GalleryOne or closer to port?

mrsgthatsme

I have found a good rate on the GalleryOne for one night pre cruise in March. (It says it is a "french door" room... do any experts know what that means? Is it a first floor room then?) It sounds from TripAdvisor and this site that it is a very nice hotel in a pretty location. However, I have never cruised from Ft Lauderdale before and so have no mental picture of the importance of being in one location of the city vs another. It sounds like it is close to restaurants, the water, etc... but I worry that we might end up spending a lot more on a cab from the airport and to the port than we would at a hotel closer to the pier. We would most likely do the Hampton or Holiday Inn express if we went for somewhere closer. How much more convenient would one of those places be? We will not be arriving until the evening the night before the cruise, so we will not have a whole lot of time in whatever hotel we stay. I am very picky about cleanliness and a safe feeling neighborhood. I have been debating this decision for weeks, and am just ready to book and stop overthinking it! ;) Any thoughts or opinions would be much appreciated!

Definitely just go ahead and book the GalleryOne.

There are three Hampton Inns and three Holiday Inn Express in the airport/cruiseport area. All but one of these--the Holiday Inn Express on SE 17 St (that is not an Express/Suites)--are off the beaten tourist path. The others are only marginally closer to the cruise port, though somewhat easier to get to from the airport.

And I assume what your room will have is what is sometimes called a "french balcony" with french doors that open inward from a door-height window with an iron railing a couple inches out.

I stayed at the Doubletree Gallery One last year. It is close to the port and a clean attractive hotel. The rooms are all suites with a bedroom separated by a door that leads out to a living room and kitchen. This I believe is the french door you mention. It is walking distance to Publix and to a mall. There was not a balcony.

I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Edited by Marie51

The hotel is fine. Taxi from airport is about $25 depending on traffic. taxi from hotel to port is about the same.

There is a publix across the road and a CVS store just up the road (walkable and safe).

Breakfast is expensive so try for an inclusive rate. Otherwise there is a Starbucks across the road and a small french style cafe/deli just across from the hotel.

there is a fine food court in Galleria Mall, just next to the hotel, open from 10 am.

The rooms are all suites with a bedroom separated by a door that leads out to a living room and kitchen.

Sorry to have confused french door with french balcony. Would hardly think the style of door separating the two room areas to be so notable though.

there is a fine food court in Galleria Mall, just next to the hotel, open from 10 am.

While the full serve restaurants remain, most of the counter service eateries are closed while the food court is under renovation to go more "upmarket". Merely coincidence coming after being shut down by the health department twice last year.

While the full serve restaurants remain, most of the counter service eateries are closed while the food court is under renovation to go more "upmarket". Merely coincidence coming after being shut down by the health department twice last year.

When did the food court shut down? we were there January 1st and it was closed, which I thought strange, as the mall was full of people shopping?