ask at Guest Relations the day before you arrive in St. Thomas what deck and what part of the ship (forward/mid/aft) you will be disembarking from. Then I suggest waiting in the closest lounge area to that part of the ship so when they announce you can disembark you are close and ready to go.

ENJOY!

Thank you Anne. We leave in a couple of weeks and are excited to see St. John.

If you're looking for tons of stores selling everything from trinkets to duty free liquor to high-end watches Charlotte Amalie is your place. For a more relaxed experience with fewer stores and people Cruz Bay is well worth the visit. Nice quality Hook bracelets at St John Bracelet Co...

Thank you blue water! Looking forward to visiting!

We are planning on taking an RCCL ferry excursion that will take us to St. John's. When you get off the ferry do you then have to cab it to Trunk Bay? How far is it and does anyone know the approx. cost for 2? Thanks :)

Edited by fish6

fish6 ~ yes, when you get off the ferry you'll be in Cruz Bay and will need to take a taxi (open air safari taxi) to Trunk Bay. The cost is now $8 per person. If you are traveling with others, the per person price drops and is published as $6 per person. Discuss with your taxi driver before heading to the beach. It's only a 10 minute drive to Trunk Bay. There is a $4 entrance fee to Trunk Bay. Taxi's to take you back to meet your ferry are plentiful at Trunk. I'll be doing the same excursion next month! :)

ENJOY!!!

Edited by Host Anne

I know this has been posted before, but just checking for an update. Coming from the NCL Getaway, per person to/from St. John on our own would be about $50-60?

This includes:

1. Taxi from Ship to Red Hook

2. Ferry from Red Hook to Cruz Bay

3. Taxi from Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay or Cinnamon Beach

4. Taxi from beach to Cruz Bay

5. Ferry from Cruz Bay to Red Hook

6. Taxi from Red Hook to Ship

Am I correct? Thanks!

Thanks blue water! Such a help as always...I think we're going to do St. John's on our own as we're learning towards Kuralu/Patouche/Aristocat cat excursion for Tortola

What a great day in the BVI - we're jealous! :p

Sounds like a couple of excellent ideas!

Kenns ~ just got back from St. John. Current pricing for doing it on your own is:

Taxi to Red Hook Round Trip

$20 - $26 (depends on the number in your party)

Ferry Round Trip

$14

Taxi to Beach Round Trip

$12 - $18 (depends on the number in your party and which beach you go to)

Admission to Trunk Bay

$4

So plan on $50 - $60 per person depending on the number of people in your party and which beach you go to.

We've done Patouche before. Great excursion.

ENJOY!

Thanks for all the great information. We'll be on Oasis next month which docks at Crown Bay. We've been to St. Thomas before, but not St. John. We're only there from 10am -7pm, but were hoping to see some of St. John - possibly Trunk Bay. Trying to decide between ship excursions that get us to Cruz Bay (and take a cab to Trunk Bay) or try it on our own. Ship offers 2 excursions that allow for self-exploring (Self-Explore St. John, and St. John Cruise & Beaches) - but the descriptions are confusing, especially when it comes to how long we are actually on the island and how long the excursions are. Has anyone done either of these excursions? Both ship excursions leave at 11:45am, and it appears that they are 6 and hours long. That would bring us back at 6:15pm - too close to ship departure for my liking (plus we have the early dinner seating). Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the great information. We'll be on Oasis next month which docks at Crown Bay. We've been to St. Thomas before, but not St. John. We're only there from 10am -7pm, but were hoping to see some of St. John - possibly Trunk Bay. Trying to decide between ship excursions that get us to Cruz Bay (and take a cab to Trunk Bay) or try it on our own. Ship offers 2 excursions that allow for self-exploring (Self-Explore St. John, and St. John Cruise & Beaches) - but the descriptions are confusing, especially when it comes to how long we are actually on the island and how long the excursions are. Has anyone done either of these excursions? Both ship excursions leave at 11:45am, and it appears that they are 6 and hours long. That would bring us back at 6:15pm - too close to ship departure for my liking (plus we have the early dinner seating). Any input would be appreciated.

As a first timer, take a ship excursion. Going on a ship excursion ensures that they will not leave without you.

Scooby ~ I have done the St. John excursion through the cruise line before and we are doing it again on Oasis in three weeks (what sailing are you on?). We are on the St. John Cruise & Beaches excursion ($44 per person). You don't have to worry about getting back to the ship on time when you are on an excursion booked through Royal Caribbean. Besides, if I'm going to be left somewhere, I want it to be here!!! :)

All kidding aside, the St. John Cruise & Beaches gives us about 3 1/2 hours on the island after cruising the beautiful north shore. It's a short taxi ride to the north shore beaches after they drop us off in Cruz Bay.

You could probably do anytime dining that evening if necessary or enjoy one of the other restaurants (buffet, pizza that are complimentary).

Let me know if you have other questions. Just got back from St. John and can't wait to step on the island again!!!

