Things to do in Cabo

lbfluffy

Ok we are frequent visitors to Cabo. We've gone to Medrano beach, city tours, Lovers Beach, fishing to name a few. Anyway we will be going to Cabo on Princess and we will be there from 7 to 2. Our thoughts this time around is maybe take a taxi to town and just wander around. Any other ideas? thanks.

There are like a gazillion things to do in Cabo. Do you like to be physically active? Try jet skiing, zip lines, 4-wheeler tours on the ocean, horse-back riding, snorkeling, etc. etc.

If you are not interested in physical stuff...you could go to one of several beach resorts that, for a small fee, offer the use of their facilities (pool, beach chairs, umbrellas, etc.) and also provide food and beverages. We once went to the Nikki Beach resort and for a small fee hung out by their pool and on the ocean while being waited on hand and foot. The food was great and the drinks were potent! Loved it!:D There are also several catamaran excursions and boat taxi trips to Lovers Beach if you haven't done that before. We took a catamaran excursion on one of our Carnival cruises that took us snorkeling and then on the return trip we had lunch and all the drinks we could swallow. That was another awesome fun time!

Lots of stuff to do! Hope you find some things you like and that you have an awesome time in Cabo. We love it there and have usually stayed at the SIL's timeshare condo or cruise there from CA.

There are like a gazillion things to do in Cabo. Do you like to be physically active? Try jet skiing, zip lines, 4-wheeler tours on the ocean, horse-back riding, snorkeling, etc. etc.

If you are not interested in physical stuff...you could go to one of several beach resorts that, for a small fee, offer the use of their facilities (pool, beach chairs, umbrellas, etc.) and also provide food and beverages. We once went to the Nikki Beach resort and for a small fee hung out by their pool and on the ocean while being waited on hand and foot. The food was great and the drinks were potent! Loved it!:D There are also several catamaran excursions and boat taxi trips to Lovers Beach if you haven't done that before. We took a catamaran excursion on one of our Carnival cruises that took us snorkeling and then on the return trip we had lunch and all the drinks we could swallow. That was another awesome fun time!

Lots of stuff to do! Hope you find some things you like and that you have an awesome time in Cabo. We love it there and have usually stayed at the SIL's timeshare condo or cruise there from CA.

The drawback for us we are only in cabo 7 to 2. I wish it was longer. I have done pretty much everything you mentioned except the catamaran and the Niki Beach resort. I am not sure I can drink at 8 am, but I am on a vacation so I am sure I can make it work!!

The drawback for us we are only in cabo 7 to 2. I wish it was longer. I have done pretty much everything you mentioned except the catamaran and the Niki Beach resort. I am not sure I can drink at 8 am, but I am on a vacation so I am sure I can make it work!!

You're exactly right, those hours are a big drawback, and the last tender is around 1:30 so it's an even shorter day.

The little museum is cute but I don't think it opens until 9-10 am. There are a lot of things that won't be open until 9. Some of the restaurants on the marina will be open if you want to have a drink and snack. I've also suggested that people partake of the pedicabs and take a tour of the city with them.

Not enough time to do this.

Our last trip to San Jose took about four and a half hours. We had plenty of time to see the town and enjoy the glass blowers, church, new marina, and do a littls shopping.

OP is in Cabo from 7am to 2pm, I believe.

Edited by swedish weave

Can I ask a stupid new cruise question here?

I might go with my family (2 adults, 2 kids) on the Carnival Miracle, which stops in Cabo.

I can speak Spanish well enough to get a taxi to an all-inclusive resort and pay for a day pass there. We might try snorkeling or kayaking in Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta where the water is (usually) calmer and warmer.

- Should we pay for Faster To The Fun so we can be in an earlier tender?

- Do we need Bonine/Dramamine/those wrist bands for the tender ride?

- If we stop by the Walmart for some booze, we have to turn it in to security, or so I've read. Do we have to come back earlier to do that?

Ok we are frequent visitors to Cabo. We've gone to Medrano beach, city tours, Lovers Beach, fishing to name a few. Anyway we will be going to Cabo on Princess and we will be there from 7 to 2. Our thoughts this time around is maybe take a taxi to town and just wander around. Any other ideas? thanks.

If you go to the forum on tripadvisor for Cabo you will find some great info on the top right. There are two articles on do-it-yourself walking tours of the actual town. It sounded interesting to me, seems to have a cute downtown area.

I could spend hours just wandering around the marina. There is a little place that does hour massages for $20 that were awesome, right on the marina.

Yes, those are some strange hours to do a port like Cabo, especially if you must get on the last tender by 1:30 (meaning you should probably be there a little earlier)

Can I ask a stupid new cruise question here?

I might go with my family (2 adults, 2 kids) on the Carnival Miracle, which stops in Cabo.

I can speak Spanish well enough to get a taxi to an all-inclusive resort and pay for a day pass there. We might try snorkeling or kayaking in Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta where the water is (usually) calmer and warmer.

- Should we pay for Faster To The Fun so we can be in an earlier tender?

- Do we need Bonine/Dramamine/those wrist bands for the tender ride?

- If we stop by the Walmart for some booze, we have to turn it in to security, or so I've read. Do we have to come back earlier to do that?

Yes, you do have to turn in your alcohol and you won't get it back until the morning of debarkation. You don't have to come back earlier to do that..you turn it in after you have checked back on-board and gone past security. You just want to make sure you're back on time for check in. As of July 9th, you are no longer able to bring aboard any form of non-alcoholic beverages from ports...that means no sodas, no mixers, no water (not even Carnival water bottles opened or unopened). The rule only pertains to beverages. Stuff like hot sauces and vanilla can be brought on no problem.

Edited by mousey

• 4 weeks later...

