Embarking at pier 93, debarking at berth 46, San Pedro

calisilent

Hi!

We were just informed that our ship is debarking at a different area than we are parked in for our upcoming cruise out of Los Angeles harbour. Does anyone have experience with being shuttled from Berth 46 to the parking at Pier 93 in San Pedro? Specifically I am wondering about how long it might take for the shuttle and the ride back to pick up the rest of our party. DH and I had a return flight out of LAX leaving at 3:00pm. Yesterday, American Airlines changed our flight time to 1:00 (2 hours earlier!) and canceled the flight at 3:00pm. This means that in order to make that flight we were going to need to be through customs and into the parking lot by 10:30 am at the latest. I need to have an idea of how much more time I need to add to that for this new docking change.

I hate to have to rush off the ship at 8:00 am if I don't have to.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Cathy

Hi!

We were just informed that our ship is debarking at a different area than we are parked in for our upcoming cruise out of Los Angeles harbour. Does anyone have experience with being shuttled from Berth 46 to the parking at Pier 93 in San Pedro? Specifically I am wondering about how long it might take for the shuttle and the ride back to pick up the rest of our party. DH and I had a return flight out of LAX leaving at 3:00pm. Yesterday, American Airlines changed our flight time to 1:00 (2 hours earlier!) and canceled the flight at 3:00pm. This means that in order to make that flight we were going to need to be through customs and into the parking lot by 10:30 am at the latest. I need to have an idea of how much more time I need to add to that for this new docking change.

I hate to have to rush off the ship at 8:00 am if I don't have to.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Cathy

Cathy,

I have had Princess embarking at one dock in San Pedro and disembarking at another--but it was 93 and 92, so it was only disorienting to people who drove and parked, then walked off the ship and had trouble locating their car!

I am having a little trouble picturing what you are imagining here...I guess I need to know what Princess has told you...

IF you have no car parked at the embarkation pier, why would you need a shuttle at all? Or, are you driving from Denver and leaving a car at the pier? The latter would make some sense if you hadn't reported that you had a 1:00 pm flight...

So, let's assume you are flying INTO LAX as well...Why not just have a shuttle company or car service drop you off at 93 and pick you up at 46? Why would one of your party need to take a shuttle from one pier to the other and drive back to pick up the rest? It doesn't make much sense to rent a car at LAX then leave it for the duration of the cruise in the pier parking for $16 per day...You'd be paying the daily rate on the rental plus $16 for a car that would only remain inconveniently parked...

How many in your party? Contact Super Shuttle, for example, and ask about rates for both a shuttle and for their execucar service. A shared shuttle is only around $17 per person each way--certainly cheaper than the rental plus parking...depending on the size of your party, even a dedicated, rather than shared, shuttle may make sense.

With a 1:00 pm flight, you really shouldn't have much trouble making it to LAX with time to spare...it's only 20 miles from the port and takes about a half an hour, and even with the worst traffic, should take no more than an hour. Having someone pick you up at the disembarkation pier takes away any concern of extra logistics you may have.

Hi!

We were just emailed that the Ruby is debarking at Berth 46- a different area than we are parked in for our upcoming cruise out of Los Angeles harbour, Oct 25. Does the debarking take longer here than in Pier 93? I need to have an idea of how much more time I need to add to that for this new docking change since our airline changed our flight time to 1:00pm - 2 hours earlier than my original air fare purchase. I'm nervous.

Cathy,

I have had Princess embarking at one dock in San Pedro and disembarking at another--but it was 93 and 92, so it was only disorienting to people who drove and parked, then walked off the ship and had trouble locating their car!

I am having a little trouble picturing what you are imagining here...I guess I need to know what Princess has told you...

IF you have no car parked at the embarkation pier, why would you need a shuttle at all? Or, are you driving from Denver and leaving a car at the pier? The latter would make some sense if you hadn't reported that you had a 1:00 pm flight...

So, let's assume you are flying INTO LAX as well...Why not just have a shuttle company or car service drop you off at 93 and pick you up at 46? Why would one of your party need to take a shuttle from one pier to the other and drive back to pick up the rest? It doesn't make much sense to rent a car at LAX then leave it for the duration of the cruise in the pier parking for $16 per day...You'd be paying the daily rate on the rental plus $16 for a car that would only remain inconveniently parked...