The champagne cat is also a nice way to experience STJ through the ship. We prefer the self-excursion since the transportation is so easy and so reliable but it's a matter of how adventurous one is, and more importantly how much time you want on the island, going on your own via Red Hook usually gives you the most time there.

We'd suggest taking the opportunity to dine on St Thomas rather than on the ship with your late departure. Excellent choices and you can enjoy a truly romantic dinner overlooking the beautiful bay at the Magolie Hotel Restaurant? Then you can still get back to your balcony or deck toe joy the beautiful island view as you sail out. ;)

Scooby ~ I have done the St. John excursion through the cruise line before and we are doing it again on Oasis in three weeks (what sailing are you on?). We are on the St. John Cruise & Beaches excursion ($44 per person). You don't have to worry about getting back to the ship on time when you are on an excursion booked through Royal Caribbean. Besides, if I'm going to be left somewhere, I want it to be here!!! :)

All kidding aside, the St. John Cruise & Beaches gives us about 3 1/2 hours on the island after cruising the beautiful north shore. It's a short taxi ride to the north shore beaches after they drop us off in Cruz Bay.

You could probably do anytime dining that evening if necessary or enjoy one of the other restaurants (buffet, pizza that are complimentary).

Let me know if you have other questions. Just got back from St. John and can't wait to step on the island again!!!

Anne: We must be on the same sailing -June 27th - too funny! There are 12 of us sailing, and only some of us want to do St. John. I'm having a hard time convincing those that want to do St. John to skip our dinner seating (they want to dine with the rest of the group). It looks like the St. John Cruise & Beaches tour leaves from SA @11:45am. Since we get into port at 10:00am, that leave us some time on the front end. I'm thinking of trying to do it ourselves and take a taxi to Red Hook and try to get the 11:00am ferry over to Cruz Bay, putting us there around 11:20am. If we planned on taking the 3:00pm ferry back to Red Hook, that would give us plenty of time to take the longer taxi ride back to the ship (and allow for traffic). Doing it this way would give us about 3 1/2 hours on St. John and still make our dinner seating (I'm trying to please everyone...). I would love to see a little of St. John (beach and a little sightseeing/shopping). Do you think this is doable, or are we crazy and should we just skip St. John? Thanks for your advice.

The champagne cat is also a nice way to experience STJ through the ship. We prefer the self-excursion since the transportation is so easy and so reliable but it's a matter of how adventurous one is, and more importantly how much time you want on the island, going on your own via Red Hook usually gives you the most time there.

We'd suggest taking the opportunity to dine on St Thomas rather than on the ship with your late departure. Excellent choices and you can enjoy a truly romantic dinner overlooking the beautiful bay at the Magolie Hotel Restaurant? Then you can still get back to your balcony or deck toe joy the beautiful island view as you sail out. ;)

Thanks Blue. I would love to skip our dinner seating, but we have 12 in our group and only some of us want to do St. John - and those that do, want to dine with the rest of the group at our 6pm seating. Ugh! I've always wanted to see some of St. John. We might try to do it ourselves via Red Hook and try to get the 11am ferry over and the 3pm ferry back. That would still give us 3 and 1/2 hours on STJ. Given that we would be at the beaches around 11:30am which beach would you suggest (Trunk Bay, Cinnamon, etc.)? Thanks!

Scooby ~ small world!!! You would easily make early seating dinner if you took the 3:00 PM ferry back. The new high speed ferries are awesome (no more than 15 minutes across the sound) and considering it's low season (only two other ships in port with us instead of the typical 5 - 7) and they both leave before us. You could even take the 4:00 PM ferry and make it back in time for early seating dinner in all likelihood. With a 7:00 PM departure, it would be tough to really enjoy dinner on shore. I'd much rather spend as much time as possible on St. John.

I'm sailing with others, too, or I'd prefer to do St. John on my own.

A word of caution....it's tough to get taxis to take you immediately to Red Hook from Crown Bay. They insist on waiting until they fill. That means there is a good chance you'll miss the ferry from Red Hook which only goes every hour on the hour. So if we arrive at 10:00 AM, we have to clear customs (because we'll have stopped in Nassau) and that means you will likely not be able to make the 11:00 AM ferry. This is another reason we've chosen to take the ferry through Royal Caribbean.

Good luck in your decision....it's really nice that you are working hard to accommodate your entire group. Let me know if you have any other questions...hope to see you at the CC meet and mingle!

Scooby ~ small world!!! You would easily make early seating dinner if you took the 3:00 PM ferry back. The new high speed ferries are awesome (no more than 15 minutes across the sound) and considering it's low season (only two other ships in port with us instead of the typical 5 - 7) and they both leave before us. You could even take the 4:00 PM ferry and make it back in time for early seating dinner in all likelihood. With a 7:00 PM departure, it would be tough to really enjoy dinner on shore. I'd much rather spend as much time as possible on St. John.

I'm sailing with others, too, or I'd prefer to do St. John on my own.

