Vancouver Taxi

From the cruise port in Vancouver to the airport via taxi do they accept US money? Would it be better to pay in Canadian dollars? How much do they usually charge? Taking alternatate transportation isn't an option...must take cab.

Thanks

From the cruise port in Vancouver to the airport via taxi do they accept US money? Would it be better to pay in Canadian dollars? How much do they usually charge? Taking alternatate transportation isn't an option...must take cab.

Thanks

The fare is approximately $45 CDN. Yes they take US dollars .

Why not take the shared shuttle to to airport . The fare is $15 CDN per person and runs about every 15 to 30 minutes depending on demand.

Thanks

I would just use a credit card for the $35 to $45 carload.

Ditto on using a credit card - all Vancouver taxis should take all the major cards.

No cabbie is *required* to accept cash except Canadian, so if you do plan to pay with cash ensure you ask *before* you get in if they will take it and what exchange rate they'll give.

Depending how close our dollars are at the time, expect to get with with anything from a 5% to 15% exchange rate in the cabbies favour (i.e. 2 to 6 times higher than most credit cards charge...) as anything more than about 85 cents to the dollar often just gets rounded to Par.

I would recommend that you check with your credit card company about their foreign transaction fees before using a credit card for your cab fare. Living about half time in AZ and I have a BofA Visa card and am always outraged about their foreign transaction fees whenever I use the card outside of the U.S. I quite agree that no cabbie is required to accept the USD for the fare but I have never heard of anyone saying no...I would expect that they are going to allow you about a 0 to 10% premium on your USD ..... which may prove to be cheaper than the foreign transaction fee and the exchange rate the CC company is going to levy.

• 3 weeks later...

Some years ago, Vancouver cabbies got their knuckles wrapped over customer service. I think you'll find they are much more gracious than they used to be. But the exchange rate will not be generous to you. Your change will be Canadian coins which you cannot usually use in the U.S. There is also now a guaranteed fare zone from the airport to downtown for $35 but I don't know if that is set for the return trip. It does not include tip.

Some years ago, Vancouver cabbies got their knuckles wrapped over customer service. I think you'll find they are much more gracious than they used to be. But the exchange rate will not be generous to you. Your change will be Canadian coins which you cannot usually use in the U.S. There is also now a guaranteed fare zone from the airport to downtown for $35 but I don't know if that is set for the return trip. It does not include tip.

Downtown from the airport has a number of fare zones . Taxi fares to the airport are metered .

Here is a link to a fare calculator for vancouver

http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Vancouver

Downtown from the airport has a number of fare zones . Taxi fares to the airport are metered .

Here is a link to a fare calculator for vancouver

http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Vancouver

umm, more incorrect information. The fares from the airport to Vancouver and Richmond have now been flat rated. However, fares returning to the airport are metered. Here is the link:

http://www.yvr.ca/en/getting-to-from-yvr/taxis.aspx

Actually this time K50 has it spot on PD - I think you misread his reply. I guess you could quibble that it's not JUST downtown that's now fixed rate, rather all of Vancouver/Richmond etc., but he had the key element (rate zones from YVR, metered to YVR) correct...

Actually this time K50 has it spot on PD - I think you misread his reply. I guess you could quibble that it's not JUST downtown that's now fixed rate, rather all of Vancouver/Richmond etc., but he had the key element (rate zones from YVR, metered to YVR) correct...

Yes . I think PD miss read the reply . The link only applies for taxi fares that are only within Vancouver and to YVR . PD's link is for taxi's from the YVR only.