Free Wifi in any ports?

Barwick Cruiser

We are on the Solstice Sept 11 departing Seattle and visiting Skagway, Ketchikan, Juneau, ISP in Alaska. Does anyone know if there are any places at these ports that offer free wifi? Don't want to have to buy an onboard internet package just to check my email every couple of days or so...

Thanks, Cathy

This site lists a variety of port information including wifi spots, however, I don't know how up to date it is.

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/

It is always best to ask the crew, they always know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you! Great link with lots of valuable info about our ports and that's great advice about asking the crew...this will be the last Solstice to Alaska for the season so they should be up on which ports have the best free wifi!!

Cathy

We found a public library in one port, don't remember which, and used their WiFi. Easy walk and fun to see the neighborhoods.

From looking at the different places listed in the above links it seems many cities offer free wifi at their public libraries. It looks like we should be able to find lots of locations to hook up but I'll def be following some of the crew since it sounds like they know the best places and probably the places with the best and fastest signals! Once we hit the Canadian ports I'll be fine with my 3G.

Whenever you need to find free Wifi, your best source for info is the ship's crew. Many crew members use tablets to keep in touch with home and know exactly where to go. Ask your Room Steward and they will point you to a spot.

Cell phone hotspots are also good in Alaska ports. We used our phones for two weeks in Alaska and spent less than one GB.

We are on the Solstice Sept 11 departing Seattle and visiting Skagway, Ketchikan, Juneau, ISP in Alaska. Does anyone know if there are any places at these ports that offer free wifi? Don't want to have to buy an onboard internet package just to check my email every couple of days or so...

Thanks, Cathy

If you have a smart phone you should be able to check emails on it while in Alaska without being dependent upon free wifi. Ours are easier to take ashore than a tablet or netbook/laptop. Just remember to turn 'data roaming' to off. We have Verizon and have had very good signal strength in Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan. Don't remember if we tried in ISP.

I've used the Juneau library, right at the pier, for free wi-fi. Ketchikan library wouldn't let you unless you live there. Ketchikan does have a reasonable cost wi-fi place upstairs in Salmon Landing ( far right building facing the pier) , and they had another place on a side street in Skagway, if you don't use all your minutes. This info is several years old.

Cruised 2 weeks ago.

Juneau: Juneau Public Library right at the pier. Very fast wifi. Comfortable, welcoming.

Skagway: Skagway Public Library (IIRC it's at 8th and State; about 10 min walk from the NPS visitor center). Decent wifi speed. But get there first thing in the morning. Was told by a local that the wifi crawls later in the day when the masses get there.

Ketchikan: MacDonald's and Safeway in Plaza Mall. Take the free downtown shuttle from the pier.

ISP: All the restaurants had wifi; but you are 'supposed' to purchase something for the password. But we were at the restaurant next to the zipline viewing/disembarking point, and the wifi was not password protected, and we were able to use it without purchasing anything. Your mileage may vary. :)