Piton hike?

azevedan

Has anyone done the Piton hike on St. Lucia? If so, how did you get there? How was the hike? We are active and fit, but 58 & 60. I've hiked Camelback in Phoenix several times on recent business trips, as an example, and we hike in the National Parks. We will have all day; we overnight in St. Lucia on our Windstar cruise.

Thanks!

Here's some past reviews and comments about hiking Gros Piton while in port: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1814095 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1899848

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1931025

Etc....you get the idea...lots more threads about it also.

It is an all day trip. Enjoy!

Thanks for the links! I've been looking over them, and will definitely view the various vids and pix.

So you did it yourself - was there ever a spot when you felt at risk of falling (my hubs doesn't like heights).

thanks again!

Edited by azevedan

Thanks for the links! I've been looking over them, and will definitely view the various vids and pix.

So you did it yourself - was there ever a spot when you felt at risk of falling (my hubs doesn't like heights).

thanks again!

My husband has hiked it three times and I have notified it at all, those are not my threads nor my videos, just info from.your fellow cruisers who have hiked it during their visits. Inhale physical challenges that prevent me doing so. My husband, three times, has never commented on ever feeling like you'll fall.off or anything similar. Lots of reviews on TripAdvisor also, you.could query there for.more info...

My husband (59) and I (47) climbed the Gros Piton last October. We were booked through Spencer Ambrose. The hike took us about 4hrs total (Spencer and crew were surprised and expecting it to take us longer). That time was including the time we sat at the summit (around 35-40 minutes). The last 1/3 of the hike is through the rain forest, it's very rocky and extremely humid. I never felt like I was going to fall off of the mountain, per se, but again, there are some very slippery rocks once you get near the summit. You should be fine, and your guide will assist you. Our guide was AMAZING, he gave us hiking sticks to use. Ask for Marcus for your guide. Good luck with it, you can do it.

We are booked for the Southern Caribbean again leaving San Juan August 30 and are thinking about doing it again :)

The picture in my signature was taken at the halfway point, you can see the Petit Piton in the background. You may already know this, but when you look at photos of the Pitons the one that 'looks' smaller is actually the Gros Piton. Spencer has a funny way of describing the appearance on the way over, but basically the Gros Piton is taller, but since it's much wider, it appears to be the shorter of the two when viewed from photos.

Edited by tpiper55

• 1 month later...

I hiked it as well, and thought it was the most challenging thing I'd ever done until I decided to hike the volcano in St. Kitts this March. The Piton was MUCH more humid and had steep steps but don't remember a fear of falling off, but my legs did give out a few times on the way down. Review and pics in my signature- carnival victory. Have fun!

Edited by SugarStar00

I hiked it as well, and thought it was the most challenging thing I'd ever done until I decided to hike the volcano in St. Kitts this March. The Piton was MUCH more humid and had steep steps but don't remember a fear of falling off, but my legs did give out a few times on the way down. Review and pics in my signature- carnival victory. Have fun!

I enjoyed your review and pics of the hike.

I'm planning to do St Lucia and St Kitts hikes on back to back days lol

just a glutton for punishment.:D

I enjoyed your review and pics of the hike.

I'm planning to do St Lucia and St Kitts hikes on back to back days lol

just a glutton for punishment.:D

Oh boy...good luck! If you're active ( which I'm guessing you are by the 26.2 pic) you'll be fine. The volcano hike is a bit more dangerous, more vertical climbing and such. I just kept saying, how the HECK am I going to get down?!? Heh. It's worth it! Enjoy!!

Oh boy...good luck! If you're active ( which I'm guessing you are by the 26.2 pic) you'll be fine. The volcano hike is a bit more dangerous, more vertical climbing and such. I just kept saying, how the HECK am I going to get down?!? Heh. It's worth it! Enjoy!!

Thanks! Yes,I stay pretty active, but I'm sure the whirlpool will be my friend for several hours after we leave St Kitts lol

Plan to do videos of both hikes, will be sure to post them.