How many in your party? Contact Super Shuttle, for example, and ask about rates for both a shuttle and for their execucar service. A shared shuttle is only around $17 per person each way--certainly cheaper than the rental plus parking...depending on the size of your party, even a dedicated, rather than shared, shuttle may make sense.

With a 1:00 pm flight, you really shouldn't have much trouble making it to LAX with time to spare...it's only 20 miles from the port and takes about a half an hour, and even with the worst traffic, should take no more than an hour. Having someone pick you up at the disembarkation pier takes away any concern of extra logistics you may have.

Steve...this is a new thread seeking info about leaving from berth 93 and returning at berth 46. It's a follow up question to a thread about 5 ships in port (4 in LA, 1 in LB) and I've included Cathy's post from the other thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2225559

Like me, SP is your "homeport" but I've never used 46 (described as for cruises & events) or 54 (described as a berth for frozen food) and near where the Lane Victory is now berthed. Thankfully I've never had to use 46 or 54 but did use 91 once in the tent as the 3rd ship to arrive & due to a shortage of CBP & immigration personnel disembarkation ran at least 90 minutes later than scheduled. Based on the aerial photo of the cruise port area, now that the USS Iowa is berthed it results in 91 (tent) no longer being useable for cruise ships.

Based on aerial photos of 46 there may be a parking structure there or it could be a building used to process passengers. Either way it appears that 46 (and even worse 54) would probably process passengers even slower plus require a shuttle to the berth 92/93 parking area.

I'd also suggest dropping off a rental car & taking a shuttle between the airport & cruise terminal. Although if 46 is as slow as my 91 experience, I wouldn't feel comfortable about making a 1:00 pm flight.

Cathy, I'd also be nervous if flying & you may not get a definitive answer to your question. If it were me due to the uncertainty of potential disembarkation delays, I would explain the situation to AA & request a later flight. When airlines have changed my flight time & it does not work for me they've been very accommodating in giving us another flight including rerouting if necessary. They moved up your departure time by 2 hours & they need to give you a later flight. It's doubtful to me if calling Princess would provide a definitive answer about what to expect.

Thankfully I've never had such an experience and hope to never have it but mine would be easier being able to drive home from the port. But based on my previous experience of a delay at the berth 91 overflow pier, it may be worse at berth 46.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Steve...this is a new thread seeking info about leaving from berth 93 and returning at berth 46. It's a follow up question to a thread about 5 ships in port (4 in LA, 1 in LB) and I've included Cathy's post from the other thread...

Seriously, I understand what was discussed in that other thread...but what the OP appears to be asking here has additional and different information. The OP specifically talks about one member of their party taking a cruise line shuttle back to the other pier to retrieve a vehicle , then return to 46 to pick up the rest of the party...and the logistical issues and time concerns covered in that.

IF one actually has a car, this is eased by parking at 46...but it begs the question of why someone flying in and out of LAX has a car in the first place.

Hence my response here...If the OP merely uses a shuttle or car service, the dock used becomes irrelevant...except for, maybe, the idea that disembarkation itself takes longer at 46. IMHO, this should NOT be a major issue...and a 1:00 pm domestic flight out of LAX should be easily doable...no matter which pier is used.

At first I was focused on the idea of retrieving one's car in the main lot (getting shuttled over there and then driving back to retrieve the others in their party plus luggage), but then I realize what Steve is saying -- is the OP parking a rental car?

Seriously, I understand what was discussed in that other thread...but what the OP appears to be asking here has additional and different information. The OP specifically talks about one member of their party taking a cruise line shuttle back to the other pier to retrieve a vehicle , then return to 46 to pick up the rest of the party...and the logistical issues and time concerns covered in that.

IF one actually has a car, this is eased by parking at 46...but it begs the question of why someone flying in and out of LAX has a car in the first place.

Hence my response here...If the OP merely uses a shuttle or car service, the dock used becomes irrelevant...except for, maybe, the idea that disembarkation itself takes longer at 46. IMHO, this should NOT be a major issue...and a 1:00 pm domestic flight out of LAX should be easily doable...no matter which pier is used.

Steve,

I should have explained better:

My parents are going with us and they are driving in to LA from Yuma Arizona. They will be picking up DH and I at LAX and then we will all drive to San Pedro, stay at the Best Western on Gaffey Street and then park his SUV at the parking lot at Pier 93 for embarkation. My parents will drive us back to LAX after the cruise and then drive back to Yuma. I looked at the ariel of Berth 46 and saw what looked like parking, but it appears to be parking for boats on trailers for the Marina only.

