FLL to MIA tri-rail?

awarren114

Has anyone used the tri-rail to get from FLL to MIA? We will probably fly into FLL since it's cheaper. We will then go on to Miami to stay the night before leaving on our cruise. It looks like the tri-rail is reasonably priced and fairly quick (less than an hour). From MIA, we would take a taxi/uber/shuttle/whatever to our hotel. Has anyone done this or can anyone offer any insight? TIA! :)

I don't know how cost effective it is compared to the convenience of using a shuttle service like SAS. Tri Rail might save you a few dollars but not a lot (shuttle is about $15 per person), and the train doesn't run on demand. You have to shuttle over to the Tri Rail, wait for the train, then shuttle again to your hotel. Have a look at the Tri Rail website for the timetables for the time and day you plan to arrive at FLL and see if you think it will work out for you.

WE have done this several times and it is really easy. In fact we are doing it again this winter. The last time we did it it cost $3 per person for the trip from FLL to Mia. It you can handle your luggage by yourself I see no reason not to use it. However if you take everything but the kitchen sink you will be better off using the shuttle. Also the tri rail could be faster depending on rush hour traffic.

Edited by Bobocasey

The problem is that the Tri-Rail goes to the MIA airport, which leaves you a $25+tip cab ride away from the port. There are a few budget hotels near the MIA airport that offer "free" port shuttles, but the area is not attractive or fun. :( There are some public transport options that will get you from MIA to downtown (most of the locals suggest not riding them :eek:), but you are still a $12 or so cab ride from POM.

Easier and more cost effective IMHO is to stay near FLL and ride an inexpensive shuttle to POM - fares start at about $15 each way and most of the popular services (SAS, QLS, et.) list the hotels they will pick-up at on their web page, saving you a ride back to the FLL airport just to catch your shuttle. www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and hotel info. :cool:

WE have done this several times and it is really easy. In fact we are doing it again this winter. The last time we did it it cost $3 per person for the trip from FLL to Mia. It you can handle your luggage by yourself I see no reason not to use it. However if you take everything but the kitchen sink you will be better off using the shuttle. Also the tri rail could be faster depending on rush hour traffic.

The problem is that the Tri-Rail goes to the MIA airport, which leaves you a $25+tip cab ride away from the port. There are a few budget hotels near the MIA airport that offer "free" port shuttles, but the area is not attractive or fun. :( There are some public transport options that will get you from MIA to downtown (most of the locals suggest not riding them :eek:), but you are still a $12 or so cab ride from POM.

Easier and more cost effective IMHO is to stay near FLL and ride an inexpensive shuttle to POM - fares start at about $15 each way and most of the popular services (SAS, QLS, et.) list the hotels they will pick-up at on their web page, saving you a ride back to the FLL airport just to catch your shuttle. www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and hotel info. :cool:

Bob,

Given John's comments, did you go to MIA or transfer out at the Metro Transfer station to Metro Rail? If former, did you stay overnight at a hotel that had a shuttle to POM the next morning? If latter, which stop did you get off at, Old Town/Lyric or Government Center? And then what was the taxi fare to the port from there? Or did you stay at one of the hotels around Bayside Place?

Edited by crewsweeper

Has anyone used the tri-rail to get from FLL to MIA? We will probably fly into FLL since it's cheaper. We will then go on to Miami to stay the night before leaving on our cruise. It looks like the tri-rail is reasonably priced and fairly quick (less than an hour). From MIA, we would take a taxi/uber/shuttle/whatever to our hotel. Has anyone done this or can anyone offer any insight? TIA! :)

Hahaha! Less than an hour? No.

If you stay downtown Miami, you need to transfer to the Metrorail.

You could always take the TriRail to the airport then cab it to wherever you are staying. If you are staying out on the beach, you can take the Airport Flyer to the beach for less than $3 a person.

The Tri Rail always takes me $5.25 to get to the Metrorail station which is before the airport so I don't know how the airport is only $3.

I would just take a shuttle like SAS for $15 and be done with it.

Much faster.

Tri rail website says 45 minutes or so from FLL to MIA. Service is hourly, except from 4-8pm on weekdays when it's every half hour. $3.75 weekday, $5 weekend.

The last time we road the tri rail was a couple of years ago. We rode it to the airport from FLL. Check out hotels that run shuttles from the MIA airport. Either you will have to book one of them or pay the cab fare/shuttle to the hotel.

The last time we road the tri rail was a couple of years ago. We rode it to the airport from FLL. Check out hotels that run shuttles from the MIA airport. Either you will have to book one of them or pay the cab fare/shuttle to the hotel.

So you ride the tri-Rail from FLL to MIA, then ride the shuttle from MIA to your hotel, all to get a "free shuttle" to POM - I don't see the logic. :confused: There are a few budget hotels near the MIA airport that offer "free" port shuttles, but the area is not attractive or fun. :(

IMHO you are better off staying near FLL (where hotels tend to be cheaper than comparable properties in Miami) and the area is MUCH nicer than the area around MIA, and then using a cheap ($15) shared shuttle to get to POM. But it is your vacation/cruise - good luck! :)

So you ride the tri-Rail from FLL to MIA, then ride the shuttle from MIA to your hotel, all to get a "free shuttle" to POM - I don't see the logic. :confused: There are a few budget hotels near the MIA airport that offer "free" port shuttles, but the area is not attractive or fun. :(

IMHO you are better off staying near FLL (where hotels tend to be cheaper than comparable properties in Miami) and the area is MUCH nicer than the area around MIA, and then using a cheap ($15) shared shuttle to get to POM. But it is your vacation/cruise - good luck! :)

I agree with John.

Hi, quick question for you... My hotel is right in downtown Miami and a block away from the Metro Mover so I am considering the tri rail. It would cost about 40. to take a shuttle from the airport to my hotel so this is obviously more cost effective. Was it safe? I mean I have taken trains into NYC and been fine alone so I am thinking FLL to Miami should be ok too? Thoughts?

The Tri-Rail will get you to the MIA airport where you will either need to transfer to other public transport (bus, metro-rail or taxi) to get to your downtown hotel. Taxi will cost $25+, add that to your Tri-Rail fare and you've spent about $30. :confused:

I will leave it to locals to comment on safety, but the time and hassle factor would push me to either find another transport option, or better yet find a hotel in the FLL area and then shuttle to Miami in the morning when lots of shared shuttle options (for about $15 per person) are available.

Hi, quick question for you... My hotel is right in downtown Miami and a block away from the Metro Mover so I am considering the tri rail. It would cost about 40. to take a shuttle from the airport to my hotel so this is obviously more cost effective. Was it safe? I mean I have taken trains into NYC and been fine alone so I am thinking FLL to Miami should be ok too? Thoughts?

NYC city is a lot safer than Miami.

I would not take the Metro after dark alone. There have been times I have not felt safe during broad daylight on it. The Metro goes through some of the worst zip codes in the US.