A word of caution....it's tough to get taxis to take you immediately to Red Hook from Crown Bay. They insist on waiting until they fill. That means there is a good chance you'll miss the ferry from Red Hook which only goes every hour on the hour. So if we arrive at 10:00 AM, we have to clear customs (because we'll have stopped in Nassau) and that means you will likely not be able to make the 11:00 AM ferry. This is another reason we've chosen to take the ferry through Royal Caribbean.

Good luck in your decision....it's really nice that you are working hard to accommodate your entire group. Let me know if you have any other questions...hope to see you at the CC meet and mingle!

Anne - Thanks so much for the info. I didn't realize there could be a problem clearing customs, or that we would have to wait for a taxi. I thought we could get off the ship at 10am and easily get the 11am ferry. I heard it's only about a 30 minute ride. The problem with the ferry with Royal is that it comes back too late. It leaves out of SA , and it's about 45 minutes to STJ, right? The ferry from Red Hook is only about 15 mins. If we can't get the 11am ferry from Red Hook, it's not looking good for STJ for us. It seems crazy to go through all that for only a couple hours on STJ. Maybe I can convince DH to take the 4pm ferry (not holding out much hope for that!). See you at the meet and mingle. Thanks!

Taxis wait to fill up at both ports but many folks who make the Red Hook trek every visit report getting to Red Hook within the hour for the next ferry as long as they aren't delayed getting off the ship. Especially on days with only 3 ships in port and the other 2 are both docked at Havensight (lucky timing!). So for someone wanting to get the most time on STJ I think it just seems such a waste of valuable time to take the ship excursion but that's just our humble opinion. It's certainly an easy option, but again the choice is a matter of perspective and how much flexibility one wants. I do like the recommendation for the cat option (Champagne cat and others) for those wanting a tour of the shore followed by a little time on STJ. But for the most time at Cinnamon and in Cruz Bay obviously the ferry is the way to go.

A nice dinner on STT does eat into ones limited time (pun intended) :p, but it is definitely doable for someone wanting a unique experience and not in the MDR one evening, you just budget that into your time. We have favorite restaurants and haunts in different destinations that we look forward to seeing again, often because of the people there. But St Thomas is a great port for a later departure and nice sunset dinners. Scooby Gal that isn't an option for you I know, but just a thought for others who may have similar interests and no plans back on the ship.

Edited by blue_water

Scooby ~ our posted arrival time into St. Thomas is 10:00 AM. We could arrive earlier but you can't count on that. Customs normally goes quickly (and those with shore excursions normally get to go first) but again, we won't know until we get there. I'd say the chances of making an 11:00 AM Red Hook ferry on arrival day are slim but not out of the question.

The ferry ride with Royal from Crown Bay is about 45 minutes. The taxi to Red Hook plus ferry ride amounts to about the same amount of travel time. Depending on which Royal excursion you'd book you could be there in the same amount of time.

We've only tried to go to St. John from Crown Bay once and that was on our first Oasis cruise two years ago. Taxis were not filling quickly to head to Red Hook and there wasn't one that would leave before they were full which meant we were not going to make the ferry that left on the hour. I definitely wouldn't count on making the 11:00 AM ferry from Crown Bay unless we arrive early and your entire group is heading to St. John so you literally fill a taxi on your own.

My suggestion is to play it by ear. See what time we arrive and then make your decision. If you can be in a taxi and heading to Red Hook by 10:20 - 10:25, I'd go for it.

See you at the M&M! Happy Countdown!

Anne: Thanks again for the great info. We're going to take your advice and play it by ear. If we don't make the 11:00am ferry then we still may take the 12:00pm ferry. That will give us several hours on STJ. It'll just be DH and me (the others decided it was too much of a hassle). My SIL (who did the STJ trek on her own before) made a good point: "making the journey to STJ isn't a waste of time - just enjoy the beautiful scenery". Sounds good to me.

My SIL (who did the STJ trek on her own before) made a good point: "making the journey to STJ isn't a waste of time - just enjoy the beautiful scenery". Sounds good to me.

She's right, great point! We often stay on Sapphire Beach on STT Following a stay on Tortola, and we make the drive from the airport and Crown Bay area into Red Hook and that ride is a nice part of the journey to STJ. And the 15 min ferry from RH into Cruz Bay is just the right distance, we much prefer that over the 45 min ferry from the port which can be a bit rough.

Just a great, easy and more adventurous self-excursion option for STJ, especially for a couple. If a nice day try to get a seat on the top ferry deck and enjoy the view and air!

[EDIT] didn't mean to bud in but we do applaud your decision to taxi to RH, you'll enjoy the journey together on your own, and you'll meet other couples who do that every year.

Edited by blue_water

Hi! Everybody!

Sorry, maybe you guys already talked about it, but it's a long 11 pages tread to go trought! :eek:

Does anyone of you use the St-Thomas tour compagny to do a St-John tour? :confused:

http://www.stthomastour.com/

Never been to St-John and so would like an island tour with some time at beach.

Some friend of mine recommended St-Thomas tour, but any input would be appraciated!

Thanks!