Princess said that there would be a shuttle from 46 back to 93 at debarkation. However, due to the logistics of getting as many people on the shuttle quickly, they want only ONE member of a cruise party to take the shuttle, WITHOUT bringing luggage, and pick up their parked car, drive to 46 and pick up their party and all the luggage.

In the ariel photo of 46 I don't see a cruise terminal that looks similar to the Princess 93. Where do we get processed through customs?

I think I either need to plan to get off the ship as soon as they let us at docking, or try to plead my case to American Airlines.

This is what it said in my Princess email:

EMBARKATION AND DISEMBARKATION PIER DETAILS

Please be advised that Ruby Princess will embark guests at Pier 93 on Sunday, October 25,2015 and disembark guests at Berth 46 on Sunday, November 1. Pier 93 is located at 100 Swinford Avenue, San Pedro, CA 90731. Berth 46 is located at 3011 Miner St., San Pedro, CA 90731. Guests with Princess transfers or a Cruise Plus hotel package will be transferred directly from Los Angeles International Airport or their hotel to Pier 93 on October 25, and from Berth 46 to Los Angeles International Airport or their hotel on November 01. Guests with independent transfer arrangements should be guided accordingly. Guests parking their car at Pier 93 for the duration of the cruise will be transported via complimentary shuttle from Berth 46 to the parking lot near the Pier 92 building on November 1. As the shuttles cannot accommodate all guests and their luggage, one member of your party will be transported back to pick up the rest of your party and your luggage. Please note, there is no long-term parking at Berth 46. We look forward to welcoming you on board Ruby Princess.

At first I was focused on the idea of retrieving one's car in the main lot (getting shuttled over there and then driving back to retrieve the others in their party plus luggage)' date=' but then I realize what Steve is saying -- is the OP parking a rental car?[/quote']

No rental car... it's my Dad's Grande Cherokee.

Seriously, you didn't post that you were aware of the other thread. We have different opinions & she can consider both of them to decide what is her best option.

I experienced a lengthy delay when being the 3rd ship to arrive in port because of a lack of sufficient personnel to process passengers. Hence I would not feel comfortable that there will be no delays at 46 & thus I'd request a later flight.

And as you know using CAPS on CC indicates shouting & think it's unnecessary to be shouting your opinions to indicate that your opinions are valid & mine are not valid.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Please be advised that Ruby Princess will embark guests at Pier 93 on Sunday, October 25,2015 and disembark guests at Berth 46 on Sunday, November 1. Pier 93 is located at 100 Swinford Avenue, San Pedro, CA 90731. Berth 46 is located at 3011 Miner St., San Pedro, CA 90731. Guests with Princess transfers or a Cruise Plus hotel package will be transferred directly from Los Angeles International Airport or their hotel to Pier 93 on October 25, and from Berth 46 to Los Angeles International Airport or their hotel on November 01. Guests with independent transfer arrangements should be guided accordingly. Guests parking their car at Pier 93 for the duration of the cruise will be transported via complimentary shuttle from Berth 46 to the parking lot near the Pier 92 building on November 1. As the shuttles cannot accommodate all guests and their luggage, one member of your party will be transported back to pick up the rest of your party and your luggage. Please note, there is no long-term parking at Berth 46. We look forward to welcoming you on board Ruby Princess.

Thanks for that info to better understand your situation & what could apply on other cruises when it's necessary to use berth 46. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

And as you know using CAPS on CC indicates shouting & think it's unnecessary to be shouting your opinions to indicate that your opinions are valid & mine are not valid.

Astro, Typing an entire sentence or post in "all caps" constitutes "shouting" in message board protocol...however, use of capital letters in Internet shorthand..such as "OP" or "IMHO" is not shouting, rather it is the common way of using such abbreviations...same with airport abbreviations...like LAX... The use of all caps for a single short word, such as "NOT" or "INTO" is merely to show emphasis.

Cathy, now that I know why you are concerned with the car/shuttle thing, I'd offer this:

I still believe you have plenty of time, though the shuttle/return thing does appear to waste time. What I would consider doing is to keep the phone numbers of the local taxi companies handy. If it appears that your disembark time will be late, call a taxi from the ship and allow your parents to drive straight home to Yuma while you get a taxi direct from 46 to LAX. Or, if it appears you will be off by, say, 10:00 am to 10:30, just go ahead with your plan...(I dawdle and delay getting off the ship in

LA since Ive never had to make a flight and I've still never failed to leave the ship after 9:00).