If you are not interested in physical stuff...you could go to one of several beach resorts that, for a small fee, offer the use of their facilities (pool, beach chairs, umbrellas, etc.) and also provide food and beverages. We once went to the Nikki Beach resort and for a small fee hung out by their pool and on the ocean while being waited on hand and foot. The food was great and the drinks were potent! Loved it!:D!

CA.

I heard Nikki is closed??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that if it were me with the short time that you have, I would wander up Hildalgo street, maybe stop at Cabo Coffee for a coffee or frozen drink, then wander back down towards the Marina. Once back at the Marina, stroll it (a nice wide walkway) great views of the boats and the Marina. Finally, I would stop at one of the great Cantinas and have a snack and a Margarita (or 3), or a bucket of beer. The people watching from one of the marina Cantinas is a great pass time.

We like either Captain Tony's (try one of their pizzas!), Tiki Bar, or Soloman's Landing (sit at the bar at Soloman's Landing, as their drinks and food are cheaper at the bar.) Also, we like shopping at the flea market close to the cruise docks. Their prices are a bit higher than in town, but not by a whole lot.

From Captain Tony's you are less than a ten minute walk to the cruise dock.

Our problem is similar...maybe worse...

We are on the Star Princess in November...and our itinerary has TWO DAYS in Cabo...sort of...

We arrive in Cabo on a Sunday...but not until 1:00 pm...

We depart on Monday...at 1:00 pm...

And, yeah, it's a tender port...

So, by the time we get off the ship and into port on Sunday, maybe we are there by 2:00? And, on Monday, figure we have to get back to the dock and get in line for a tender along with a couple of thousands of others by around noon?

Even though we have "Anytime Dining", figure that, in order not to have to wait around with a buzzer for a table, we're looking at around 6:00 pm for a tender day one (unless we decide to eat in Cabo instead)...So, we have, maybe four hours to do something in Cabo that first day...and, maybe, 3-4 hours the next day...

I would really rather have 7-8 hours all on one day...

We've been to Cabo enough that we've done the boat ride to Los Arcos...and the tour to Todos Santos...and the 4x4s out into the back country...and most of everything else they offer on the excursions (We've zip-lined and done horseback rides and snorkeled in plenty of other ports--and my wife does not want to do any of those here)...

Though I usually feel fairly comfortable in Mexico despite all the bad PR, we don't really trust things there enough to take non-ship sponsored excursions or to go too far out of the tourist areas on our own...

Looking at the offered excursions, we were thinking of doing this one:

Cabo San Lucas City Highlights

02:00PM - 06:00PM

Adult: $55.95

You will visit: San José del Cabo San José del Cabo

Excursion Length: Approx. 4 hours

Tour Overview

Board your air-conditioned transportation for a scenic drive through the Baja California desert terrain. The varied landscape and indigenous vegetation make for picturesque landscapes, and you'll want to keep an eye out for the outstanding Cardon Cactus, the giants from this desert and consider the world largest cactus.

Your first stop is a local glass-blowing factory. Step inside this colorful wonderland and watch artisans at work. Glass blowing is a true art form, and you will see the centuries old technique firsthand. It is quite mesmerizing to witness, and if you are lucky, a glass hummingbird or flower will be produced right before your eyes. Today, Mexico is well known for affordable, rustic hand-blown drinking glasses, many of them characterized by a cobalt blue band at the rim. The factory employs over 30 artisans and produces as many as 500 one-of-a-kind pieces each day, many made with recycled glass. After touring the factory, take a moment to stop in the well-stocked gift shop so you can bring these lovely, decorative pieces home with you.

Continue your tour at the quaint, authentic Mexican town of San Jose del Cabo. Stroll along the charming streets independently and view the fascinating historical sights. As early as the 1500s, sailors referred to San Jose as a "safe watering place," an important stop for boats that were low on provisions. It was also an area where pirates lay in wait, ready to ambush the Spanish ships that came through the waters loaded with silver and gold. Now, tree lined boulevards mark the shopping district and the town plaza. You will see colorful sidewalk murals painted by schoolchildren and the charming "Zocalo," or town square. The spires of the Church of St. Joseph tower above the town, and its roots can be traced to the San Jose mission, built by Spanish missionaries in 1730.

After seeing so many wonderful sights, the most beautiful vistas are still to come. One of the area's most renowned restaurants offers you a refreshing complimentary beverage while you take in sweeping panoramic views of the Bay of Cabo San Lucas. The restaurant is cantilevered over the water, so you can sit in a nice shaded spot and look out over the bay. You will see the famous El Arco in the distance as well as your ship at anchor.

Prior to returning to port, you will drive around Cabo San Lucas town square, were you can admire a Grey Whale skeleton, the traditional gazebo, the main church and the houses on the hills. You will have the option to be dropped off in the charming cobblestoned town of Cabo San Lucas for independent sightseeing. Stroll the broad pedestrian promenade, admire the pretty boats in the marina, delight to the music of mariachis and follow your nose to the delicious open-air grills that serve fresh seafood tacos, a signature of Cabo. You are responsible for your returning to the ship, but you'll find the 10-minute walk easy and pleasant.

...mostly because it's about the only one we haven't done! ...and, just because the alternate seems to be to just tender in and walk around town shopping on our own...

We would take this Sunday afternoon...and then just take the tender in and walk and shop a little Monday morning.

Anyone ever taken this excursion...or been to San Jose del Cabo? What do you think? Thanks...

If you have not been to San Jose, then that is definitely a good choice for you. San Jose is quite charming and is where the non-party people end up residing.

As for your comfort level with Cabo, be aware there are numerous of us living there either full or part time along with our Canadian friends. Cabo is really Southern Southern California. There are lots of great places it eat in town that are better than cruise ship fare, for instance, fresh, never frozen, out of the water that day sea food.