My Alaskan experience

tamirpr

That's good to know for my friends cruising in September. One of the naturalists told us that they left the beginning of September, so be glad we picked a summer cruise. I asked another one since I had friends booked in September, and he said sightings aren't as good as in the summer. I have no doubt they blow smoke up my skirt most of the time. lol :rolleyes:

BQ, we really fell in love with Alaska and am pretty sure we will go back soon. Since you have gone so many times, what is your favorite time of the year to go?

My March trips, were probably my highlight. But I give a slight edge, for a favorite, going in August. :)

I just got back on Friday and let me tell anyone that is going up right now there are a lot of whales out right now. On our sea day on Thursday we easily saw close to 100 whales. Unfortunately we experienced a lot of fog in Frederick Sound the day before so we only were able to see a few that day, but if you are going make sure you are keeping your eyes out as you will see a lot of whales.

In my opinion, the kids issue is not valid. There are no where near the numbers of kids sailing Alaska compared to the Caribbean. I would NEVER suggest anyone book based on that. Do, realize, you have chosen a cruise, with the worse potential weather of the season, doesn't matter what single reports have been, I'm referring to the general averages. Of course you can encounter superb weather. You just have more chance of the other. The other, negative, that clearly is big for my priorities is the lack of daylight, it is dark at 7pm. A few tours will also not be operating. On the positive- if you are a shopper, the discounts can be significant.

HI Budget Queen, we are from Australia and looking at Alaskan cruises for next year, possibly Denali area/Rocky Mountains we have 16 days, wanting to see the bears/salmon and of course the Glaciers, is there any better time weatherise to go to Alaska please?

I'm outspoken :) and have been intolerant of posts who claim their cruises were superior because they didn't go with a sloppy second round trip Seattle trip. Every cruise is a compromise. I greatly enjoy the ease of Seattle cruises, which can offer a great trip. There can be some enhancements that could offer a superior trip- of which, I post the information on Tracy Arm.

Over and over for years and years and years :) ALL you see are raving positive posts about sailing Alaska. Makes no difference the itineraries- they are ALL enjoyed.

Never be swayed from your basic traveling choices and style. It's alarming to me, the posts that are written asking for choices to be made for them, or who only consider the popular tours, etc etc It is a disservice, There is so very much more.

Absolutely correct.....I don't think anyone sees all of Alaska, including our elected officials....It is pretty darn big.....Do what you can and enjoy it, and maybe you can come back sometime and see more of us.....:)

• 2 weeks later...