It is only, perhaps, a five minute drive from 46 to 93... If it takes 5 minutes to load a shuttle and five minute for the shuttle to drive to 93 and five minutes to walk to the vehicle and five minutes to pay the parking fee no five minutes to drive back to 46 and five minutes to load into the vehicle, you've taken an extra half an hour. If you get on the road by 11:00, you should still get to LAX with plenty of time to make the flight. If your airline allows you to check in by Internet, do that to save a little time at the airport...

LAX will often tell you to arrive two hours before a flight, but, IMHO, that is overkill. I usually DO get there two hours early...and always find myself killing a lot of time ain the terminal...

Astro, Typing an entire sentence or post in "all caps" constitutes "shouting" in message board protocol...however, use of capital letters in Internet shorthand..such as "OP" or "IMHO" is not shouting, rather it is the common way of using such abbreviations...same with airport abbreviations...like LAX... The use of all caps for a single short word, such as "NOT" or "INTO" is merely to show emphasis.

Cathy, now that I know why you are concerned with the car/shuttle thing, I'd offer this:

I still believe you have plenty of time, though the shuttle/return thing does appear to waste time. What I would consider doing is to keep the phone numbers of the local taxi companies handy. If it appears that your disembark time will be late, call a taxi from the ship and allow your parents to drive straight home to Yuma while you get a taxi direct from 46 to LAX. Or, if it appears you will be off by, say, 10:00 am to 10:30, just go ahead with your plan...(I dawdle and delay getting off the ship in

LA since Ive never had to make a flight and I've still never failed to leave the ship after 9:00).

It is only, perhaps, a five minute drive from 46 to 93... If it takes 5 minutes to load a shuttle and five minute for the shuttle to drive to 93 and five minutes to walk to the vehicle and five minutes to pay the parking fee no five minutes to drive back to 46 and five minutes to load into the vehicle, you've taken an extra half an hour. If you get on the road by 11:00, you should still get to LAX with plenty of time to make the flight. If your airline allows you to check in by Internet, do that to save a little time at the airport...

LAX will often tell you to arrive two hours before a flight, but, IMHO, that is overkill. I usually DO get there two hours early...and always find myself killing a lot of time ain the terminal...

Steve and Astroflyer,

My nerves got the best of me and I called American Airlines and explained the situation. The lady on the line was so nice and understanding! She switched our flight to the 6 pm and even got us seats together! I know that that leaves us quite a bit of "airport time" but that is preferable to worrying about docking, lines, rushing off the ship and racing to the airport. Now we can enjoy a nice farewell lunch with my parents too. I want to relax on the ship all week without the impending thought of a madcap debarkation.

Thank you so much for all your information and suggestions!

Cathy

Edited by calisilent

Steve and Astroflyer,

My nerves got the best of me and I called American Airlines and explained the situation. The lady on the line was so nice and understanding! She switched our flight to the 6 pm and even got us seats together! I know that that leaves us quite a bit of "airport time" but that is preferable to worrying about docking, lines, rushing off the ship and racing to the airport. Now we can enjoy a nice farewell lunch with my parents too. I want to relax on the ship all week without the impending thought of a madcap debarkation.

Cathy

It is always good to get various opinions that will hopefully help each of us decide about our best option...have a great cruise! :D

Edited by Astro Flyer

Last year when Celebrity docked at 46, at lunch I walked down there to check out the process of disembarking & embarking. The port erects a pretty good size tent. At that time of day, there were still a lot of people mingling around waiting for the shuttles or their rides to pass through to pick them up. I'm guessing the buses were the airport transfers and the shuttles were from berth 93.

There is no cruise ship parking in the marina lots located in this vicinity.

When Disney was here doing Mexico, berth 46 became they're dock and were in process of revamping it when they decided to pull out of LA.

Steve and Astroflyer,

Cathy

Good job on getting your flight change. One less thing to worry about after a wonderful cruise.

We did the same thing in February on Crown Princess. We got the same email from Princess about only one person being able to get on the bus and that turned out to be incorrect - after we cleared immigration onboard, we took our bags to the shuttles, which were full size tour busses. The drivers loaded the bags in the hold, we boarded and off we went. From leaving the ship to arriving back at Berth 93 took about 20 minutes. But we were in an early group disembarking, so I don't know how long it took later groups. Now that you have a 6:00pm flight home, you won't need to worry about bolting off the ship.:)